Any recommendations for refurbished iPhone 6s please?

Posted 15th Dec 2019
Looking to surprise my daughter with a 'new' phone for Christmas.
I've left it pretty late now and looking for the best place to buy.
eBay obviously has lots of refurbished phones but unsure of the condition they will arrive in (and aftercare should things go wrong) Looking at music magpie as they have a special offer on at the moment but again, how good will a 'pristine' phone be?
Obviously as it's a gift, I would like to get the best quality for my hard earned cash.
Not bought refurb before so really need some advice! 😁
Thanks all and merry Christmas! 🎄
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

42 Comments
Music magpie or cex maybe go into one near you so you can see first hand.

Argos also do refubs on eBay, or look at laptops direct who also sell them.
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 15th Dec 2019
Pristine is like new.
Genuinely won't be able to see a difference.

Sometimes even "good" refers to scratches on the headphone jack from inserting headphones.
Bought refurb phones/laptops/TV's from Argos ebay all were brand new ebaystores.co.uk/Arg…355
Edited by: "ellenw" 15th Dec 2019
Bluefusion15/12/2019 14:13

Music magpie or cex maybe go into one near you so you can see first …Music magpie or cex maybe go into one near you so you can see first hand.Argos also do refubs on eBay, or look at laptops direct who also sell them.

Are laptops direct pretty good? Not used them before.
For refubs I’ve used Argos, laptops Direct and a seller on eBay (will post link in a moment) all have been really good. I normally go for the ‘A’ grade or open box versions - had no problems in the past.
Why would u buy and iphone 6 in 2020
Here is a seller I’ve used a lot for phones and although he has cheaper graded versions I always go for the open box ones, so they are like new and most still have a full 12-months Apple cover!

He has all the colours gold, silver, pink etc for around £183.

rover.ebay.com/rov…283
chuckiedoll15/12/2019 14:40

Are laptops direct pretty good? Not used them before.

Wotz warranty? CEX provide 2 years as standard, although a child will usually kill a phone when the child decides a new phone is due, often well-before 2 years and often coincident with peers obtaining latest model.
Bluefusion15/12/2019 14:49

Here is a seller I’ve used a lot for phones and although he has cheaper g …Here is a seller I’ve used a lot for phones and although he has cheaper graded versions I always go for the open box ones, so they are like new and most still have a full 12-months Apple cover!He has all the colours gold, silver, pink etc for around £183.rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293332071283

You definitely won’t be getting a 12 month Apple cover on a 6s though
Realistically OP it is a gamble ordering any refurb at this late stage as a present. All sellers are guilty of bad grading, and there won’t be enough time to return and replace before Christmas. So really only instore at CeX is going to guarantee a condition you will be happy with.
JohnnyRoller15/12/2019 14:58

You definitely won’t be getting a 12 month Apple cover on a 6s though

you may, if the phones not been activated
Bluefusion15/12/2019 15:10

you may, if the phones not been activated

I’m sorry but there won’t be a single 6s that has any Apple cover
Doesn't need actual apple cover.
She is very mature for her age and her current phone would be classed as A grade after over a year of use so it's not that concerning.
It's more if it develops a serious fault after a couple of weeks.
Only ever bought new before so a bit unsure.
chuckiedoll15/12/2019 15:15

Doesn't need actual apple cover. She is very mature for her age and her …Doesn't need actual apple cover. She is very mature for her age and her current phone would be classed as A grade after over a year of use so it's not that concerning. It's more if it develops a serious fault after a couple of weeks. Only ever bought new before so a bit unsure.

Most places will give you 12 months cover for a fault and cex I believe is longer. Also worth checking the warranty with Apple which you can do online with the serial number as if it’s faulty you can also take it back to a store.

I recently purchase an iPhone 7 for a family member that was an open box - and when we activated it - had a full 12 month cover with Apple.
chuckiedoll15/12/2019 15:15

Doesn't need actual apple cover. She is very mature for her age and her …Doesn't need actual apple cover. She is very mature for her age and her current phone would be classed as A grade after over a year of use so it's not that concerning. It's more if it develops a serious fault after a couple of weeks. Only ever bought new before so a bit unsure.

Go for 7 there are loads cheap from the likes of music magpie and they will be here before Christmas, use their own site or eBay one and you can return with no issues.
@katestewart9279 can you help OP out with your recent purchase experienceplease. thanks.
Go for at least a 7, a 6s will likely get no more updates so will be pretty poor within a year or so. My kids have 7s and they still run brilliantly and only reason I’m getting them new phones this Christmas is I got the new iPhone XR deal for £300
toonsquirel15/12/2019 16:05

Go for at least a 7, a 6s will likely get no more updates so will be …Go for at least a 7, a 6s will likely get no more updates so will be pretty poor within a year or so. My kids have 7s and they still run brilliantly and only reason I’m getting them new phones this Christmas is I got the new iPhone XR deal for £300

Looked at the 7 but tbh it's just that bit more than I can afford.
deals6915/12/2019 14:42

Why would u buy and iphone 6 in 2020

If you like apple and that’s what you can afford that’s what you get, I’m sure her daughter will be very happy with it...
chuckiedoll15/12/2019 16:06

Looked at the 7 but tbh it's just that bit more than I can afford.

You can pick a 7 up for similar price too a 6s. I’ll be selling 2 perfect condition 7s for £100-£120 and I don’t think you’ll pick up 6s much under £100. If you got the 6s it may well mean apps she uses stop working once the apps update on new iOS
toonsquirel15/12/2019 16:08

You can pick a 7 up for similar price too a 6s. I’ll be selling 2 perfect c …You can pick a 7 up for similar price too a 6s. I’ll be selling 2 perfect condition 7s for £100-£120 and I don’t think you’ll pick up 6s much under £100. If you got the 6s it may well mean apps she uses stop working once the apps update on new iOS

Wow! Pity that FS/FT is long gone!
I've found an A grade 128gb 6s for under £180 so thought that was a good buy?
Edit: Am looking for 64gb and over.
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 15th Dec 2019
What about contract, mobiles.co.uk/app…Y19

might need more data but worth a look..
chuckiedoll15/12/2019 16:09

Wow! Pity that FS/FT is long gone! (excited)I've found an A grade 128gb …Wow! Pity that FS/FT is long gone! (excited)I've found an A grade 128gb 6s for under £180 so thought that was a good buy?Edit: Am looking for 64gb and over.

You can find the iPhone 7 on eBay stores like envirophone and music magpie etc for £160
toonsquirel15/12/2019 16:16

You can find the iPhone 7 on eBay stores like envirophone and music magpie …You can find the iPhone 7 on eBay stores like envirophone and music magpie etc for £160

For 64gb and over?
Op, is this one any good from Envirofoneshop EBay store?
39384870-xif6z.jpg
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 15th Dec 2019
Toptrumpet15/12/2019 16:49

Op, is this one any good from Music Magpie EBay store?[Image]

Thanks for looking for me, really appreciate it!
Now concerned from what others have said in regards to the longevity of the 6s and am trying to find a 7 in relatively close price. Difficult!
I can’t find a 7 from any of the big hitters for anywhere near £160.
Toptrumpet15/12/2019 17:01

I can’t find a 7 from any of the big hitters for anywhere near £160.

Cheapest a grade that I have found is around £220 :/
What network do you need it on? or would you prefer unlocked?
Toptrumpet15/12/2019 17:05

What network do you need it on? or would you prefer unlocked?

Unlocked or EE please?
The only 7 I can find for under £170 is this (if you could compromise the gb)
39385258-A1AnR.jpg
eBay linky Actually, this one is 128gb condition Good.
I would go for this one for £170. 39385286-j52SG.jpgBetter to future proof yourself for longevity and compromise on the condition a little. If it’s really scratched or something, just return it.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 15th Dec 2019
Toptrumpet15/12/2019 17:17

Actually, this one is 128gb condition Good. I would go for this one for …Actually, this one is 128gb condition Good. I would go for this one for £170.[Image] Better to future proof yourself for longevity and compromise on the condition a little. If it’s really scratched or something, just return it.

I can go a bit dearer (actually caught a flamedeer whilst typing that!)
Condition is important and needs to be more than 32gb as her current one is 32gb and she's had storage issues in the past so the more storage, the better if possible.
39385412-PTBSN.jpgThe 128gb one will be more than she needs. If you’re worried about the condition, this is my one rated ‘Good’ by Music Magpie. No scratches on the screen, just a couple of small digs at the bottom on the back.
Re the gold 128gb IPhone 7 for £170.10, an identical one on envirofone’s actual website is £219.99.
I don’t think you need to spend any more. Buy a nice case with the difference you can afford.
I bought one for my son from Argos refurbished and it looks brand new, came in the original box and had everything included.
I checked the battery capacity as well and that was at 100%
I wouldn’t notice the difference with a new one!
4gadgets.com have always bought from these without problems, I buy excellent condition and have always been mint. 1yr guarantee aswell
I got brand new one from studio for 299
Didn't read all the replies but isn't the IPhone SE a better option?
bally1234516/12/2019 19:36

Didn't read all the replies but isn't the IPhone SE a better option?

She currently has the SE.
I have managed to get a fairly priced 7 in the colour she'd like best.
Thank you all so much for your help!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions