Any Recommendations For Stable, Well-Priced S922X Or S905X3 Android Boxes?

Posted 21st NovEdited by:"louiselouise"
I've been looking at TV (Android) boxes the last week or so as I have the Beelink MiniMXIII (S905/2GB/16GB) which I've had for a few years, no updates as I hoped, but it's been a good media device.

Originally I thought I'd stay at the budget end. The newest budget Amlogic chip gadgets I'm seeing are S905X3, so my search took me to the X3 Pro (32GB) or Plus (64GB) - 4GB DDR4 RAM - made by UGOOS I think - can only see these on Aliexpress at the moment.

There's also the Beelink GT1 Mini-2 which is S905X3/4GB DDR4 too (made it into a Deal, HUKD didn't like it, oops).

This forum thread is quite helpful when looking for current suggestions (when I last looked on there a few years ago they were pretty scathing about ALL Chinese Android boxes, but they seem a bit more positive these days).

At the S922X end (which I'd like, but £90+ is pushing it) I was swayed by the Beelink GT King, and newer GT King Pro, but the forum thread above has a warning saying the GT King's Ethernet is unstable or doesn't work. Not sure about the Pro. Apparently there's also recent comments saying the Pro has been quietly underclocked because of stability issues.

Also, allegations that Beelink have "lied" about the GT1 Ultimate box (see also here), having 2GB RAM when it stated 3GB from sellers (missed that story till now).

Shame, as I thought Beelink were one of the more dependable TV box manufacturers.

X88 King sounds like an amazing deal for under £70 - S922X, 4GB DDR4/128GB, but it gets ripped apart on Freaktab and also from this Russian reviewer on Youtube (translation is a bit shonky but I think the poo emoji tells us everything).

The UGOOS AM6 Pro (4GB/32GB version) looks good and seems to get highly recommended, but I'd need to buy an airmouse for that, the remote is basic, bit disappointing to have to spend more as it's quite costly at £110-odd.

TL;DR: Anyone recommend S905X3 or S922X boxes (1000M LAN/4GB DDR4 RAM) that are stable and, hopefully with codes/promos available?

I'm one of those weird people who quite likes Android on the telly, so as much as I appreciate comments about LibreELEC and the like, they're not for me (and I'm only averagely-geeky enough, anyway).

*Btw, the links added are just for info - not necessarily the best prices.

Thanks, all
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
I can't comment directly as I only run coreelec on all my boxes because it's so much better for media playback. My s905x 2gb ram box can perfectly play a 100gb 4k hevc hdr 10bit file with raw HD audio, it's mad.

Anyway, I can't comment on the android side as I've never used it, but the x96 max air and x96 max plus are s905x3 and cheap, the 4/32gb one is about £24 for the air and £28 for the plus. The only difference seems to be gigabit networking.

I've not got one as I'm happy with my current boxes and the s905x4 is out next year supporting the new AV1 video codex which is backed by Google, Microsoft and loads of other companies and should be better than even hevc. Although I'd you use android everything doesn't run as well anyway so it might not be an issue.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 21st Nov
dcx_badass21/11/2019 02:01

I can't comment directly as I only run coreelec on all my boxes because …I can't comment directly as I only run coreelec on all my boxes because it's so much better for media playback. My s905x 2gb ram box can perfectly play a 100gb 4k hevc hdr 10bit file with raw HD audio, it's mad.Anyway, I can't comment on the android side as I've never used it, but the x96 max air and x96 max plus are s905x3 and cheap, the 4/32gb one is about £24 for the air and £28 for the plus. The only difference seems to be gigabit networking.I've not got one as I'm happy with my current boxes and the s905x4 is out next year supporting the new AV1 video codex which is backed by Google, Microsoft and loads of other companies and should be better than even hevc. Although I'd you use android everything doesn't run as well anyway so it might not be an issue.

I think I'll tinker around with CoreElec etc on the Beelink MiniMXIII when I put it out to pasture (well, move it to another room) and buy a new box.

I suppose there's pros and cons with all of these, but buggy firmware is something I want to avoid. Not sure about the X96 Max Air/Plus. Maybe I should wait till good prices and reviews sway me.
What you using the box for? You just streaming or plugging usb sticks and hard drives into it?
If your just watching free films and tv I'd just get a Fire TV stick
Get a Raspberry Pi 4, it’ll (probably), depending on which of the almost hundreds of thousands of links, most of the best in my opinion and easiest to follow, are probably on the site that you linked to if you have a search on there.

The Raspberry Pi 4 is extremely overpowered by a hell of an amount and you’re not going to have any problems running Kodi and just about any skin you want to do with it.

Google search on that is your friend.
I'm also after an android box because i like android, however i'm leaning towards a firestick now.

When you look at a "decent" android box costing £100 then you might as well go for an Nvidia shield.
Toon_army21/11/2019 05:24

What you using the box for? You just streaming or plugging usb sticks and …What you using the box for? You just streaming or plugging usb sticks and hard drives into it?If your just watching free films and tv I'd just get a Fire TV stick

Yeah, my sister has a Fire TV stick. Really don't want one, the sideloading apps malarkey isn't for me. As I said, I like the Android functionality.
m1keyp1key21/11/2019 10:28

I'm also after an android box because i like android, however i'm leaning …I'm also after an android box because i like android, however i'm leaning towards a firestick now. When you look at a "decent" android box costing £100 then you might as well go for an Nvidia shield.

I agree though that once you get into £90/£100 territory you're better looking at the Shield.

My Beelink MiniMXIII cost me around £25 at the time (it was reasonably newly released, too, and it was cheaper than everywhere else) thanks to a HUKDer mentioning an ebay listing in a thread a few years back.

I'm using it without LibreELEC and the like. It struggles with some 1080p streams, of course 4K isn't even possible. That and the lack of firmware upgrades (and it can be a bit laggy) made me fancy a change. Though I will try LibreELEC etc on it if/when I buy a new one.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 21st Nov
louiselouise21/11/2019 14:44

Yeah, my sister has a Fire TV stick. Really don't want one, the …Yeah, my sister has a Fire TV stick. Really don't want one, the sideloading apps malarkey isn't for me. As I said, I like the Android functionality.I agree though that once you get into £90/£100 territory you're better looking at the Shield.My Beelink MiniMXIII cost me around £25 at the time (it was reasonably newly released, too, and it was cheaper than everywhere else) thanks to a HUKDer mentioning an ebay listing in a thread a few years back.I'm using it without LibreELEC and the like. It struggles with some 1080p streams, of course 4K isn't even possible. That and the lack of firmware upgrades (and it can be a bit laggy) made me fancy a change. Though I will try LibreELEC etc on it if/when I buy a new one.

Piece of cake to sideload stuff, I started doing videos on how to do it on my YouTube channel around 5 years ago the really old school way. Now all you need is an android phone/tablet install a few film/tv apps on it, then install apps2fire and it send them to the stick via your wifi, takes maybes thirty seconds to a minute per app. I've got a paid service for them free apps so I get better quality links, I just find the free ones dreadful quality and no surround sound.
I must have had close to a 100 Android boxes over the years to review and they just all seem the same, the stick is just so much easier and friendly for people who aren't that clued up. I've got an Nvidia Shield and don't even use that to anywhere near its potential, another waste of money.
Toon_army21/11/2019 14:54

Piece of cake to sideload stuff, I started doing videos on how to do it on …Piece of cake to sideload stuff, I started doing videos on how to do it on my YouTube channel around 5 years ago the really old school way. Now all you need is an android phone/tablet install a few film/tv apps on it, then install apps2fire and it send them to the stick via your wifi, takes maybes thirty seconds to a minute per app. I've got a paid service for them free apps so I get better quality links, I just find the free ones dreadful quality and no surround sound.I must have had close to a 100 Android boxes over the years to review and they just all seem the same, the stick is just so much easier and friendly for people who aren't that clued up. I've got an Nvidia Shield and don't even use that to anywhere near its potential, another waste of money.

I've done some reading around to help my sister install apps but I just don't like dongles and Fire Stick isn't for me, too limited in many ways.

I am reasonably clued up, a bit more than some, I'd hope.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 21st Nov
louiselouise21/11/2019 15:51

I've done some reading around to help my sister install apps but I just …I've done some reading around to help my sister install apps but I just don't like dongles and Fire Stick isn't for me, too limited in many ways.I am reasonably clued up, a bit more than some, I'd hope.

Well if it's just TV shows and films you honestly can't go wrong. Ever get stuck with out drop me a message always happy to help
My old android box is an s812 2/16gb what would a decent upgrade be from this?

I've no idea the difference in performance of these chips.

Just looking to keep my options open and don't want to get a firestick if there a good deal on an android box that's a decent upgrade.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants