Any recommendations for tough hiking boots

With summer approaching I will have time to start my climbing and hiking so on the lookout for some rugged boots to try and keep up.
Looking for boots that are:
1.Waterproof
2. Can stand rocky environments
3. Will last a while
4. Comfy

Size uk 9

12 Comments

aren't Magnums what the army use?

Original Poster

Yes they are, can't believe I forgot about that brand....cheers.

For hiking don't wear Magnums (ex-soldier, so speaking from experience!).

A really good brand is Meindl - that's what I wear (I live in the hills, so they get a good workout on a weekly basis, all year round). You need to get to an outdoor shop (e.g. Blacks, Cotswold Outdoors, a local outdoor shop) & try a few different ones.

I suggest that you go for fabric as opposed to leather (easier to maintain, and generally lighter).

I use Brashers & find them great

Not the best review for Meindls however...

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the money, 12 May 2009
By ][COLOR=#003399]Cristalis "cristal pictures"[/COLOR] (UK) - ][COLOR=#003399]See all my reviews[/COLOR]
bought a pair of these Meindls to walk in Nepal. On the way to Anapura base camp one of my soles came off. They had disintergrated! I had not expected this as the boots were almost brand new. I had to proceed on my guide's plastic bath slippers, not a pleasant experience. Luckely I could buy a pair of Chinese trainers the next day in the only shop in a nearby village. I finished my trek on these 10 dollar trainers and I am still walking on them two years later! So I think Meindl has to improve on its quality. I will think twice before I buy any Meindl boots again!

Original Poster

I am being pulled in all directions........

]These are superb...no stock on Amazon though

James...;5343913

I use Brashers & find them great

+1

If you live anywhere near a decent hiking shop, go see them and they will get you to try several pairs to see what feels best for you. its a very personal thing! personally, I would recommend Altbergs - beat magnums hands down (also from lots of walking/military experience)

On the way to Anapura base camp one of my soles came off.

lol - happened to one pair of my Meindls as well! took them back, got given a higher spec pair for no extra cost - all sorted:thumbsup:

The guy in the shop said he had never heard of it happening before, so it was interesting to read that it happened to someone else. Maybe problems within the bootmaking process for a while?

Try several pairs to see what feels best for you. its a very personal … Try several pairs to see what feels best for you. its a very personal thing!

Agreed:thumbsup:

If you are wanting a good pair of boots why not try hi-tech i have got a pair of v lite ion mask from yoemans i have worn these on my silver practice and on most camps as well as going up most of the major hills in the peak district. if you feel like you want something better depending on what your doing, my friend went up everist wearing some scarpers so it is up to you hope this heps.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game73844442
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423114449
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047070
    4. Forza Motorsport 7 Demo goes live on Xbox One and PC (6pm - 19/09)56

See more discussions