Groups

any semi decent 12-14in laptops under £200

Hi, I've been looking around for a smallish laptop in the 12-14in size category. It will mostly be used for word processing, emails, browsing and shopping on internet, transcribing audio etc. Most of the ones I've seen are celeron processors which I don't know if are any good or not, and this size laptop is difficult to find. Any recommendations or what to look for? Thanks.

10 Comments

In my opinion it's not worth looking at new laptops in that price range as they typically fall apart after 12-18months requiring a new machine to be purchased. I'd consider refurbished business models like

rectech.co.uk/6,1…tml

ebay.co.uk/itm…403?hash=item3607a6f9bb:g:zvoAAOSw~gRV4HeU

ebay.co.uk/itm…619?hash=item4b08c3e33b:g:6s0AAOSwRH5XKg-6

Performance wise these will be faster than anything you can pick up new by a good margin, they will be well built and parts should you manage to break something very cheap.

In that price range I'd look at chromebooks...

phoenix4102

Most of the ones I've seen are celeron processors which I don't know if … Most of the ones I've seen are celeron processors which I don't know if are any good or not

Depends on the model, the ones ending U are better than those starting N and there's a fair spread among the latter.

Original Poster

Astec123

In my opinion it's not worth looking at new laptops in that price range … In my opinion it's not worth looking at new laptops in that price range as they typically fall apart after 12-18months requiring a new machine to be purchased. I'd consider refurbished business models likehttp://www.rectech.co.uk/6,1518,laptops.laptops_100_149.hp_elitebook_2570p_2.6ghz_320gb_4gb_128.htmlhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-HP-Elitebook-2570p-CHEAP-Laptop-Core-i5-3320M-2-60Ghz-4GB-250GB-Warranty-/232056617403?hash=item3607a6f9bb:g:zvoAAOSw~gRV4HeUhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6430-Laptop-Core-i5-3340M-2-70GHz-4GB-Ram-320GB-HDD-Warranty-HDMI-/322269602619?hash=item4b08c3e33b:g:6s0AAOSwRH5XKg-6Performance wise these will be faster than anything you can pick up new by a good margin, they will be well built and parts should you manage to break something very cheap.

Hi, thanks for the links, I will take a look. I've never bought a refurbished one before or from the internet. What's it like if you have a problem with the laptop?, does it cost a lot to send back?

phoenix4102

Hi, thanks for the links, I will take a look. I've never bought a … Hi, thanks for the links, I will take a look. I've never bought a refurbished one before or from the internet. What's it like if you have a problem with the laptop?, does it cost a lot to send back?

The last 2 come with 12 month warranties and the usual support applies, the seller has been posted on HUKD many times with very favourable comments generally and very few people who had a poor experience with them (most of the negative comments I've read seem to be people expecting 2nd hand laptops to look like new and having vastly overset their expectations), the first one via rectech has a 90day warranty but can be extended but I've never used rectech so can't comment on the level of service.

I would add that these computers will generally have been used regularly for several years so if they are going to break it will be as a result of transporting them to you. After that the failure rate is quite favourable for you as a buyer.

Astec123

In my opinion it's not worth looking at new laptops in that price range … In my opinion it's not worth looking at new laptops in that price range as they typically fall apart after 12-18months requiring a new machine to be purchased. I'd consider refurbished business models likehttp://www.rectech.co.uk/6,1518,laptops.laptops_100_149.hp_elitebook_2570p_2.6ghz_320gb_4gb_128.htmlhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-HP-Elitebook-2570p-CHEAP-Laptop-Core-i5-3320M-2-60Ghz-4GB-250GB-Warranty-/232056617403?hash=item3607a6f9bb:g:zvoAAOSw~gRV4HeUhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6430-Laptop-Core-i5-3340M-2-70GHz-4GB-Ram-320GB-HDD-Warranty-HDMI-/322269602619?hash=item4b08c3e33b:g:6s0AAOSwRH5XKg-6Performance wise these will be faster than anything you can pick up new by a good margin, they will be well built and parts should you manage to break something very cheap.

+1 - If your looking for lightweight and powerful laptops then the HP 2570p EliteBooks or the Lenovo X220/X230 ThinkPads would probably fit you to a tee. All three of them - 2570p, X220 & X230 - can be purchased relatively cheap online and you can upgrade them easily as well; note that all three can accommodate a maximum of 16GB DDR3 RAM (2x8GB DDR3 SODIMMs) but only the 2570p can have it's CPU upgraded.

2570p - Has a handy access maintenance panel at the base, which allows you access to the CPU, HSF (Heat Sink & Fan), RAM, HDD, Optical Drive (removing retention screw) and WiFi Card. It can also handle 2 x 9.5mm HDD/SSHD/SDD with the second storage device being made available via a 2nd HDD Caddy (can be easily purchased off of eBay or other online vendors). Here's a link to a handy technical page, which covers various upgrade options for this model of laptop. BTW it has native USB 3 support along with an Express Card slot and also support for a docking station as well.

X220 - Older model series but still quite good to work with. CPU can't be upgraded (it's the Sandy Bridge 2nd Gen Model Series) unless you replace the entire motherboard, as the CPUs are integrated into the motherboard (non socket removable). BIOS can be easily upgraded with third party BIOS to all for the removal of hardware whitelisting, to allow for the installation of non-Lenovo branded WiFi & WWAN Cards (do so at your own risk). Has support for an MSATA SSD (you would lose access to WWAN Support though, as the MSATA SSD occupies that slot) and also a the dedicated storage bay is limited to 2.5" devices with a maximum height of 7mm - you can install storage devices with a height of 9.5mm BUT it requires a bit of mucking around within the ThinkPad to do it. Can easily accommodate third party batteries (non battery authentication for this model) but I tend to stick with OEM batteries for the compatibility & support. Can also handle docking stations, which would allow for the installation of a third storage device via a 2nd HDD Caddy within the docking station itself (the Ultrabase model).

X230 - Pretty much the same as the X220 except it comes with the Ivy Bridge 3rd Gen CPUs, the keyboard is the newer six row chiclet model (older keyboards are the seven row series, which I personally find easier for typing on), has battery authentication in place now (you need to buy OEM only batteries for this model range as third party batteries won't work) which I think maybe bypassed soon via third party BIOS (can't guarantee this plus do so at your own risk!) and also has hardware whitelisting in place with regards to WiFi & WWAN Cards.

If there are no Windows only apps that you need then the usage you suggested in your first post are perfectly suited to a Chromebook. you will get a brand new laptop with far better performance than a new windows based laptop for the price with none of the risk you get buying a refurb ex-corp machine.

Edited by: "Uridium" 22nd Sep 2016

Original Poster

Scotty Boy

+1 - If your looking for lightweight and powerful laptops then the HP … +1 - If your looking for lightweight and powerful laptops then the HP 2570p EliteBooks or the Lenovo X220/X230 ThinkPads would probably fit you to a tee. All three of them - 2570p, X220 & X230 - can be purchased relatively cheap online and you can upgrade them easily as well; note that all three can accommodate a maximum of 16GB DDR3 RAM (2x8GB DDR3 SODIMMs) but only the 2570p can have it's CPU upgraded.2570p - Has a handy access maintenance panel at the base, which allows you access to the CPU, HSF (Heat Sink & Fan), RAM, HDD, Optical Drive (removing retention screw) and WiFi Card. It can also handle 2 x 9.5mm HDD/SSHD/SDD with the second storage device being made available via a 2nd HDD Caddy (can be easily purchased off of eBay or other online vendors). Here's a link to a handy technical page, which covers various upgrade options for this model of laptop. BTW it has native USB 3 support along with an Express Card slot and also support for a docking station as well.X220 - Older model series but still quite good to work with. CPU can't be upgraded (it's the Sandy Bridge 2nd Gen Model Series) unless you replace the entire motherboard, as the CPUs are integrated into the motherboard (non socket removable). BIOS can be easily upgraded with third party BIOS to all for the removal of hardware whitelisting, to allow for the installation of non-Lenovo branded WiFi & WWAN Cards (do so at your own risk). Has support for an MSATA SSD (you would lose access to WWAN Support though, as the MSATA SSD occupies that slot) and also a the dedicated storage bay is limited to 2.5" devices with a maximum height of 7mm - you can install storage devices with a height of 9.5mm BUT it requires a bit of mucking around within the ThinkPad to do it. Can easily accommodate third party batteries (non battery authentication for this model) but I tend to stick with OEM batteries for the compatibility & support. Can also handle docking stations, which would allow for the installation of a third storage device via a 2nd HDD Caddy within the docking station itself (the Ultrabase model).X230 - Pretty much the same as the X220 except it comes with the Ivy Bridge 3rd Gen CPUs, the keyboard is the newer six row chiclet model (older keyboards are the seven row series, which I personally find easier for typing on), has battery authentication in place now (you need to buy OEM only batteries for this model range as third party batteries won't work) which I think maybe bypassed soon via third party BIOS (can't guarantee this plus do so at your own risk!) and also has hardware whitelisting in place with regards to WiFi & WWAN Cards.

Hi, thanks for all the detailed info.

Original Poster

Uridium

If there are no Windows only apps that you need then the usage you … If there are no Windows only apps that you need then the usage you suggested in your first post are perfectly suited to a Chromebook. you will get a brand new laptop with far better performance than a new windows based laptop for the price with none of the risk you get buying a refurb ex-corp machine.Hi, I need something where I can do word processing offline, how would I do that on chrome books?

phoenix4102

Google Docs has an offline mode.
    documents can be created and edited offline and stored on either the internal SSD storage or an SD Card.
    Once online Docs sync back to Google Drive.

Edited by: "Uridium" 22nd Sep 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any PS4 News Here29313798
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553748
      3. 15 ways you can hack that Amazon Dash Button78
      4. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?98

See more discussions