Groups

Any STEAM users here?

Just signed up after someone gifted me a game of Half-Life 2 - now downloading - and wondering what others' experiences have been. Seems a decent way to play games if on the move a lot

21 Comments

Banned

oh flip, thought this was going to be something i could participate in, thought it was going to be about steamers, got me in here under false pretences

Had to download it with Football Manager, hate it, there's no point in it. If i'm in an important match and i need to make a sub, FM closes down and an ad for sigames.com comes up. So annoying, and sometimes i cant get on FM, becuase it says more than one application of steam is running. SO annoying :x

Steam is brilliant.
    It revolutionised the game industry and is in the process of seriously affecting the pricing models.
    Not so great for on the move as the games are several gigabytes, especially if you have many games in your account, but Fantastic if you get a new PC, you dont have to worry about serial numbers, updates or anything it all just works!

Not about ironing then?

Original Poster

Sorry to disappoint the ironer (and whatever sassie is on about - lol), and good to hear different opinions. Jetpac's and Hayden's answers were what I was expecting. Just hope borolad's experiences are due to his poor pc skills

Liddle ol' me;4947411

Sorry to disappoint the ironer (and whatever sassie is on about - lol), … Sorry to disappoint the ironer (and whatever sassie is on about - lol), and good to hear different opinions. Jetpac's and Hayden's answers were what I was expecting. Just hope borolad's experiences are due to his poor pc skills

Steamers - for cooking!

Original Poster

chesso;4947425

Steamers - for cooking!

ah right - I thought she might have been a train-spotter or summat :?

Original Poster

and btw, a very decent chap over on another forum gifted me this game as he had a couple apparently. Wonder why he had two copies - are there any other ways of getting games other than buying from the STEAM store..?

i do i play css n stuff like that, friends thing is useful for in a clan etc

Also can get games off it which is cool and play on any pc

Ive got
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead
    HL Episode 2 and
    Portal Installed

Also got a spare Half Life 2

Liddle ol' me;4947458

and btw, a very decent chap over on another forum gifted me this game as … and btw, a very decent chap over on another forum gifted me this game as he had a couple apparently. Wonder why he had two copies - are there any other ways of getting games other than buying from the STEAM store..?

WHat probably happened was that he already owned Half-life 2 from a while back and then bought the Orange Box (Which was the cheapest way to get the new half-life episode, Portal and the excellent Team Fortress 2) which also includes Half-Life 2 (something that i would imagine most people who bout the package didn't need) SO as a result has 2 copies of the game :P

I myself got the Black box (which came bundled i with certain ATI GFX cards) and didnt have HL2 so i dont have 2 copies :P

But if you are new to steam and like multiplayer games i would Definatly recomment checking out Team Fortress 2 and if you are a single player junkie, hell if yuo just like games in general check out Portal. One of the best shooters/puzzlers i have ever come across.

I'm not a fan of Steam - while some of the concepts are good, there's a lot of bad points to it that have been there from the start and never been resolved. The almost complete lack of error handling is unbelievable, I've seen several installs where Steam has just decided to die and thrown up some random generic error or not even opened its main window. I've never managed to get any useful advice from Valve or any of their community forums as with no actual reference to what has gone wrong it makes troubleshooting impossible.

The DRM aspect can be good as it lets you play on any PC without requiring a CD however at the same time it can be incredibly frustrating when Steam decides you're not meant to be able to play a game and denies you access. When HL2 came out I was away from an internet connection for a good chunk of time each day, I activated HL2 and made sure I'd logged into Steam as late as possible before going offline. Steam frequently decided that I shouldn't be playing the game and wanted me to re-authenticate online which I couldn't do. I've also had its update system get stuck which meant I couldn't play those games until Steam managed to sort itself out.

It's here to stay, I do wish they'd sort some of the issues that have been there from the start but it seems unlikely they ever will.

John

Liddle ol' me;4947458

and btw, a very decent chap over on another forum gifted me this game as … and btw, a very decent chap over on another forum gifted me this game as he had a couple apparently. Wonder why he had two copies - are there any other ways of getting games other than buying from the STEAM store..?

Yes, you can often buy physical copies of the games (usually the big ones) which depending on the deal you find can be considerably less than the Steam store especially with the pound not being that strong against the dollar right now. I prefer getting a DVD version as my download speed isn't great and it's handy to have the media although you can backup your steam install to restore back to your own system or any other.

John

Johnmcl7;4947902

Yes, you can often buy physical copies of the games (usually the big … Yes, you can often buy physical copies of the games (usually the big ones) which depending on the deal you find can be considerably less than the Steam store especially with the pound not being that strong against the dollar right now. I prefer getting a DVD version as my download speed isn't great and it's handy to have the media although you can backup your steam install to restore back to your own system or any other.John

It's pretty much only the ones developed by Valave though, just becauase it's available to buy on Steam doesn't mean to you tie a store bought retail copy to your account once you get home. These are the only ones allowed:

Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
    Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
    Dawn of War Soulstorm CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM-OP9Q
    Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
    F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
    GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Lost Planet: Colonies Edition is not accepted on Steam
    MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
    RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
    Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q

Original Poster

Thanks John and UberTiger. All good info, esp the list of retail games. So I take it that if I do get one of the original discs with the correct key format, once I attach it to my account I'll still be able to download that game from STEAM onto another PC? That would be nifty if so.

Liddle ol' me;4952073

Thanks John and UberTiger. All good info, esp the list of retail games. … Thanks John and UberTiger. All good info, esp the list of retail games. So I take it that if I do get one of the original discs with the correct key format, once I attach it to my account I'll still be able to download that game from STEAM onto another PC? That would be nifty if so.

100% correct.
    That is one of the best features of steam you dont need the discs ones the key is attached

Original Poster

Jetpac;4952122

100% correct. That is one of the best features of steam you dont need … 100% correct. That is one of the best features of steam you dont need the discs ones the key is attached

Excellent. It's a pain having to use a disc to play a game that is already on your HDD. Although tbh, the easiest method is just to get a no disc crack. Perhaps STEAM is good for the industry though - i.e. as long as games are cheap enough, it might discourage people doing this.

Liddle ol' me;4952073

Thanks John and UberTiger. All good info, esp the list of retail games. … Thanks John and UberTiger. All good info, esp the list of retail games. So I take it that if I do get one of the original discs with the correct key format, once I attach it to my account I'll still be able to download that game from STEAM onto another PC? That would be nifty if so.

Yes, this is a pretty standard feature of the digital distribution platforms like stardock central (and presumably Impulse) and steam. With steam the opposite generally applies also, if you buy a boxed version one of the games you cannot use it without having steam installed.

Johnmcl7;4947899

I'm not a fan of Steam - while some of the concepts are good, there's a … I'm not a fan of Steam - while some of the concepts are good, there's a lot of bad points to it that have been there from the start and never been resolved.

I'd agree, steam is a nice idea but it's not been terribly well implemented.

For example, a problem I've had several times recently is related to the issue you've mentioned. Steam and it's games run over several servers but there's never any notification when any of those servers are having problems, so the game appears to be simply broken. The first couple of times it happened to me I tried everything to get the games working again, tweaking settings, reinstalling etc. Company of heroes, for example, kept giving me the baffling message asking for the CD! Now if any game on steam stops working I'm just going to say sod it and wait a day or two and see if it starts working again on it's own before I start troubleshooting.

Then there's the 'show game updates and new releases' option. For a start there's no reason why adverts and messages about my current games should be combined into one option, and unless I've got a broken install it seems that it's not very well maintained, I hardly ever get told about updates to my games, the first thing I know about them is when I start playing a game and something's changed. I'm glad I don't play any tournament matches in steam games, It must be a nightmare having to deal with last minute changes (there's no way to revert to a previous version of the game, you can either use the currently installed version or the latest version).

I could go on for a dozen more paragraphs listing the problems with steam, my overall feeling right now is that steam is more trouble than it's worth. What should be a program offering extra features just isn't transparent enough and a bit unfriendly as well.

I am looking forward to trying Stardock's Impulse when I find a reasonably priced game on it since when I used Stardock Central for GalCiv a few years ago it was excellent.

Liddle ol' me;4952198

Excellent. It's a pain having to use a disc to play a game that is … Excellent. It's a pain having to use a disc to play a game that is already on your HDD.

Actually I noticed in the last year or so a lot of games games seem to have dropped the CD check and you can now play them without the disk in the drive.

Original Poster

Thanks EndlessWaves. That makes two pretty comprehensive replies outlining problems. Starting to sound like less of a good idea. I think I'll play my way through the one game I have and maybe try a couple of demos before making any decisions. Thanks again.

to honest ive never had any issues with it, and ive had team for years! (think ive got a 6 or 7 digit steam id)

Just to clarify my post, I'm not saying I'd never use steam. I will use it for games that require it, I just generally prefer to choose the non-steam option when there is a choice.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best 40 inch TV for £30033
      2. Ask and Misc quieter since for sale has gone?915
      3. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay79
      4. 10% Argos code with glitch40

See more discussions