Groups

Any substitutes for Quince paste?

I have bought a lovely new Morroco cookery book and it uses Quince paste. Is there any substitute? I couldn't find in Tesco any ideas please? Thanks in advance.

7 Comments

Sainsburys and Waitrose sell it.

It's made out of quince so I don't know what alternative there could be

Which book did you buy, please? I love a tagine! :giggle:

Original Poster

I just love the book it is fab, called A Little Taste of Morroco. Buy it you will not be disappointed.:)

Quice in the raw form (fruit) tastes a bit like a mix of Apple and Pear, perhaps with a few floral notes (elderflower), but you dont eat it raw. The Quice Paste is like a jam - just cooked fruit, a dash of lemon juice, sweetened then sieved.

your cheapest option would be a smartprice apple sauce - the blended paste stuff not with chunks of apple in it. To this I would add a tablespoon of elderflower cordial if you have some to hand. This would sweeten the apple a bit and give the floral notes.

Original Poster

ianstanley;4843570

Quice in the raw form (fruit) tastes a bit like a mix of Apple and Pear, … Quice in the raw form (fruit) tastes a bit like a mix of Apple and Pear, perhaps with a few floral notes (elderflower), but you dont eat it raw. The Quice Paste is like a jam - just cooked fruit, a dash of lemon juice, sweetened then sieved. your cheapest option would be a smartprice apple sauce - the blended paste stuff not with chunks of apple in it. To this I would add a tablespoon of elderflower cordial if you have some to hand. This would sweeten the apple a bit and give the floral notes.

Oh thank you this sounds a good option. :-D

As mentioned before, they sell it in Waitrose on the cheese counter.
    IMO it is a lot more pear-ish than appley - and it has a honeyish flavour too.
    It is absolutely delicious.

Original Poster

Thank you everyone at least I know where to buy it now

You could try as a substitute dulce de guayaba, goiabada or guava paste/preserves.This is not very different, especially from the dark quince paste found in Argentina/Uruguay which is combined there with cheese (cheddar or like) as a basic dessert. In Brazil, the combination is with guava paste, called Romeo and Juliet. Any Latin American grocery store will have some form of guava preparation. Try it. You will not be disappointed.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions