Found 28th Aug 2009
Didn't get into Uni and don't know what to do... any suggestions?

I've got good qualifications

32 Comments

can you not apply through clearing???? perhaps other uni's?

yeah clearing is the way to do it, thats how I got into my uni (14 years ago!, **** I am getting old)

you can call the universities directly, see if they have any places and arrange a meeting with them

Original Poster

hassony;6144460

yeah clearing is the way to do it, thats how I got into my uni (14 years … yeah clearing is the way to do it, thats how I got into my uni (14 years ago!, **** I am getting old)you can call the universities directly, see if they have any places and arrange a meeting with them

ive been looking at clearing vacancies online and there are none. would you suggest phoning th uni?

Travel round the world, visit as many places as you can, meet as many people as you can, challenge yourself, try something new daily, take chances, never accept no for an answer, never say never, be generous to strangers. ;-)

OR

Get a crap job, marry a dufus, spit out a few sprogs, get old and die! :whistling:

Banned

Dont bother wasting your money on Uni. Go get yourself a low level job in a supermarket and work your way up the ladder. You could be a regional or national manager or director by the age of 30 :thumbsup:

cribert;6144471

ive been looking at clearing vacancies online and there are none. would … ive been looking at clearing vacancies online and there are none. would you suggest phoning th uni?

give admissions a ring....you dont have anything to lose....explain the situation and they will be able to advise you either way

Original Poster

sculpturatus;6144487

Dont bother wasting your money on Uni. Go get yourself a low level job … Dont bother wasting your money on Uni. Go get yourself a low level job in a supermarket and work your way up the ladder. You could be a regional or national manager or director by the age of 30 :thumbsup:

its an option, i already work in tesco on the customer service desk but i bloody hate the place

cribert;6144471

ive been looking at clearing vacancies online and there are none. would … ive been looking at clearing vacancies online and there are none. would you suggest phoning th uni?

yes get in quick if you can't find one ask to be put on waiting lists as there are always people who drop out after the first couple of weeks

Original Poster

lil_tiger;6144502

give admissions a ring....you dont have anything to lose....explain the … give admissions a ring....you dont have anything to lose....explain the situation and they will be able to advise you either way

thanks, do you mean the uni? or ucas?

travek the world and go to uni next year, i wish i had :thumbsup: the uni websites should have all their vacancies there

good luck with whatever you do

cribert;6144506

its an option, i already work in tesco on the customer service desk but i … its an option, i already work in tesco on the customer service desk but i bloody hate the place

to be honest...I finished uni this year...in fact I havent even graduated officially yet (Novemer) and if I had the choice again I wouldnt have gone....the experience is amaing but at the end of it (unless you get the handouts etc) all you have is a huge debt...and no real advantage over the people that have been working for the 3 years youve been studying...

try to call all the uni's that you are intersted in and that do your course

what course do you want to do by the way?

cribert;6144513

thanks, do you mean the uni? or ucas?

the uni's direct....I think ucas only really deal with allocating places (i.e you are just a name to them) uni's generally are more interested in the person....also if you phone one and get an interview or whatever....make sure you call a few different ones...dont rely on one

Original Poster

hassony;6144534

try to call all the uni's that you are intersted in and that do your … try to call all the uni's that you are intersted in and that do your course what course do you want to do by the way?

Quantity Surveying, I went to college for 2 years, gaining a HND in Quantity Surveying, but I only got an overall B, when they required an overall A, so I didnt get on the course:x

Also have 2 B's a C, D and an Int 2 A lol

Original Poster

lil_tiger;6144549

the uni's direct....I think ucas only really deal with allocating places … the uni's direct....I think ucas only really deal with allocating places (i.e you are just a name to them) uni's generally are more interested in the person....also if you phone one and get an interview or whatever....make sure you call a few different ones...dont rely on one

thanks repped for all your help

also repped everyone else for their help

cribert;6144559

Quantity Surveying, I went to college for 2 years, gaining a HND in … Quantity Surveying, I went to college for 2 years, gaining a HND in Quantity Surveying, but I only got an overall B, when they required an overall A, so I didnt get on the course:xAlso have 2 B's a C, D and an Int 2 A lol

its only 1 grade below....serious....get off HUKD find the admissions number and give them a ring asap

Original Poster

lil_tiger;6144575

its only 1 grade below....serious....get off HUKD find the admissions … its only 1 grade below....serious....get off HUKD find the admissions number and give them a ring asap

ano its a load of b******s, ill try again:)

cribert;6144595

ano its a load of b******s, ill try again:)

good luck and let us know how you go on :thumbsup:

lil_tiger;6144531

to be honest...I finished uni this year...in fact I havent even graduated … to be honest...I finished uni this year...in fact I havent even graduated officially yet (Novemer) and if I had the choice again I wouldnt have gone....the experience is amaing but at the end of it (unless you get the handouts etc) ]all you have is a huge debt...and no real advantage over the people that have been working for the 3 years youve been studying...

im scottish and studying in scotland so the governametn pay everything for me :lol::p and my parents and grandparents give me all the dosh i need and ive got a small loan 600 a year :lol:

Original Poster

micoo;6144606

im scottish and studying in scotland so the governametn pay everything … im scottish and studying in scotland so the governametn pay everything for me :lol::p and my parents and grandparents give me all the dosh i need and ive got a small loan 600 a year :lol:

yea moneys not the issue for me either:roll:not bad the scottish system eh, plus I dont even have a loan because my part-time job pays quite well

jeany123;6144512

yes get in quick if you can't find one ask to be put on waiting lists as … yes get in quick if you can't find one ask to be put on waiting lists as there are always people who drop out after the first couple of weeks

+1

yeah, there is always a lot of movement in first few weeks

or maybe get on another course at a uni and swap courses after a few weeks. if this doesn't work you could always drop out.

Original Poster

blackpeppa;6144621

+1yeah, there is always a lot of movement in first few weeksor maybe get … +1yeah, there is always a lot of movement in first few weeksor maybe get on another course at a uni and swap courses after a few weeks. if this doesn't work you could always drop out.

only thing if i drop out i get made to pay for the next course i go on

I am not sure uni is the way to go now, none took any notice of my degree until I added to it with a post graduate course.

micoo;6144606

im scottish and studying in scotland so the governametn pay everything … im scottish and studying in scotland so the governametn pay everything for me :lol::p and my parents and grandparents give me all the dosh i need and ive got a small loan 600 a year :lol:

good for you...im english and studied in england :?

my parents offered to pay but as I want to do the LPC next year (that costs 10k for 1 year and you cannot get a loan for) I said I would take loans out for uni and they could pay for the LPC

My mum (thankfully) set up a standing order for £500/month into my account for me to live on (with the loans covering rent and uni) so I had the financial help I needed....

The STUPID system in england means if your parents earn p-nuts the government look out for you....if your parents earn an honest wage and do everything by the book they couldnt give a toss :roll:

so here I am.....graduated law student in almost 30k of debt (all uni not credit cards etc)

lil_tiger;6144671

good for you...im english and studied in england :?my parents offered to … good for you...im english and studied in england :?my parents offered to pay but as I want to do the LPC next year (that costs 10k for 1 year and you cannot get a loan for) I said I would take loans out for uni and they could pay for the LPCMy mum (thankfully) set up a standing order for £500/month into my account for me to live on (with the loans covering rent and uni) so I had the financial help I needed....The STUPID system in england means if your parents earn p-nuts the government look out for you....if your parents earn an honest wage and do everything by the book they couldnt give a toss :roll:so here I am.....graduated law student in almost 30k of debt (all uni not credit cards etc)

gutted, when i graduate i will be in 2400 debt :lol:

lil_tiger;6144671

good for you...im english and studied in england :?my parents offered to … good for you...im english and studied in england :?my parents offered to pay but as I want to do the LPC next year (that costs 10k for 1 year and you cannot get a loan for) I said I would take loans out for uni and they could pay for the LPCMy mum (thankfully) set up a standing order for £500/month into my account for me to live on (with the loans covering rent and uni) so I had the financial help I needed....The STUPID system in england means if your parents earn p-nuts the government look out for you....if your parents earn an honest wage and do everything by the book they couldnt give a toss :roll:so here I am.....graduated law student in almost 30k of debt (all uni not credit cards etc)

a fellow law student who feels the same pain i do...:thumbsup:

Original Poster

lil_tiger;6144671

:thinking:thts unreal! at least if you get a job you can pay it off quite quickly if your going to be a lawyer

awoodhall2003;6144708

a fellow law student who feels the same pain i do...:thumbsup:

its gutting isnt it.....hopefully I may have been lucky and walked into a job though...doubt it but heres hoping!!!!
cribert;6144715

:thinking:thts unreal! at least if you get a job you can pay it off quite … :thinking:thts unreal! at least if you get a job you can pay it off quite quickly if your going to be a lawyer

yeah...well if I decide to be a lawyer ill need to do the LPC next year, then get a training contract, then work for 5+ years on peanuts :? so yeah....gonna be a good while til im anywhere near loaded :?

i have only one thing to say to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big mac and large fries, and no i don't want to supersize my order thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
next window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:whistling:

Banned

Apparently a degree gets you £100k extra over your life time compared to someone who doesn't do a degree, but that's average so you could only be a few pence better off. I got a taste of the uni life through my girlfriend was great fun but would hate to do it for 4yrs like she did, got a bit boring all the weekends I went down and saw her.

Do a college course thats in the same subject you wanted your uni course in. In all jobs I've seen they ask for 'educated to HND/Degree level'. That's what I did for my current job, 600 people applied for it (90% of them just out of uni)....but I got the job because I had spent the years they were at uni (and travelling) working my ass off!

cribert;6144559

Quantity Surveying, I went to college for 2 years, gaining a HND in … Quantity Surveying, I went to college for 2 years, gaining a HND in Quantity Surveying, but I only got an overall B, when they required an overall A, so I didnt get on the course:xAlso have 2 B's a C, D and an Int 2 A lol

can you not resit the exams to get an A if QSing is what you want to do? i did qs at college, got a degree, worked for 2 yrs then went travelling, came back at the height of the last recession so have worked as a signalman ever since, haven't missed the QSing much!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions