Any thoughts on Bulb and Octopus Energy

Found 25th Jul
Hello Fellow Community Members,

I am looking to switch from First Utility (on a First Variable 2 Electricity Only plan with them currently) and on the comparison sites Bulb and Octopus Energy consistently come as cheapest - plus seems to get good reviews.

I wonder if anyone here has their energy supply from them and would be able to share their first hand experience with them to make the decision making process easier for me.

Thanks a lot for any help.
Community Updates
AskEnergyLamp
18 Comments
I’ve only just signed up to bulb. Early days yet. They do seem to be pretty communicative with emails during the switch process.
Somehow they came across as emails I paid attention rather than the normal droll energy supplier tosh.
Oneday773 m ago

I’ve only just signed up to bulb. Early days yet. They do seem to be p …I’ve only just signed up to bulb. Early days yet. They do seem to be pretty communicative with emails during the switch process. Somehow they came across as emails I paid attention rather than the normal droll energy supplier tosh.

Thanks a lot. The switch has been smooth or still in the process of it? Did you go through any cashback sites or direct?
matwalaboy1 m ago

Thanks a lot. The switch has been smooth or still in the process of it? …Thanks a lot. The switch has been smooth or still in the process of it? Did you go through any cashback sites or direct?

It’s now complete as of 2 days ago. My lights are still on, which is a good thing.

Pretty sure I went direct after finding them on Uswitch. Though can’t remember, might have dropped a ball on that one.
I’m with octopus. Much cheaper than sse and customer service seems efficient and sensible. All you have to do is give them a reading every month. I chose them because which? recommended them.
osrick2 m ago

I’m with octopus. Much cheaper than sse and customer service seems e …I’m with octopus. Much cheaper than sse and customer service seems efficient and sensible. All you have to do is give them a reading every month. I chose them because which? recommended them.

Yes which? chose them as their supplier for the year and thats definitely one of the reasons I am tempted, just never heard of them till a few days back when I started looking for an energy switch coz the current one felt expensive.
I’m happy enough. For as much as that counts.
Think I'm using Money Savings Expert, the switch is so smooth I have no idea what utility company I'm with at the mo

It is a bit disconcerting that no one has taken a meter reading for the last few years mind
I've been with bulb a few months now. I went through quidco and got £40 cashback. Switchover went smoothly and I have no complaints
2nd the comments about Bulb.

again, a recent switcher, but like you they came up cheapest (other than 2 no-names) on price comparison sites

switch went smoothly.

they also do a refer a friend scheme which gives both parties £50 each.
Been with Octopus for a while now - recently switched from an existing tariff to the MSE deal and took advantage of the cashback as well - no problems. They have an app and I get monthly energy statements and meter reading reminders so I can make sure all is on track.
Bulb is in trouble with Ofgem at the moment.... Most of these small start-up electricity/gas suppliers build up their customer base (up to 500,000) and then either get bought out or go bust and this is becoming quite common. Ovo and First Utility have recently been taken over (SSE and Shell). The market is broken.
redbutcher26 m ago

Been with Octopus for a while now - recently switched from an existing …Been with Octopus for a while now - recently switched from an existing tariff to the MSE deal and took advantage of the cashback as well - no problems. They have an app and I get monthly energy statements and meter reading reminders so I can make sure all is on track.

Thanks a lot. Couldn't find a cashback option for Octopus though - which cashback site was it?
I went through the Money Saving Expert Cheap Energy Club - got cashback a few months after my switch.
It's probably worth noting that these suppliers are cheaper due to not having an out of hours service. If their equipment faults on a Friday evening, you may not be able to speak to anyone until monday morning. As long as that ain't a problem then it's worth looking into
I'm switching atm to utility point, they have fairly decent unit/standing rates.
Greeko8615 h, 49 m ago

It's probably worth noting that these suppliers are cheaper due to not …It's probably worth noting that these suppliers are cheaper due to not having an out of hours service. If their equipment faults on a Friday evening, you may not be able to speak to anyone until monday morning. As long as that ain't a problem then it's worth looking into

Octopus answered an email I sent them early on a Sunday morning within an hour.
Another vote for octopus. I’ve had close to £300 credited to my bank through referrals so far. Boom.
I need an o
pez5557th Aug

Another vote for octopus. I’ve had close to £300 credited to my bank th …Another vote for octopus. I’ve had close to £300 credited to my bank through referrals so far. Boom.

I need a referral. Pm ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants