Groups

Any tips for a week in Rethymnon, Crete (places to visit / restaurants etc)? Thanks.

Banned
    Any advice most welcome. We have a car with a full tank so can drive a fair distance.

Thanks.

8 Comments

I absolutely loved this island, I found it really magical, haven't been to Rethymnon so can't recommend anything there.
    We stayed in hersonissos, lots of restaurants, bars & beaches from heaven, hired a quad bike & had a fantastic time ....... Hope you have a fab time x

Original Poster Banned

snowtiger;3153171

I absolutely loved this island, I found it really magical, haven't been … I absolutely loved this island, I found it really magical, haven't been to Rethymnon so can't recommend anything there.We stayed in hersonissos, lots of restaurants, bars & beaches from heaven, hired a quad bike & had a fantastic time ....... Hope you have a fab time x

Thanks. might take a day trip to hersonnissos as mates also said its great. I do love the island too (except Malia and Heraklion :w00t:)

For nice traditional restaurants and some decent bars go to the villages of Piscapiano (which has a traditional Greek night on a Tuesday I think) and Koutalafari. And for more and a bit more lively, you could go to Stalis.

I've been to Rethymnon, and I thought it wasn't anywhere near as nice as Koutalafari.

Avoid Gouves, LIKE THE PLAGE LoL, stayed at klio :roll: what a dump, enjoyed Heraklion lots of nice eaties :thumbsup: go to Knossos for the ruins, try the wines mmmm yum !

Avoid the RAKI

Go to Elounda, it's beautiful. Don't bother with Hersonissos or Stalis or Malia, they're dumps. Go up into the village mountains over Hersonissos (Piskopiano and Koutoloufari) there are some nice views and gorgeous restaurants up there, still quite greek and not too many rubbish shops and stuff.

I don't know what kind of car you have, but if you have hired a jeep then you should go up and drive around the mountains. Is fun getting up there on the dirt tracks and exploring, and there are lovely views and take a look in a monastery or little church if you've got permission to go in them.

Original Poster Banned

thanks all. Will certainly try to get to koutalafari.

I was there a couple of weeks ago, stayed in Sissi, which is the other side of Malia driving away from Heraklion and is a nice quite little place with plenty of places to eat around the marina/harbour. The holiday was just to relax so only went out once to Spinalonga the ex leper colony island near Elounda, was a bit spooky, abandoned since the 1950's and all........would have been a lot more atmospheric without all the flippin' tourists tho! :-D

I found the following sites really useful, particularly the weather forecast, and you can download a map of the whole island, which might make it easier to plan some of your trips before you go :-D

Info holidays2crete.com/cre…tml

Weather cretearena.com/ind…=14

Original Poster Banned

Thanks Grumpyman. Nice site :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. BT FIBRE EXISTING CUSTOMER911
      2. Which 32" smart TV?22
      3. Is 'Isisue' a fake website/does it sell fake brands33
      4. What's the best gas and electric deals about ?44