Groups

Any tips for buying a new bed?

Just off to have a look round Dreams. Looking for a king-size or super-king. Just wondering which budget brand might be decent...

24 Comments

Just a bed (frame?) or mattress too?

Make sure you measure your room and get the correct size! I have heard some funny stories with people building their bed then finding themselves trapped in their room unable to open the door to get out X)

Go direct to the manufacturers that sell to these big companies, will be a quarter of the price at least,

Original Poster

morgie

Just a bed (frame?) or mattress too?

Both

Jonnyblock

Both

I used thesleepshop.co.uk/ for a mattress earlier in the year. They had the best price I could find and the customer service and delivery were spot on (trackable, delivered to the bedroom, helpful staff). I believe they also sell beds too. Worth comparing whatever you find in store as I did to get a feel for what type I was after. Note - with brands like SilentNight the product names they use in a store like Dreams will be 'exclusive' to them, but they will sell the same spec'd mattress under other names at other retailers - so take a note of the full spec, not just the product name so you can compare.

Just set a budget and try lots of different ones. I've gone memory foam and will not go back to a sprung mattress.

Depending if you have a partner... More springs equals more bouncing

We didn't have great customer service from Dreams with an Ottoman bed we bought last year,not long after buying it,it developed a squeak in the hydraulics,looking at reviews and several people said the same,they advised tightening it up,which worked for months granted,but right out of the warranty it got worse and nothing OH does will stop it.

Dreams said we would have to pay for an independent report but given lots and lots of reviews continue to say the same thing I don't know why they are still selling it as obviously there's some sort of fault with these beds

It is worth looking in the shops and seeing which you like and then looking online (obvious I know!) but we saw one we liked in Dreams at "half price" as they always usually are and then found one on Ebay (from an actual furniture store on ebay brand new) for a couple of hundred less. manufacturers also change the name for exactly the same bed. e.g. we bought an Amsterdam bed off ebay but the exact same one was called New York in Dreams...or vice versa!

Don't go bed shopping when tired

Budget bed noooo you spend along time there don't scrimp on it ,just bang one on interest free at furniture village Hypnos finest,there's no pockets in shrouds you tight sod

Don't rush into it, always sleep on it

Don't buy from dreams would be a start! Over inflated prices. Argos have a good sale on mattresses at the moment. We used mattrassman for our last mattress - got an orthopaedic mattress which is fantastic. Good luck

the porter

Budget bed noooo you spend along time there don't scrimp on it ,just bang … Budget bed noooo you spend along time there don't scrimp on it ,just bang one on interest free at furniture village Hypnos finest,there's no pockets in shrouds you tight sod

Last time I slept on one of those at Premier I had backache

Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

Try Ikea? They do a 90 day no quibble mattress return if you don't like it and a 25 year guarantee.

Original Poster

j0nn13

Try Ikea? They do a 90 day no quibble mattress return if you don't like … Try Ikea? They do a 90 day no quibble mattress return if you don't like it and a 25 year guarantee.

Are their prices reasonable?

Yeah they have a range of frames and mattresses, standard king size frames start about £250 and mattresses from £280 and up. They have some nice premium stuff too and good range inbetween.

Original Poster

So having tried the Dreams stuff wed be happy enough with a good quality pocket sprung medium/firm. All the tempura, memory foam, gel ones just seemed to bump the price up hugely while you sink in more.

I paid for beds from Dreams a few years ago - 12 months later the mattresses looked like a ploughed field! I would never use Dreams again.

You can't really go wrong with a standard pine wooden bed, assuming it fits in with your other bedroom furniture. Easy to get in white or pine colour. I got our double from Tesco and its great. The kids Argos single was good to, all much the same.

Original Poster

morgie

I used http://www.thesleepshop.co.uk/ for a mattress earlier in the year. … I used http://www.thesleepshop.co.uk/ for a mattress earlier in the year. They had the best price I could find and the customer service and delivery were spot on (trackable, delivered to the bedroom, helpful staff). I believe they also sell beds too. Worth comparing whatever you find in store as I did to get a feel for what type I was after. Note - with brands like SilentNight the product names they use in a store like Dreams will be 'exclusive' to them, but they will sell the same spec'd mattress under other names at other retailers - so take a note of the full spec, not just the product name so you can compare.

What mattress type did you buy in the end?

Jonnyblock

What mattress type did you buy in the end?

I went for a SilentNight Geltex Affinity 1000 Pocket double Mattress. In June I combined with a voucher code and paid £428.21. Currently £448.13 (not sure if they have any vouchers at the moment to apply on top of this) - link. A few reviews here.

Did you get to try one of this style in Dreams? In my opinion it's medium/firm, but the gel top layer allows just the right parts of you to sink it and be supported for a pretty comfy night's sleep. Not as extreme as memory foam, but certainly different to a pocket sprung mattress. It's all personal preference, but I'd say take the time to try one in store if you haven't already to see what you think of it.
    Edited by: "morgie" 1st Jan

Original Poster

morgie

I went for a SilentNight Geltex Affinity 1000 Pocket double Mattress. In … I went for a SilentNight Geltex Affinity 1000 Pocket double Mattress. In June I combined with a voucher code and paid £428.21. Currently £448.13 (not sure if they have any vouchers at the moment to apply on top of this) - link. A few reviews here.Did you get to try one of this style in Dreams? In my opinion it's medium/firm, but the gel top layer allows just the right parts of you to sink it and be supported for a pretty comfy night's sleep. Not as extreme as memory foam, but certainly different to a pocket sprung mattress. It's all personal preference, but I'd say take the time to try one in store if you haven't already to see what you think of it.

Thanks for the reply. We did try quite a few in the end and got quite confused. Definitely didn't like Tempur, and the other gel/foam topped ones just felt a bit sludgy.

I think so long we go for a medium/firm 1000+ pocket one we should be happy enough. I was thinking of getting the Miracoil one costco are doing for 175, but I think it makes sense to spend a little more, will try not to go much over 250.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. seller asked for IMEI1111
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2544
      3. cats and royal canin biscuits912
      4. Wifi extender1217

See more discussions