Expired

Any tips for getting rust stains off a white transit van please?

Found 18th Sep 2013
The roof rack has rusted and now we have some rust coloured streaks down the side of the van where the rain has run down. Anyone know how to get them off without a respray please? Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Original Poster
The roof rack has rusted and now we have some rust coloured steaks down the side of the van where the rain has run down. Anyone know a good way to clean this off without a respray please? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
You could try T-cut. Bear in mind to wax the areas afterwards.
Original Poster
mclovin9091

You could try T-cut. Bear in mind to wax the areas afterwards.

Great, thanks. I will try that.
cif
Barry Scott.
Banned
Buy a new one
Hello! Just try a deironizer such as Iron-X carpro.uk.com/iro…ml/ it will remove the product will turn a red colour as it removes the rusts stains.

I would suggest following it up with an all in one cleaner and protector. Paintwork is porous and its likely some staining will have passed in to the paintwork. Something like Autoglyms Super Resin Polish would be good and add some protection too.

Remember, if you have not done anything to the rest of the paintwork the clean area might stick out like a sore thumb!
call me crazy but people have used coke with scouring pad to scrub it off
I'd also second Ellie Phant's recommendation of Cif. I used it to remove some light rusting and it does work. Rub it in gently with your finger(s) and then wash off well with a sponge. I then used a touch-up pen after drying to fill the area worked upon. Whatever you do, you need to replace the 'area' with something - otherwise the rust just returns after weathering occurs.
Phsycronix

I'd also second Ellie Phant's recommendation of Cif. I used it to remove … I'd also second Ellie Phant's recommendation of Cif. I used it to remove some light rusting and it does work. Rub it in gently with your finger(s) and then wash off well with a sponge. I then used a touch-up pen after drying to fill the area worked upon. Whatever you do, you need to replace the 'area' with something - otherwise the rust just returns after weathering occurs.

I think that the OP is describing some rust staining of sound paintwork where water has dripped down from a rusting roof rack, rather than rusting bodywork. I would go along with groenleader's suggestion which will remove the staining without scouring the paint/ lacquer surface, and then wax polish.
bruce287

call me crazy but people have used coke with scouring pad to scrub it off

Good try but not to be sniffed at (_;)

T-cut will easily remove this.
Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. There are plenty of options for me to try now!
Original Poster
groenleader

Hello! Just try a deironizer such as Iron-X … Hello! Just try a deironizer such as Iron-X http://www.carpro.uk.com/iron-x-500ml/ it will remove the product will turn a red colour as it removes the rusts stains.I would suggest following it up with an all in one cleaner and protector. Paintwork is porous and its likely some staining will have passed in to the paintwork. Something like Autoglyms Super Resin Polish would be good and add some protection too.Remember, if you have not done anything to the rest of the paintwork the clean area might stick out like a sore thumb!

Ha ha, I am a little concerned about that! Thanks for your help.
clay bar?
Rubbing compound from a spares shop or somewhere like halfords, cif is along the same lines, just thinner and harder work, Tcut is horrible stuff as the silicone in it affects the paint eventually
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants