Any tips on applying for a council house ?

Found 10th Aug 2011
Young couple 24 and 25 moving out for the first time at the end of the month .. Our rent will be £550 per month on a six months lease .. its sounds very expensive to me and I have heard that coucil rent is about half the price of private rent .. Are there any good schemes to help people live in affordable housing ? .. any links or tips would be appreciated .. and no I don't want a kid just to get a house .
Community Updates
Misc
133 Comments
I think it will depend on where you live tbh.
Are you working?
knock your missus up, get aids or get addicted to drugs and lose your job.
Expect a long wait given the housing situation around the country, I think the majority of councils use a points based system where obviously families with a housing need will get more points yet still have a long wait a head of them and obviously get priority over young couples. Some London / city councils have waiting lists of 20,000. Expect to be put at the end of such list

Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 10th Aug 2011
numptyj

Or sneak in from a foreign country in the back of a container lorry.
6 or 7 years waiting list atm, depends on your area
deek72

Or sneak in from a foreign country in the back of a container lorry.

Only works coming in to the UK, pointless trying that in any other country
to be honest you'll be pushing it to get a council house without a family, maybe a studio apt or flat.but it depends on what the waiting list is like in your area.
simplyjimbo

Only works coming in to the UK, pointless trying that in any other country

You could always roll around in the mud for a bit, and tell them you've ran away from Iraq. Tell them you were scared for your life and you didn't have time to pick up your documents. They'll believe you. They usually do anyway.
numptyj

Good or bad aids?
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 10th Aug 2011
Or just comit a small crime then get out early for good behaviour and you'll be at the front...now the problem is where to find such a crime?
Too many police getting in the way
15 year wait in my area, you go on a priority list though if you declare yourself homeless. There are one bedroomflats available for single people/couples. You should check out your local authority website to see what their allocation is.
If you do get "lucky" (ahem) then be prepared to be put in a sh@t hole high rise or something. Is it worth it? Why not research a cheaper area to live in? I live in the North East and live in a very nice area. Rent here is £650pcm for a very nice 3 bed house with garden/garage/driveway/etc. Very large rooms.
Price will depend on where you are looking. Something like Rightmove (don't forget to order by price ascending!) will give you an indication of private rental optons in your area. From £300ish upwards for 2 up 2 down in my neck of the woods.

For council property you will normally need some genuine difficulty in your circumstances for help. It being cheaper won't count as a genuine reason, though I guess you know that.

Look on your local council website for an idea of how they are likely to rank you in the queue.
Edited by: "Ennui" 10th Aug 2011
I live in Middlesbrough, and you can get council houses here, in certain areas, pretty quick too, question is would you really want them, the fact that even immigrants are turning them down is a big sign.
you are better off staying at home saving all the money you can and putting a deposit on a property in 5-10 years time. If you work you haven't really got a hope of getting anything with the council (Havering). If you work they expect you to rent privately
Council houses were a great idea but like usually with the governments they screwed it up.

Thatcher gave away all the best ones when they sold em off and they allowed people a life tenancy tying up all the best houses with single couples whose kids had moved on. if you get offered something within 5 years the chances are its a dive because with your circumstances the chances are nil, even though you will probably see houses regulary boarded up on council estates months on end.
Is the £550 for a one bed ?
Save some money and buy a narrow boat.
Was paying £700 for a 4 bed detached garden front and back and a garage 4 years ago.

You're right about council properties think it's £65 per week or something, there are guys at work earning the same as me in them. I find it disgusting they get to stay in them.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 10th Aug 2011
Rents in social housing are being raised to 80% of the market rate from next April, so the saving isn't going to be that great.

I got myself put on the waiting list for a council house where I am, I think it's 7 years. Unless you're homeless there's not much chance for anyone.

And the posters chatting about houses going to foreigners are chatting rubbish.

yeah its for a one bedroom flat .. i just don't see why they give away houses to the most useless people .. but for people who pay tax on everything from my car to my bills we get no help.

choc1969

Is the £550 for a one bed ?

kev_u8701r

yeah its for a one bedroom flat .. i just don't see why they give away … yeah its for a one bedroom flat .. i just don't see why they give away houses to the most useless people .. but for people who pay tax on everything from my car to my bills we get no help.

life sucks.......but in your favour there are two of you earning a wage so £550 should really be affordable surely?
As has been said, you need to be in a priority need in order to get one these days. That generally means either homeless or a disability which makes your current home unliveable. In my council area, say you get made homeless, you get 'something' for 6 months all the time you will be expected to make bids on reasonable properties, then the council will make bids for you because you won't qualify for anything you bid on and in the end, the council will keep you in the temporary accomodation for a few years before offering you a 1 year agreement in that place. By then, the governments plan of having a time limited (between 2-5 years) tenancy will have come into force, so you'll only have to find yourself something at the end of it.

It's a nightmare in some places.
The thing is social housing, isn't really a long term solution, its very restrictive, even if you do get somewhere, what when your family grows you may have to wait or move on to somewhere not great, so maybe you should consider another method, whilst there is just the two of you why not try alternative solutions, like someone said a narrow boat.
kev_u8701r

i just don't see why they give away houses to the most useless people

The most useless? Tell you what, you have my disabilities and all the rubbish that comes with them and I'll have your job, deal?
kev_u8701r

. i just don't see why they give away houses to the most useless people ..

Like the disabled and homeless?? oO
moose109

The most useless? Tell you what, you have my disabilities and all the … The most useless? Tell you what, you have my disabilities and all the rubbish that comes with them and I'll have your job, deal?

Or hows about we just do the Daily Mail readers a favour and start putting ourselves in concentration camps right now
Edited by: "haggis1984" 10th Aug 2011
The problem is some people don't use it when needed, and then move on when the situation changes. They consider it as a life long set up, or a cheap option.
haggis1984

Or hows about we just do the Daily Mail readers a favour and start … Or hows about we just do the Daily Mail readers a favour and start putting ourselves in concentration camps right now

you'd be better off.......gas prices are through the roof so wouldn't be affordable to the landlord X)
choc1969

you'd be better off.......gas prices are through the roof so wouldn't be … you'd be better off.......gas prices are through the roof so wouldn't be affordable to the landlord X)

If only NPower had been around in the 40's
alcoholics .. homeless .. pregnant teens by choice .. drug addicts.. immigrants .. dole only never had a job type people = useless
24/25 year old couple and you can't afford 550 a month???? My money is on debt issues. Car finance?
Narrow boat on the Oxford canal going for £10k in okay nick.
kev_u8701r

alcoholics .. homeless .. pregnant teens by choice .. drug addicts.. … alcoholics .. homeless .. pregnant teens by choice .. drug addicts.. immigrants .. dole only never had a job type people = useless

Pregnant teens by choice - tiny minority

Drug addicts - Most likely suffering from severe mental illness

Immigrants - 2% of social housing goes to immigrants (source: The Equality and Human Rights Commision)

Never had a job - Large % of these will be disabled

Back your vileness up with facts or take it elsewhere.
kev_u8701r

alcoholics .. homeless .. pregnant teens by choice .. drug addicts.. … alcoholics .. homeless .. pregnant teens by choice .. drug addicts.. immigrants .. dole only never had a job type people = useless

My previous landlord served notice on me so he could sell up, get married and buy something with his new wife. This technically made me homeless. So I'm useless? Lots of others are made homeless through no fault of their own and have to see council housing as a safety net until they can get back on their feet (which I will do one day, I know it). As others have said, some people just choose to stay in the properties and in my view, this is wrong and perhaps each council should evaluate each tenant every so often, 5 years perhaps for some and 2 for others, I don't know.

If you don't want to live around 'useless' people, then do as this guy has suggested:

dcx_badass

Has anyone told the leech to get a better job yet?

lumoruk

Narrow boat on the Oxford canal going for £10k in okay nick.

Is it with a permanent mooring?
moose109

My previous landlord served notice on me so he could sell up, get married … My previous landlord served notice on me so he could sell up, get married and buy something with his new wife. This technically made me homeless. So I'm useless? Lots of others are made homeless through no fault of their own and have to see council housing as a safety net until they can get back on their feet (which I will do one day, I know it). As others have said, some people just choose to stay in the properties and in my view, this is wrong and perhaps each council should evaluate each tenant every so often, 5 years perhaps for some and 2 for others, I don't know.

Disabled and homeless??

That's twice the uselessness.
donaldduck2

Is it with a permanent mooring?

It's on one so I guess so, I assume there would be a yearly fee to pay for it though.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 10th Aug 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants