Any tips on Black Ops for a total noob?

lol, been playing for a week now and im totally awful. Averaging 1 kill a game.

Any tips or strategys that may help me in starting out? I havent really been a big player of call of duty games in the past. Thanks.

54 Comments

Sell it.

Banned

The best thing you can do is practice, get to know the maps before going online. Play the campaign through all difficulties aswell if you can.

hide and snipe

DangerGod

The best thing you can do is practice, get to know the maps before going … The best thing you can do is practice, get to know the maps before going online. Play the campaign through all difficulties aswell if you can.

And after that..............cheat using glitches like the rest.

Camp. Kill, and pee off other players...its awesome! lol....

Or use the Combat Training function, that's what it's there for.

Buy claymores and use RC car as Kill streak. Easiest way to get a few cheap kills!

learn the maps. best piece of advice you'll get.

ants97

learn the maps. best piece of advice you'll get.

and this.

knowing the maps is totally a great piece of advice, i play a lot and my words of wisdom would be if you havnt played much at all dont try outshoot people at first or run into buildings or the middle of the map. if you run around the edge of the map facing inwards you will die nowhere near as much and be able to shoot people in the back, getting round the back of them means you will actually be able to get some kills.

other thing is if your going round a corner or into a building dont run!! if you are running it means you take longer to scope up and will lose the initiative and be killed

my other bit of advise would be to use ghost as perk1 as this means you cannot be seen by enemy UAV, if your not good at the game and dont have ghost on you will be a total target and annoy the decent super nerds you play with by dying lots and giving the enemy killstreaks... but then it appears some people take pleasure out of that,

please dont claymore my tactics mean i have taken more than my fair share allready (sumhow i have the same amount of claymore deaths as knife deaths)

also RC cars are totally lame and devoid of skill, if you just wanna **** people off id reccomend claymoring, having hardline as a perk and RC cars, it might help you scrape a 1KD but wont make you better at the game

USE ROCKETLAUNCHER AS PRIMARY WEAPON

As said above learn msps and find good tactical points to ket kills dont stay in one place also killsteaks is your personal preference . The rc car takes too much time and leaves you vulnerable for just one kill but is handy for getting rid of campers that you cant get to.

Forgot to say choosing the right weapon for yourself is a must in this game , dont know what level you are but Ak74u with suppressor is good but only close , galil with supressor a a good all rounder and enfield. Also try Hardcore mode i find it best.

dc7911

Forgot to say choosing the right weapon for yourself is a must in this … Forgot to say choosing the right weapon for yourself is a must in this game , dont know what level you are but Ak74u with suppressor is good but only close , galil with supressor a a good all rounder and enfield. Also try Hardcore mode i find it best.

galil is a good gun, ak47u is a good gun,

dont use suppresors myself as they kill your range and fire power.. another gun that kills really quick and can be good if your not that great at aiming is the famas, it kicks around a bit but kills riddiculously quick

combat training to get used to the maps then pick out a decent sub or assault rifle that you like. dont camp kill though worst thing you can do.
Edited by: "king261" 10th Jan 2011

I use the ak74u and ak47 myself.
Will be moving to the Commando when I get to that level.

I suck at it too, always getting killed online

Lots of good tips, learn the maps, remember spawning points, choose the right weapon for the map that your playing, and the style that you play. Go lightweight, marathon and grab an ak47, and run around the outside. Once you learn the maps, you could try secure a corner of the map and do short runs to a selected point and back again and try to take out anybody that enters your area.

MissBehave

I suck at it too, always getting killed online

HaHA you sound like me when I'm playing.Stopped playing it after 4-5 days as kept getting shot & in truth it's just one big "lets run & kill as fast as possible " Game.No team work from what I seen on the game.

learn the maps
learn the maps
use the dive ability
don't always reload after every shot this kills time and you, switch weapons in a tight spot
strafe
run and walk, run n walk, run n walk,
keep an eye on your radar and team death locations (marked by skull n cross bones)
set the sensitivity of your controls to the point where you can 180 with ease
use your kit, flash bangs, grenades, etc use'em, the random grenade can shift an unknown enemy

Edited by: "Alfonse" 10th Jan 2011

ive been playing team deathmatch. Have found players seem to hunt in packs and try and take over buildings. Keep playing and you will get to know the maps.

Set your sensitivity to 4 (if you find it to hard drop to 2 after playing on 4 for ages you'll seem to play better for a while as the movement has slowed a little and you see to be able to pinpoint a spot easier . use a grip and 74u using steady aim and only use sights for far away targets and gently pull trigger (do not keep trigger on) whilst looking down sights. Fire from the hip (steady aim and grip will help with accuracy ..you can even get away with keep trigger on when you get the hang of it I prefer very short bursts though but die Co's of it instead of noobing the trigger on full like all the serious people) if you try and left trigger look down sights at close range people you'll be too slow and dead.

COD is always about the grenade launcher attachment.

1 kill a game? lol. Sorry if thes have already been mentioned.

1:) Don't run out into the middle of an open area like rambo (you won't last long) try and keep just two directions you can be attacked from at a time where possible

2:)Think about when you reload, there is no point getting into a firefight when you have just 2 bullets remaining and you have to waste time reloading and get killed.

3:)In my opinion the best gun earlish on is the AK74u, fantastic sub machine gun and heads up against another opponent will beat most other guns.

4:) when you come heads up, if you have time laydown, you will be much harder to hit then if standing up!

5:) 1 last thing, when you start a game, see which players tend to get the highest score in the lobby and go into 3rd person mode watching how they move, and where they move to.

6:)Ok, 1 more idea, watch some youtube videos that people post!

Hope this has helped X)
Edited by: "jonny619447" 10th Jan 2011

When being chased by monsters eat the bigger white dots and the monsters will turn blue and retreat back to the centre. You can then chase the monsters and eat them.

my no.1 tip never walk without checking your back and using your radar it usually give off where most of the team are if you insist on camping in one area make sure you have a claymore set up so you cant be slyly picked off use a gun that suits you if your bad with recoil use something like the famas if your reloading times are always crap use extented mags. For everyone of your weaknesses theres either an attachment or perk to help you improve that weakness. Know enemy spawn point on summit if playing domination and i spawn at A i immediatly run towards C throw a semtex and it usually gets me a triple kill
Edited by: "Dannysubaru" 10th Jan 2011

trade it in for a better game.
bad company 2 or medal of honor.

dcx_badass

Dual shot guns and claymores.

Thats ok on small maps like nuketown and summit but on longer maps like array and grid you are going to get seriously owned!

Further more, the learning curve on dual weapons is massive, the OP needs help with the basics!
Edited by: "jonny619447" 10th Jan 2011

autolesbona

COD is always about the grenade launcher attachment.

FAIL

WheresMeNuts

HaHA you sound like me when I'm playing.Stopped playing it after 4-5 days … HaHA you sound like me when I'm playing.Stopped playing it after 4-5 days as kept getting shot & in truth it's just one big "lets run & kill as fast as possible " Game.No team work from what I seen on the game.

I like to hide on my belly & pray I don't get shot lmao

when i got MW2 (first ever fps) i was like you and had a k/d ratio of 2/30 for weeks
Then i discovered the grenade launcher attachment which helped (dirty i know ... but for noobs its essential)

joeprosho

FAIL

Epic FAIL
Edited by: "autolesbona" 10th Jan 2011

autolesbona

Epic FAIL

In the same league as people dropping to the floor with their bucket and spade imo. Get some nuts:lol. In a real war fine but a game come on. The invis-emos are just as sad.

All the above tactics are really useful so I would take all that advice onboard, the only thing that hasn't been covered yet are perks so here's a couple of useful tips for beginners.

In the first tier you would probably benefit from using ghost to start out with, this stops you from showing on up the enemy spy planes that always litter the map. If you combine this with silencing your weapon you won't show on enemy radar unless there's a blackbird in the sky or if you walk near someones motion sensor. If this doesn't sound to your tastes then I'd definitley go with hardline, (no offense meant but there's little point going for something like scavenger at this point as you're unlikely to be running out of ammo). Using hardline combined with low killstreak rewards (mentioned later) is a fantastic way to level up quickly as just killing two people in one life grants you access to something useful.

In the second tier I use sleight of hand because (as mentioned before) reloading is a big killer in this game, even whilst using this perk the amount of times I've died whilst reloading should probably be considered offensive! However having said that it very much depends on your playing style, if you like to sprint round and not look down your sights then you should probably use steady aim and work that up to pro

Then in the last tier I'd recommend Hacker just because as a beginner you should learn where people are likely to place claymores and motion sensors, hacker lets you see these as a red outline on your screen and whilst seeing claymores can obviously avoid death, seeing motion sensors can 80% of the time guarantee they'll be someone nearby.

Just one last thing from me then I'll shut up, when choosing killstreak rewards, it's tempting to aim high and whilst yes, you may get something incredible once in a while, when starting off set your rewards to 3,4,5 (probably spy plane, counter spy plane [or if you do run ghost SAM turrent will help you get ghost pro] and napalm strike). The reason behind these choices is quite simple, spy planes allow you to see where the opposing team members are located on the mini map and will ultimately help you not get stabbed in the back, once you know the general area of where people are likely to be it's easier to get more kills say enough to get the napalm strike. Because these rewards are the easiest to get they'll help you level up faster and have access to more money to buy pros and better weapons.

I hope some (even if just one bit) of that helps

Edit: Also hacker pro is possibly one of the most fun perks you can have as the next level not only lets you see enemy equipment but you can also steal it and you can booby trap enemy crates after stealing whatever was in them!

Edited by: "SecondNature08" 10th Jan 2011

SecondNature08

you won't show on enemy radar unless there's a blackbird in the sky or if … you won't show on enemy radar unless there's a blackbird in the sky or if you walk near someones motion sensor (however both of these two things are covered if you unlock ghost pro, hence why this is the perk I use full time).

Hey mate, very good tips, but the above is not true. Blackbird will show EVERYBODY no matter what perk or pro perk you have. Also, motion sensor is countered by a 3rd tier pro perk I believe.

cw9652

Hey mate, very good tips, but the above is not true. Blackbird will show … Hey mate, very good tips, but the above is not true. Blackbird will show EVERYBODY no matter what perk or pro perk you have. Also, motion sensor is countered by a 3rd tier pro perk I believe.

Mate you are absolutely correct about the blackbird and I've just learned something just ran a quick google and you're right, nothing can hide from the blackbird so I'll edit that out of my post, thanks very much not sure what you mean by the motion sensor though apologies, I know as ghost pro you definitely do not show up and I think the 3rd tier perk you're refering to is hacker? The list is Ninja, Marathon, Tactical Mask, Second Chance and Hacker and out of those it's the only one that involves the motion sensor?

SecondNature08

All the above tactics are really useful so I would take all that advice … All the above tactics are really useful so I would take all that advice onboard, the only thing that hasn't been covered yet are perks so here's a couple of useful tips for beginners.In the first tier you would probably benefit from using ghost to start out with, this stops you from showing on up the enemy spy planes that always litter the map. If you combine this with silencing your weapon you won't show on enemy radar unless there's a blackbird in the sky or if you walk near someones motion sensor (however both of these two things are covered if you unlock ghost pro). If this doesn't sound to your tastes then I'd definitley go with hardline, (no offense meant but there's little point going for something like scavenger at this point as you're unlikely to be running out of ammo). Using hardline combined with low killstreak rewards (mentioned later) is a fantastic way to level up quickly as just killing two people in one life grants you access to something useful.In the second tier I use sleight of hand because (as mentioned before) reloading is a big killer in this game, even whilst using this perk the amount of times I've died whilst reloading should probably be considered offensive! However having said that it very much depends on your playing style, if you like to sprint round and not look down your sights then you should probably use steady aim and work that up to proThen in the last tier I'd recommend Hacker just because as a beginner you should learn where people are likely to place claymores and motion sensors, hacker lets you see these as a red outline on your screen and whilst seeing claymores can obviously avoid death, seeing motion sensors can 80% of the time guarantee they'll be someone nearby.Just one last thing from me then I'll shut up, when choosing killstreak rewards, it's tempting to aim high and whilst yes, you may get something incredible once in a while, when starting off set your rewards to 3,4,5 (probably spy plane, counter spy plane [or if you do run ghost SAM turrent will help you get ghost pro] and napalm strike). The reason behind these choices is quite simple, spy planes allow you to see where the opposing team members are located on the mini map and will ultimately help you not get stabbed in the back, once you know the general area of where people are likely to be it's easier to get more kills say enough to get the napalm strike. Because these rewards are the easiest to get they'll help you level up faster and have access to more money to buy pros and better weapons.I hope some (even if just one bit) of that helps :)Edit: Also hacker pro is possibly one of the most fun perks you can have as the next level not only lets you see enemy equipment but you can also steal it and you can booby trap enemy crates after stealing whatever was in them!

good advise, ive played a lot of cod and have a pretty decent KD (2.5) and i still use killstreaks 3,4,5 for one reason spy plane and counter spy plane are two of the most useful perks in the game, i can rely on other people getting them but as i use them there on almost permanently most games which makes the HUD invaluable, i use last stand pro though instead of hacker... i probs should use hacker but last stand annoys the people i play against more allows me to pirate a few kills and get revived lol, bit cheeky i know but means i get claymored to hell even throwing stuns...

i dont think i could play without slight of hand, in contradiction to a few peoples advise i reload almost every time instantly after shooting one person....

joeprosho

good advise, ive played a lot of cod and have a pretty decent KD (2.5) … good advise, ive played a lot of cod and have a pretty decent KD (2.5) and i still use killstreaks 3,4,5 for one reason spy plane and counter spy plane are two of the most useful perks in the game, i can rely on other people getting them but as i use them there on almost permanently most games which makes the HUD invaluable, i use last stand pro though instead of hacker... i probs should use hacker but last stand annoys the people i play against more allows me to pirate a few kills and get revived lol, bit cheeky i know but means i get claymored to hell even throwing stuns...i dont think i could play without slight of hand, in contradiction to a few peoples advise i reload almost every time instantly after shooting one person....

100% agree, I still use 3 and 4 because in my opinion they are the most useful rewards and I also with you on the reloading thing, I seem to have some sort of OCD thing about having a full clip and the amount of times I've been killed one kill away from a killstreak because of my **** reloading is ridiculous

Edit: Didn't realise HUKD doesn't let you type [a]nal haha, I'm learning new things all the time
Edited by: "SecondNature08" 10th Jan 2011

SecondNature08

Mate you are absolutely correct about the blackbird and I've just learned … Mate you are absolutely correct about the blackbird and I've just learned something just ran a quick google and you're right, nothing can hide from the blackbird so I'll edit that out of my post, thanks very much not sure what you mean by the motion sensor though apologies, I know as ghost pro you definitely do not show up and I think the 3rd tier perk you're refering to is hacker? The list is Ninja, Marathon, Tactical Mask, Second Chance and Hacker and out of those it's the only one that involves the motion sensor?

Hey m8, Hacker pro will keep you off the motion sensor radar. Ghost pro will not hide you.

keeping out of motion sensors is surely only useful in things like S&D in TD it would just bring in the fodder
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1017
    2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    3. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    4. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722

See more discussions