Groups

Any tips on cheap summer family holidays

Two adults and two kids - restricted by school hols and struggling to find anything under £2.5k - please help!!

30 Comments

Where from, where to what board and for how long? Have you checked holiday pirates ?

if your from England try flying from Scotland we saved £1000 because they go back in august

Sign up to zootravel, keep searching on icelolly.com & onthebeach.com. Be patient & wait until a good deal comes up.
    Otherwise do a euro camping holiday in france.

You could always go to argate, cheap as chips.

Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Wanted to go for a week from London, flight under 4 hours - prob Spain. With 2yo and 4yo, thought AI would be best. Kids club and on the beach would be a bonus.

If they are that young are you really restricted by school holidays? Seems a bit brutal. Unless you are a teacher of course. Minorca is lovely for a quiet holiday. I did Bulgaria this year which was only a four hour flight but dirt cheap .

psychobitchfromhell

If they are that young are you really restricted by school holidays? … If they are that young are you really restricted by school holidays? Seems a bit brutal. Unless you are a teacher of course. Minorca is lovely for a quiet holiday. I did Bulgaria this year which was only a four hour flight but dirt cheap .

Where did you go in bulgaria and what did you do and see its on my list

archer1204

We went to sunny beach . The beach is great as the sand is very soft and the sea gently sloping . Bits of it are a bit like Blackpool but there are plenty of hotels to choose from . It's dirt cheap out there and there is absolutely no litter at all. There are some good water parks and crazy golf for the younger ones . We went in June and I paid £252 each for two weeks all inclusive . If you like culture nessebar is a world heritage site and a quick bus ride away . We also did a dolphin show as my kid loves animals . Your kids may be a bit young but Khan's tent is a fabulous night out

psychobitchfromhell

We went to sunny beach . The beach is great as the sand is very soft and … We went to sunny beach . The beach is great as the sand is very soft and the sea gently sloping . Bits of it are a bit like Blackpool but there are plenty of hotels to choose from . It's dirt cheap out there and there is absolutely no litter at all. There are some good water parks and crazy golf for the younger ones . We went in June and I paid £252 each for two weeks all inclusive . If you like culture nessebar is a world heritage site and a quick bus ride away . We also did a dolphin show as my kid loves animals . Your kids may be a bit young but Khan's tent is a fabulous night out

Cheers sounds like fun

Buy yourselves a nice tent and take the family to a campsite in Southern France - one with a pool and/or near a beach. Far less than £2500 and it'll make many fond memories!

We went to Salou. Flew Ryanair from Stansted into Reus then 20 taxi to Salou. Stayed in 4 star on B&B basis as there are plenty of cheap bars and restaurants. Right on the beach. Highly recommend. Booked flights and hotels separately.

archer1204

I have to say I didn't expect much for the price but really enjoyed it .excursions were cheap and the seafood was spectacular.

psychobitchfromhell

We went to sunny beach . The beach is great as the sand is very soft and … We went to sunny beach . The beach is great as the sand is very soft and the sea gently sloping . Bits of it are a bit like Blackpool but there are plenty of hotels to choose from . It's dirt cheap out there and there is absolutely no litter at all. There are some good water parks and crazy golf for the younger ones . We went in June and I paid £252 each for two weeks all inclusive . If you like culture nessebar is a world heritage site and a quick bus ride away . We also did a dolphin show as my kid loves animals . Your kids may be a bit young but Khan's tent is a fabulous night out

Sunny Beach - the Shagalouf of Bulgaria. Full of drunken tourists and tacky bars.

archer1204

Cheers sounds like fun

Worth looking in to if you can get a cheap deal . Our hotel was from the eastern bloc era so was a bit basic but the newer ones were up there with any you would get at other destinations

Maybe a house swap with a family in a similar position abroad... I'm sure there must be a web site for this kind of thing?

fearghalg

Sunny Beach - the Shagalouf of Bulgaria. Full of drunken tourists and … Sunny Beach - the Shagalouf of Bulgaria. Full of drunken tourists and tacky bars.

In the middle yes but on the edges much nicer.

What about a stay in a lighthouse, plenty of locations in the uk during the summer... but book early!

squiff

Buy yourselves a nice tent and take the family to a campsite in Southern … Buy yourselves a nice tent and take the family to a campsite in Southern France - one with a pool and/or near a beach. Far less than £2500 and it'll make many fond memories!

I love camping. Everybody should try it at least once

Original Poster

Thanks All, some great options for us here. Shywallflower - what was the name of the resort/hotel you sent as the page won't load for me. Thanks!

Have a look on jet2 holidays . A few there came in below budget flying from stanstead .

Thomsons, Protur Bahia Azul Apartments, half board, Majorca, Wed 19 Jul 19:35-22:50 £1,505 with code SALE100 (£16.50 Quidco)
    Latedeals are also good for package holidays, then check price with Thomson/Firstchoice using code
    latedeals.co.uk/sea…957
    Edited by: "ellenw" 31st Dec 2016

If you're feeling brave - some of Asia is very very cheap when you're there and flights were as low as £330 PP last time I checked on boxing day. Thailand is beautiful and there are lots of families travelling there now. Accommodation is very cheap and still safe/practical for young children. The heat is a bit overbearing but acclimatising comes more naturally to children and it's sort of similar to Florida's heat. Big flight but worth it for the beauty!

ndempsey

Thanks All, some great options for us here. Shywallflower - what was the … Thanks All, some great options for us here. Shywallflower - what was the name of the resort/hotel you sent as the page won't load for me. Thanks!

Sol Katmandu Park & Resort
    (Magaluf, Majorca, Balearics)
    Apologies if link didn't work, it was through onthebeach.com
    Not sure if this will work for you
    onthebeach.co.uk/hot…ark
    Edited by: "shywallflower" 30th Dec 2016

DIY is a lot cheaper than a travel company (usually), although my mum books the cheapest package she can to Porto as this is usually less than the cost of a scheduled flight ticket.

She then rents a privately owned apartment on Windmill hill in Albufeira (the old town, not the strip).

Normandy is reasonable if you can find a nice Gite a bit inland, then drive to the various beaches; lots of soft yellow sand and warm water, where the shallows go out for 100m or more.

The Chunnel is fast, but the children might prefer the excitement of the ferry.

Not tried it in Summer, but Flaine in the French Alps looks interesting; lots of family activities up there these days; it was strictly ski season only when I started going years ago.
    You can fly into Geneva, or Drive across (I like to drive).

Sirenis Cala Llonga in Ibiza, 18:50pm on Wed 19 Jul 2017 Gatwick, all inclusive, £1,609.92.
    £392 more expensive @ Firstchoice even with £100 code added.
    latedeals.co.uk/sea…630

Original Poster

Great, thanks for all the replies. Just to say that school breaks up on 21st July so could travel from 22nd and could return 1st/2nd September - any week is fine. thanks again!

ndempsey

Great, thanks for all the replies. Just to say that school breaks up on … Great, thanks for all the replies. Just to say that school breaks up on 21st July so could travel from 22nd and could return 1st/2nd September - any week is fine. thanks again!

Could the children lose two days from school if the cost was much less?

Original Poster

Possibly, only one is at school but looks like we could get fined £60 per parent per day which adds on another £240. Does anyone know if these fines are always issued? Does she have to be 5 for them to take effect? She has not missed a day yet. Thanks

Thats harsh, I work in a school & one of our children has just had a month in Australia.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin media sign up67
      2. Which android box?33
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?710
      4. BT sport on sky boxes512

See more discussions