Any upvc window/door fitters on here?

Posted 17th Dec 2019
Need help with a problem...

Recently bought our first home, didn't notice this problem with the French doors top hinge...

The door wasnt level with a big big gap at the top and was catching when closing so watched YouTube and attempted to adjust the hinge...
That didn't work as I took it maximum and there is still a massive gap,

So I ordered another hinge and was all set to replace it... That's when I noticed 2 of the bolts had sheared.... But they don't look anywhere near the right area, and someone had screwed in 2 wood screws.....

I can't get my head round this, their surely should be 4 bolt holes for the 6.1mm bolts....surely?

And surely the bolts are screwed into the wrong holes? the bolts should be screwed into the left side of the plate and 2 more holes
Should be to the right is this correct...

I've added pictures

3367556-eKTnX.jpg3367556-r8cX4.jpg3367556-HBunI.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
The two pins on the left are correct. They aren’t screws. To fix your gap you really need to take the glass out and toe and heel. Probably videos online of how to do that. Get a glazing wedge to do that otherwise you’ll probably pop the unit
Edited by: "marshy51" 17th Dec 2019
Those hinges are 5mm at the bottom does the height. The sides adjust the left and right. Take the top cap off pivots the leaf. Adjust all hinges the same so you don’t have more weight on only one hinge
marshy5117/12/2019 19:42

The two pins on the left are correct. They aren’t screws. To fix your gap y …The two pins on the left are correct. They aren’t screws. To fix your gap you really need to take the glass out and toe and heel. Probably videos online of how to do that. Get a glazing wedge to do that otherwise you’ll probably pop the unit

Thank you, it didn't look right at all

Should there be 4 bolts or just the 2? And are they in the right location of the plate?

Hope you don't mind me asking
2 pins and 4 screws
Douglas_Birks17/12/2019 19:45

Thank you, it didn't look right at all Should there be 4 bolts or just the …Thank you, it didn't look right at all Should there be 4 bolts or just the 2? And are they in the right location of the plate?Hope you don't mind me asking

They are in the right place
Sorry to hijack your thread mate, anyone know if the wood finish can be redone on this type of door? Got a few bits peeling on the conservatory.

TIA

If you have a length of wood and a little block.
Close the door, put one side of the wood on the bottom of the door on the handle side. Put a wedge or block under the wood. Stand on the other side of the wood and it will lift the door up. This works as a temporary measure as the door will lift but drop again slowly over time. But it should allow you to align the door and just pop of the side and top trim and you can slide in some Packers. Refit the trims and you should be good.
Always do this with the door closed as if you try this with the door open you will lift it off its hinges.
Edited by: "kash2013" 18th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions