Any vegans able to advise about Hotel Chocolat suitability?

18 replies
Found 10th Dec 2016
Does anyone know if the Hotel Chocolat Tasting Club High Cocoa box is suitable for vegans? Their website doesn't seem to say exactly, only that their dark chocolate is vegan friendly. Struggling to find a present for someone and this would be ideal if it turns out to be suitable!!

18 Comments

Original Poster

hotelchocolat.com/uk/…ate is the page that's causing the confusion - 'we beileve our dark chocolate is suitable for vegans', but it doesn't say if that includes the mixed dark boxes.

Think I've managed to answer my own question after about half an hour of googling: Looks like it's a 'probably not' according to this:

Are any of the selections nut-free/dairy-free/gluten-free?
Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee that any tasting selections are nut free as they are all produced in an environment where nuts are present and may therefore contain minute traces of nut oil. Similarly traces of dairy or wheat may be found in our products. Dark selections will be comprised of dark chocolate only, but some of the fillings may contain cream or other dairy products.

Edited by: "panddda" 10th Dec 2016

I'm not sure about Hotel Chocolat but I can recommend this company for future purchases:
decadentlypure.co.uk/epa…_GB

Yes, you're right as the chocs contain cream

Saint Lucia Caramel

Chocolatier: Hotel Chocolat
Caramel ganache, whipping cream, Guérande sea salt, Saint Lucia Island Growers 78% dark shell.

i just ordered a dark set for vegans. it was 25 quid but cant remember what ot was called lol xx

I was advised in store that only the dark chocs were vegan. They do a box of choc batons starting at £7.99 I think.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone! It's only a little present required, £5-£10 max, but at the same time the teeny boxes of chocolate batons look a bit mean, hence I was hoping to get the £6.95 massive box of chocs that come on the Tasting Club trial, but looks like it's not to be. Back to the drawing board I guess... maybe socks again...!

Hi,

I think Bendicks chocolates are vegan (provided they like mint) and Tesco have the mint collection half price at the moment from £10.00 to £5.00 they also have some other Bendicks products on offer.

Original Poster

Blinks

Hi,I think Bendicks chocolates are vegan (provided they like mint) and … Hi,I think Bendicks chocolates are vegan (provided they like mint) and Tesco have the mint collection half price at the moment from £10.00 to £5.00 they also have some other Bendicks products on offer.

Fantastic, thank you! Annoyingly I spent 2 hours in Tesco today...back again tomorrow.

lol Vegans X) X) X)

My friend is vegan and you can get loads of vegan chocolates, chocolate bars ect from the 'free from' ranges at local stores (Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys ect). If you have an Aldi or Lidl near you the mint thins are vegan, they are usually kept amongst the chocolate and sweets, they are £1.49 for a box and look like chocolate pringles. Holland and barrat sell loads of dairy free (vegan) chocolates too, some are a bit pricey but it depends who your buying for I suppose. If you want to buy biscuits Oreos and big and chunky dark chocolate chip Maryland cookies are vegan too. You don't have to spend loads to give vegan treats, usually the person is very grateful for your effort because you have looked to see what they can eat. Hope this helps

Original Poster

Emmzrocks

My friend is vegan and you can get loads of vegan chocolates, chocolate … My friend is vegan and you can get loads of vegan chocolates, chocolate bars ect from the 'free from' ranges at local stores (Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys ect). If you have an Aldi or Lidl near you the mint thins are vegan, they are usually kept amongst the chocolate and sweets, they are £1.49 for a box and look like chocolate pringles. Holland and barrat sell loads of dairy free (vegan) chocolates too, some are a bit pricey but it depends who your buying for I suppose. If you want to buy biscuits Oreos and big and chunky dark chocolate chip Maryland cookies are vegan too. You don't have to spend loads to give vegan treats, usually the person is very grateful for your effort because you have looked to see what they can eat. Hope this helps

Thank you! Surprised at Oreos, I'd have thought the creamy stuff inside would have had something in it but just shows! My friend is vegan, coeliac and doesn't drink - not the easiest person to buy for, but I usually manage something, however her husband and 5 kids are another matter, I struggle like anything to come up with ideas for them, bought them a popcorn maker last year, and a Soda Stream the year before...a sweet/biscuit hamper could be the way forward this year. Gutted my genius £25-worth-for-£6.95 box of chocs is a 'no' though!

panddda

Thank you! Surprised at Oreos, I'd have thought the creamy stuff inside … Thank you! Surprised at Oreos, I'd have thought the creamy stuff inside would have had something in it but just shows! My friend is vegan, coeliac and doesn't drink - not the easiest person to buy for, but I usually manage something, however her husband and 5 kids are another matter, I struggle like anything to come up with ideas for them, bought them a popcorn maker last year, and a Soda Stream the year before...a sweet/biscuit hamper could be the way forward this year. Gutted my genius £25-worth-for-£6.95 box of chocs is a 'no' though!

You could make a vegan hamper for them all to share, I'm sure they would love the effort you have went to for them. there's loads of vegan stuff you wouldn't think was vegan so I can help you with more suggestions if you need. Oreos I'm sure are made from flour so might not be suitable for coeliac but theres loads more things you can buy.

Original Poster

Emmzrocks

You could make a vegan hamper for them all to share, I'm sure they would … You could make a vegan hamper for them all to share, I'm sure they would love the effort you have went to for them. there's loads of vegan stuff you wouldn't think was vegan so I can help you with more suggestions if you need. Oreos I'm sure are made from flour so might not be suitable for coeliac but theres loads more things you can buy.

Thank you! Had a bit of a brainstorm and came across an organic set of flavoured teas on Amazon for £9.50 which gets great reviews and comes in a nice box, so that's the husband sorted, but as for the 5 kids... oO - A huge Oreo hamper could be a great idea - if you have any suggestions of what else can go with it I'd be really grateful.

montezumas.co.uk/gif…c48 got some of their chocolate buttons for a friend of mine whose all family is vegan, their kid loves them apparently am not vegan and love their milkone

panddda

Thank you! Had a bit of a brainstorm and came across an organic set of … Thank you! Had a bit of a brainstorm and came across an organic set of flavoured teas on Amazon for £9.50 which gets great reviews and comes in a nice box, so that's the husband sorted, but as for the 5 kids... oO - A huge Oreo hamper could be a great idea - if you have any suggestions of what else can go with it I'd be really grateful.

tesco.com/gro…736
tesco.com/gro…176
These are vegan sweets, it says vegetarian but they are vegan, the vegan society just haven't approved them yet but my vegan friend assures me no animal products are in the ingredients. You get these from the free from isle in Tesco. Golden and regular oreos are vegan too so a packet of sweets 1 or 2 chocolate bars and maybe a pack of oreos would do each child I would think. If you like you could put a DVD in a box with the goodies and give the kids the box as a "Movie Night Treat" box. You can pick oreos up for 50p a pack and the sweets and chocolates are cheap as well for vegan treats. Let me know if you need any more suggestions. Hope this helps

Original Poster

Emmzrocks

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=284279736http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267279176 These are vegan sweets, it says vegetarian but they are vegan, the vegan society just haven't approved them yet but my vegan friend assures me no animal products are in the ingredients. You get these from the free from isle in Tesco. Golden and regular oreos are vegan too so a packet of sweets 1 or 2 chocolate bars and maybe a pack of oreos would do each child I would think. If you like you could put a DVD in a box with the goodies and give the kids the box as a "Movie Night Treat" box. You can pick oreos up for 50p a pack and the sweets and chocolates are cheap as well for vegan treats. Let me know if you need any more suggestions. Hope this helps

Thanks! Apart from the DVD...they don't have a TV (_;) As friends go, we're a whole universe apart X)
Those links aren't working for me, but the Bendicks mints, Oreos and stuff you're suggesting on the vegetarian aisle should make up something, probably one bumper hamper rather than 5 individual gifts - they have a massive age range and a couple have special needs, and it's just far too difficult to cater for them all individually, especially as I haven't seen any of the kids in several years and have no idea what they're in to, hence trying to just get a bulk present for them all to share each year.
I had a look on the Oreos website to see if it was all varieties, and it says this:

Is Oreo suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, our Oreo products are veggie-friendly!

Is Oreo suitable for vegans?
No, Oreo have milk as cross contact and therefore they are not suitable for vegans.

And then in the product info, some varieties seem to contain milk. As you say, golden and regular seem ok, but why aren't they saying that on their website?! Aaaargh... I don't get this whole vegan business!!! I've emailed Oreo to ask, out of interest as much as anything else.

LillyM

https://www.montezumas.co.uk/gifts-c3/vegan-gifts-c48 got some of their … https://www.montezumas.co.uk/gifts-c3/vegan-gifts-c48 got some of their chocolate buttons for a friend of mine whose all family is vegan, their kid loves them apparently am not vegan and love their milkone

Thanks for that - I wonder how big the £22 jar of chocolate buttons is, and whether it would be enough for 5 kids as a joint present, save myself all the hassle or faffing around with hampers and shops and Oreos and not knowing wtf I'm actually doing!!

900g apparently, they have a tasting club thing too, for which you can get £10 off, but looks like you get selection of dark, milk and white in there, might be an idea to check with cs to see if the would change to have only dark? Am seriously tempted!!! Otherwise green and black does a make your own hamper, where you can choose the flavours and sizes so might interest you? make your own

Edited by: "LillyM" 12th Dec 2016

panddda

Thanks! Apart from the DVD...they don't have a TV (_;) As friends go, … Thanks! Apart from the DVD...they don't have a TV (_;) As friends go, we're a whole universe apart X)Those links aren't working for me, but the Bendicks mints, Oreos and stuff you're suggesting on the vegetarian aisle should make up something, probably one bumper hamper rather than 5 individual gifts - they have a massive age range and a couple have special needs, and it's just far too difficult to cater for them all individually, especially as I haven't seen any of the kids in several years and have no idea what they're in to, hence trying to just get a bulk present for them all to share each year.I had a look on the Oreos website to see if it was all varieties, and it says this: Is Oreo suitable for vegetarians?Yes, our Oreo products are veggie-friendly!Is Oreo suitable for vegans?No, Oreo have milk as cross contact and therefore they are not suitable for vegans.And then in the product info, some varieties seem to contain milk. As you say, golden and regular seem ok, but why aren't they saying that on their website?! Aaaargh... I don't get this whole vegan business!!! I've emailed Oreo to ask, out of interest as much as anything else.Thanks for that - I wonder how big the £22 jar of chocolate buttons is, and whether it would be enough for 5 kids as a joint present, save myself all the hassle or faffing around with hampers and shops and Oreos and not knowing wtf I'm actually doing!!

My friend eats the golden and original Oreos. I don't think they are allowed to say it's vegan as they are made in factory's that deal with milk products and its not Vegan Society approved. The links I sent was for the "Good Stuff" gummy sweets that you can get in free from isle and the other link was for the free from crispie chocolate bars. If you search on Tesco groceries for "free from chocolate" and "good stuff" you will see the sweets and chocolates. Sorry the links dont work. All of the products I've mentioned are marked as vegetarian but they are definitely vegan according to my friend, she eats all of these things and she reads the ingredient labels carefully. Shame they don't have a TV I thought "movie night box" was a good idea lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition50428
    2. Win the Diono Quantum travel system, worth £500 @ Netmums11
    3. daily mail comp - win a trip to queensland - comp closes 8th november, 201755
    4. Win free gin for a year88

See more discussions