Groups

Any way I can get more bass on my Lenovo ideapad?

I am using windows 10 on my Lenovo ideapad laptop to listen to music. I use the headphones which gives great bass but when I use the laptop's speakers the bass is pretty poor.

Any way I can increase the bass on the laptop's speakers?

22 Comments

A laptop speaker is too small to recreate low frequency sound waves. Best option is to buy some external speakers with a sub woofer.

get a decent bluetooth speaker ...... look at review for teh likes of teh JBL charge

buy a decent brand if you want good bass - cheap ones will be just that ... cheap and light on bass

EliTom

Original Poster

LizzyUK

A laptop speaker is too small to recreate low frequency sound waves. Best … A laptop speaker is too small to recreate low frequency sound waves. Best option is to buy some external speakers with a sub woofer.

i have speakers but i thought there may be a setting on the laptop to enhance bass or an app that could boost the bass sound.

mutley1

i have speakers but i thought there may be a setting on the laptop to … i have speakers but i thought there may be a setting on the laptop to enhance bass or an app that could boost the bass sound.

the limiting factor will be the frequency response from the little laptop speakers ...

EliTom

Original Poster

elitom

the limiting factor will be the frequency response from the little laptop … the limiting factor will be the frequency response from the little laptop speakers ...EliTom

i am using pretty basic in the ear headphones which also have very small speakers i guess, but that is big enough to give the heavy bass?

If your laptop's sound driver supports it (and many do) then there are equaliser software programs available.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

If your laptop's sound driver supports it (and many do) then there are … If your laptop's sound driver supports it (and many do) then there are equaliser software programs available.

can you recommend one?

mutley1

can you recommend one?

Without going into the physics, you may be able to achieve mild perceived improvement but no more. To create a full sound will require an external solution.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Without going into the physics, you may be able to achieve mild perceived … Without going into the physics, you may be able to achieve mild perceived improvement but no more. To create a full sound will require an external solution.

any improvement would be a bonus. i have other laptops and the speakers on the lenovo is better than the toshiba for example, which is so tinny for sound that i have to use speakers or headphones.

the sound from my ipad air speakers is quite good, considering that the speakers on there are also small. it is much better than my laptop.

mutley1

any improvement would be a bonus. i have other laptops and the speakers … any improvement would be a bonus. i have other laptops and the speakers on the lenovo is better than the toshiba for example, which is so tinny for sound that i have to use speakers or headphones.the sound from my ipad air speakers is quite good, considering that the speakers on there are also small. it is much better than my laptop.

Assuming your Ideapad is using the Realtek HD Audio Manager there will (should?) be some options for audio control. Maybe look at this thread to see if any suggestions can be applied to your device superuser.com/que…ade

mutley1

i am using pretty basic in the ear headphones which also have very small … i am using pretty basic in the ear headphones which also have very small speakers i guess, but that is big enough to give the heavy bass?

It's all to do with air pressure. Bass frequencies are quite long and require a lot of power to create/move air to hit your ears with the sound. ​
    The headphones are inside your ear canal and therefore have very little space for air movement so the drivers can be quite small.
    Think about how quiet and tinny the sound is when you take the headphones out of your ears....

Buy a long glass container, put the tablet in there.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Assuming your Ideapad is using the Realtek HD Audio Manager there will … Assuming your Ideapad is using the Realtek HD Audio Manager there will (should?) be some options for audio control. Maybe look at this thread to see if any suggestions can be applied to your device https://superuser.com/questions/958121/realtek-hd-audio-low-and-bad-quality-sound-after-windows-10-upgrade

yes, realtek HD Audio Manager. i am able to change the frequency but doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Original Poster

LizzyUK

It's all to do with air pressure. Bass frequencies are quite long and … It's all to do with air pressure. Bass frequencies are quite long and require a lot of power to create/move air to hit your ears with the sound. The headphones are inside your ear canal and therefore have very little space for air movement so the drivers can be quite small.Think about how quiet and tinny the sound is when you take the headphones out of your ears....

this makes sense. it is distortion of sound as it travels through the air. when i take the headphones out of my ears, the bass disappears.

mutley1

yes, realtek HD Audio Manager. i am able to change the frequency but … yes, realtek HD Audio Manager. i am able to change the frequency but doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Sadly as previously mentioned: "you may be able to achieve mild perceived improvement but no more."

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Sadly as previously mentioned: "you may be able to achieve mild perceived … Sadly as previously mentioned: "you may be able to achieve mild perceived improvement but no more."

yes. i can certainly detect slight improvements, but so slight i am wondering if i am just imagining things. lol X)

You could connect a mini portable amp to your laptop then connect your headphones to that?

maybe something like this? gak.co.uk/en/…wcB

Original Poster

Lukester

You could connect a mini portable amp to your laptop then connect your … You could connect a mini portable amp to your laptop then connect your headphones to that?maybe something like this? https://www.gak.co.uk/en/m-audio-bass-traveler-headphone-amplifier/128939?gclid=CjwKEAjw3drIBRCOwfC-_qqyjQ8SJADvoWQpCgeu_tl3xifyi9nIzYG_oeVnUdswqpwytrYgype0xBoC8fbw_wcB

my headphones provides adequate bass. i was hoping to boost the laptop speakers' bass so that i don't need to use my headphones or speakers.

it would appear that this is not possible from the replies as the laptop speakers are not powerful enough on their own to produce the required bass sound.

mutley1

my headphones provides adequate bass. i was hoping to boost the laptop … my headphones provides adequate bass. i was hoping to boost the laptop speakers' bass so that i don't need to use my headphones or speakers.it would appear that this is not possible from the replies as the laptop speakers are not powerful enough on their own to produce the required bass sound.

Ahh apologies. misread the question!

Original Poster

Lukester

Ahh apologies. misread the question!

thanks for taking the time to reply. good to know that there are amplifiers for bass to the headphones.
    i used to have a music centre with yamaha amplifiers and huge professional polk speakers. they don't half give you bass. the vibration was enough to physically move you, let alone move the air. lol X)
    Edited by: "mutley1" 14th May

Original Poster

thanks for all the replies guys. it has made me come to the conclusion that i need external speakers so i have used my other laptop to play the music as there are speakers permanently plugged into that one. i used the home network so i could play music on that laptop but the music list is on lenovo laptop, where the music is stored

assuming the Lenovo has bluetooth - have a look at this from 7dayshop

gets very good reviews on YouTube

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/psyc-monic-premium-20w-stereo-wireless-bluetooth-4-0-speaker-multi-award-winning-SPK-BT-PSYC-MONIC-P?utm_source=maillist&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=220170514

EliTom
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want some backless loafers for men33
      2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)510
      3. Xbox one region locked codes?22
      4. Phone "Upgrade"36

See more discussions