Any way of stopping yearly deliveries of yellow pages / telephone directories

Banned 15 replies
Found 1st Feb 2010
Mine just go straight in the recycling bin as do most others I suspect. Surely there must be a way of opting out of this complete waste of resources?

I cant imagine how many trees were felled to make the 30 Million phone books that get delivered each year! The council recycling costs must go through the roof when these get sent out.

15 Comments

You can opt out of having a yellow pages delivered to your door just call 0800 671 444 and they will cancel it.

Absolutely spot on I wonder the same every year, along with the Thompson directory straight in the bin, what a waste.

Who needs a hard copy of paper things these days.

Should be opt in or otherwise you don't get one.

Banned

and sometimes the idiots ram it thro your letterbox thus breaking the spring/ flap off

+1 What a waste.

greg_68;7716041

Should be opt in or otherwise you don't get one.

+1 again

Keeps people in jobs and costs you nothing, so why end it.

I would imagine it is printed on recycled paper (not sure though) so not many trees might of copt out.
Also on the recycling part, can't see why council costs would go up as scrap/waste paper is a nice little earner.

Original Poster Banned

scoff;7716060

Keeps people in jobs and costs you nothing, so why end it.I would imagine … Keeps people in jobs and costs you nothing, so why end it.I would imagine it is printed on recycled paper (not sure though) so not many trees might of copt out.Also on the recycling part, can't see why council costs would go up as scrap/waste paper is a nice little earner.

I think you'll find it costs councils money to recycle paper. They certainly dont make money out of it!

And there is only a certain amount of times paper can be recycled so it costs resources in the long run. In any case, I think (but am not sure) that recycling paper uses more energy resources than producing new paper! :w00t:

not everyone has a computer, i.e older generation!

Original Poster Banned

DKLS;7716038

You can opt out of having a yellow pages delivered to your door just call … You can opt out of having a yellow pages delivered to your door just call 0800 671 444 and they will cancel it.

Thanks very much for that - will call them :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

snowtiger;7716089

then they can opt in :thumbsup:

scoff;7716060

Keeps people in jobs and costs you nothing, so why end it.

Wow, what an outdated way of thinking, do you drop litter in the streets to 'keep roadsweepers in a job'?

Yellow Pages are completely useless to 90%+ of the population.

Original Poster Banned

Trickyjabs;7716101

Wow, what an outdated way of thinking, do you drop litter in the streets … Wow, what an outdated way of thinking, do you drop litter in the streets to 'keep roadsweepers in a job'?Yellow Pages are completely useless to 90%+ of the population.

Well said! :thumbsup:

csiman;7716085

I think you'll find it costs councils money to recycle paper. They … I think you'll find it costs councils money to recycle paper. They certainly dont make money out of it!

I have worked in the paper and printing industry for many years and every company i have worked for make money out of their scrap, i have heard figures of between £25-£100 per tonne depending on quality. So why doesn't the concil make use of this facillity.

Trickyjabs;7716101

Yellow Pages are completely useless to 90%+ of the population.

they are not useless to thousands of advertisers in their.

Banned

snowtiger;7716089

commonly referred to as "losers"

I only seem to use these when either:
a) There is a powercut (and hence can't use the PC) and I need a telephone number for the electricity company.
b) The phone line isn't working (hence can't use the internet) and I need a number for the telephone company to report the fault.

Original Poster Banned

scoff;7716189

I have worked in the paper and printing industry for many years and every … I have worked in the paper and printing industry for many years and every company i have worked for make money out of their scrap, i have heard figures of between £25-£100 per tonne depending on quality. So why doesn't the concil make use of this facillity.they are not useless to thousands of advertisers in their.

because councils are notoriously inefficient
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition52486
    2. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)22
    3. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!33
    4. Win a Blink home security and monitoring system, worth £269.99 @ Netmums11

See more discussions