Groups

Any way to recover a file deleted 2 weeks ago?

Just discovered I accidently deleted a folder containing loads of holiday pics, think it must have been a couple of weeks ago.

Is there anyway I can recover it?

21 Comments

Windows or Mac?

download recuvva

Hi you can try the free recuva program link provided below
    piriform.com/recuva, there is however more advanced programs but I think only after 2 weeks you should be ok.

snap

your ability to recover a file will depend on many things. If you used a GUI to delete files, they may be sitting in the trashcan. If the files were truly deleted, and the machine was used to create more files (eg browsing creates files - caching the web content), you are very unlikely to find them. You could browse the temp files and other areas and you might find backup copies from whatever software is used to house them. If you d/l from the web, the files may even be sitting in the web cache. You likely need an IT expert (friend/family/children) who might help.

Be wary of tools which promise to help recover - they might, but equally, the act of installing the software might render their ability neutered.

There is a chance only if you didnt do much writing on that hdd since deletion

Original Poster

Thanks Guys, Windows 10 64 bit, I'll have a go with recuva.

If you recover them, back them up.

Did u check the recycle bin

Original Poster

Predikuesi

If you recover them, back them up.

Yeah, stupid not too, kept meaning to but never got round to it.
    15 mins left on recuva will report back with results...

CrispEditor

...Be wary of tools which promise to help recover - they might, but … ...Be wary of tools which promise to help recover - they might, but equally, the act of installing the software might render their ability neutered.

Most decent recovery tools have a portable version so no need to risk overwriting disk space by installing anything.

Late to the game, but Recuva would have been my first response; it is very good.

For anyone else, the trick is not to write any data to the disk once you realise you need to recover files, as this risks the drive overwriting and destroying them. Also as above, first port of call is the "Recycle Bin", as Windoze doesnt immediately delete files, but waits for a set number of days (unless the drive is out of space).

It looks like it's too late for OP but is a good idea to install whichever recovery program you choose on a removable or alternate drive to reduce risk of overwriting the file you want to recover.

Original Poster

Mmmmm recuva now saying 20hoursoO

Won't Windows own restore to an earlier time do the job ?

st8mike

Won't Windows own restore to an earlier time do the job ?

​No. Only works for system files.

developers

It looks like it's too late for OP but is a good idea to install … It looks like it's too late for OP but is a good idea to install whichever recovery program you choose on a removable or alternate drive to reduce risk of overwriting the file you want to recover.

​If the data is irreplaceable or approaching that level of importance then it is still likely to be recoverable but the software to do it is expensive. However they usually have a trial version which will show you if it can actually recover the file.

The process is as you have seen very slow and the results can sometimes be a little opaque if you are not technically minded.

Original Poster

Wow!!!, huge thank you Guys, managed to 'recuva' everything, fantastic!!!

Pleased you got your data back...now get some kind of Backup routine in place!!

Original Poster

Seems I spoke too soon, all my files seem corrupted, won't open......:(

Have a read through this lot. Haven't tried it myself. google.co.uk/sea…F-8
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?817
      2. love affairs810
      3. word association Game73844475
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767217

See more discussions