Any web designers, developers or people in the know regarding websites on here?

Posted 2nd Dec
Hello all,

i need to get a website set up and i am trying to figure out a good company to buy a domain from and to host but i seem to be getting conflicting information from all directions and the reviews are so mixed its like really good or really bad. The more i read the more confused I'm getting, is it better to buy a domain and host from the same company or should i use two separate companies? What do i absolutely need to make sure i buy in the plan? What should i be spending per month on average?

If anyone has any experience with this and can give me any tips or nudges in the right direction id really appreciate it!

Many thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Rune_2H03/12/2019 00:16

Comment deleted

Thank you so much for your help, I'm currently selling on etsy and was hoping to make a website for ecommerce. Im only a small time seller, cant afford to pay to have it made for me, so thought I'd try the DIY route, not sure now though seems like a minefield soo many things to consider 🤕
Generally need domain name, web hosting and multiple-account email hosting.
If looking at the cheap end of cheap whilst still ticking (near)pro features and service, Ionos for virtually (sic) free first-year domain reg and either InfinityFree for, er, freebie (but restricted) web hosting or one of the minimal-cost / 99p annual hosting deals from likes of SharkHosting using ebay discount code for as near unlimited web and email hosting as you can get. Only starts to get towards £10 each after first year.
Infinityfree & SH have auto script installers for all the main website / blog packages so you don't need to be an installation genius, but being a genius web designer will be advantageous to arrange the content, altho most peeps can configure more than passable presentation if they have a few hours to learn. Infinityfree has very limited filesize / quota restrictions and you'll be juggling all sorts of headaches to sort more than one domain-related email address, so maybe invest the 99p in a SH package to save your sanity.
ionos.co.uk/dom…ain
infinityfree.net/ (maybe only good to experiment with rather than use as primary hosting)
or for the unlim web & email hosting @ 99p 1st year go to sharkhosting UK site, select the £6 Cloud1 package >> presumably My existing domain >> Continue >> enter the discount code found on ebay (try 99year) to drop it down to 99p.
fay2303/12/2019 00:21

Thank you so much for your help, I'm currently selling on etsy and was …Thank you so much for your help, I'm currently selling on etsy and was hoping to make a website for ecommerce. Im only a small time seller, cant afford to pay to have it made for me, so thought I'd try the DIY route, not sure now though seems like a minefield soo many things to consider 🤕

I doubt you will need much in way of bandwidth then if you are a small time seller. I use Hostpresto! Probably not the cheapest, but I have been with them for years and never had any issues with downtime. The customer service is top notch, responding almost instantly in most cases.
123reg for the domain

ecohosting for the webhosting

reg should be under a tenner for a year

hosting, depending on your package under £2.50/3 a month
I made my portfolio website with Weebly (free account - not sure if this still exists), and got a domain I pay between 10 and 20 quid every year for.
thank you all for your help!
After going through a dozen domain name registrars over the years, I’ve settled with www.gandi.net. Not the cheapest, but not pricey.

Definitely purchase your domain name and hosting from different companies. If your hosting goes down or is bad you can easily switch to another host if you do it this way.

Can’t really answer your other questions without knowing more details of you site. If it’s an e-commerce site, then it’s probably a false economy to go for bargain basement shared hosting. Being super slow to load and server downtime = less customers and worse search engine rankings.

I like cloudways.com for small sites, have recently set up a couple of small sites for clients with them. Fast if you choose a UK server. Includes a staging site. Works out about £14 a month I believe.

Good luck.
Hey I set up a website recently using these guys strikingly.com It literally took my about 10 minutes, I've used Wix and various others in the past, but this was far easier. Anyone could do it.

I've only opted for the free version, which means instead of using a paid package that allows you to add your own domain name, you use the strikingly name in combination with your own. i.e yourname.mystrikingly.com

It's a good free way to get a website live in just minutes. Then you can decide if it's a success to either pay for a package with them or just keep the free one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants