Any web designers, online media people or IT guru's out there?

Posted 4th Nov
I've been tasked to create a newsletter, so I want to try and make something that looks good not just the usual word document or a few boring pages with PowerPoint.

I've seen the flip book type PDF formats that look like real books etc when you open the pages. Is it possible to create something like this within an email or using Dreamweaver (going on a course for this soon) or is there any resources I could use to create this kind of thing?

Seen the free websites etc that can create these but not sure they'll be allowed on the network at work so just wondering what the best option would be. Or perhaps some other ideas not using a flip book style format but something that looks professional rather than rubbish?

Thanks, any pointers will be much appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Just use share point news feature. Shiny pdfs won’t make any difference to people reading it, content is more important than looks.
Try Sway, it's like PowerPoint but on steroids, makes really professional looking products, plus easy to learn using Google searches
Edited by: "sidhoooooo" 4th Nov
cmdr_elito04/11/2019 19:05

Just use share point news feature. Shiny pdfs won’t make any difference to …Just use share point news feature. Shiny pdfs won’t make any difference to people reading it, content is more important than looks.

Agreed. But if it looks pants to start with I know what I'm like myself and don't even take a look.

Good advice though
steevieboy4u04/11/2019 19:26

Agreed. But if it looks pants to start with I know what I'm like myself …Agreed. But if it looks pants to start with I know what I'm like myself and don't even take a look.Good advice though

Sway is good too. Share point news enables you to generate a news digest email.
Another way is to get a loan laptop, connect to guest wireless, install software if the laptops are not locked down too much and do it that way if you wanted to.

Therefore off the core internal network
Edited by: "chapsuk" 4th Nov
chapsuk04/11/2019 19:33

Another way is to get a loan laptop, connect to guest wireless, install …Another way is to get a loan laptop, connect to guest wireless, install software if the laptops are not locked down too much and do it that way if you wanted to.Therefore off the core internal network

I'm getting a works laptop in a few days

But not sure about what's allowed to be installed on it so don't want to risk anything or create any dodgy pdf's etc from risky websites online, then be the one who's uploaded them on to the companies network
Don't use PDFs for something designed to be read, they're horrible. Great at preserving layouts to get stuff printed, not so hot for readability.

The best format will depend on what type of content you have as well as how you want to distribute it. A website is a good bet for multimedia stuff. If you want something off-line then perhaps an ebook as it solves some of the issues with PDF like text reflow.
cmdr_elito04/11/2019 19:32

Sway is good too. Share point news enables you to generate a news digest …Sway is good too. Share point news enables you to generate a news digest email.

News digest email

Sounds interesting something else to look into. Thanks
EndlessWaves04/11/2019 19:42

Don't use PDFs for something designed to be read, they're horrible. Great …Don't use PDFs for something designed to be read, they're horrible. Great at preserving layouts to get stuff printed, not so hot for readability.The best format will depend on what type of content you have as well as how you want to distribute it. A website is a good bet for multimedia stuff. If you want something off-line then perhaps an ebook as it solves some of the issues with PDF like text reflow.

It's going to be emailed to staff at work. At the minute they just send out emails or word docs etc and no one hardly reads them as they instantly look boring no matter of the content.

I suggested the pdf flip book as it looked more interesting and appears like a real book/magazine when reading. But now getting a better insight to other ideas
Why not put it in the e-mail directly rather than as an attachment?
EndlessWaves04/11/2019 19:59

Why not put it in the e-mail directly rather than as an attachment?

That's what I'd like to do ideally but what's the best way?
cmdr_elito04/11/2019 20:23

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/create-and-send-a-news-digest-42efc3c6-605f-4a9a-85d5-1f9ff46019bf

Cheers bud
Edited by: "steevieboy4u" 4th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants