Any window fitters / diy people?

Found 30th Jun
Evening all

Recently bought our home and renovated it. Parts were done 'on the cheap' I. E. Somebody my dad knows doing the skilled work as quickly as possible but with little bits here and there left for me to do.

One such job is around a new window we had fitted in our kitchen. The window was fitted and insulating foam used but a gap remains around the window between the frame and brick work.

2972647-BTpzU.jpg2972647-W8Cqm.jpg
This measures approx 12mm at its widest. What's the best thing to use to fill or cover this? I think it's too wide for silicone or frame sealant alone.

What about something like this stuck with exterior silicone then sealed at the edges would this work?

wickes.co.uk/Wic…HPA
Community Updates
AskDIY
20 Comments
PVC beading and silicon will fill it. Something like diy.com/dep…prd
Wouldn’t be a bad idea to fill it with expanding foam. Bit of insulation,sound proofing and makes the frame more solid. Then some 19mm quadrant down the sides. Seal over the foam once you’ve cut it back then stick the quad on. If you do the silicon first if won’t matter to much if it isn’t the neatest job as the quad will hide it
marshy515 m ago

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to fill it with expanding foam. Bit of i …Wouldn’t be a bad idea to fill it with expanding foam. Bit of insulation,sound proofing and makes the frame more solid. Then some 19mm quadrant down the sides. Seal over the foam once you’ve cut it back then stick the quad on. If you do the silicon first if won’t matter to much if it isn’t the neatest job as the quad will hide it

Cheers mate there is foam in there already
ses6jwg5 m ago

I'd say you can get some more in there - you'll be thankful of it in the winter months. Try the Soudal foam from toolstation. toolstation.com/sho…dal

Then mitre some cloaking profile to give a neat finish - have a look at some neighbouring properties to see how it's done. wickes.co.uk/Wic…618
ses6jwg8 m ago

Yeah. Foam all the gap all the way down. Fill it. Just be careful as foam tends to go a bit mental if ur not used to it. If you make a mess wait until it dries and scrape it off. Don’t do it when it’s wet otherwise it’ll stain the plastic
I buy low expanding foam. Use duck tape down brick work and masking tape over upvc and glass. DO NOT GET FOAM ON PLASTIC, BRICKS, FLOOR, SKIN, cover everything with tape. Ease a little foam in all the way down. When dry cut back tidy and pull off tape. Mask up again and run white silicone down and pull off tape. Should be nice white silicone down gap with nothing on bricks or window. Materials £15 total easy to do
Edited by: "wayners" 30th Jun
First answer is easy. Sealant now while its dry. Come winter, this is a really nasty opening that could easily lead to internal wall damp. Cheap really has not been good value here. BUT

Replacement windows are Building Regs notifiable items unless the firm is FENSA approved. A FENSA approved contractor would loose the accreditation for leaving an open seal. BUT

that's possibly a minor problem. When you sell, you will be asked for all BR certs or FENSA details. Of course you may get lucky and sell to someone who uses a cheap el bodge (like your window fitter) solicitor.

Best investigate your Dad's mate's FENSA status.
wayners2 h, 17 m ago

I buy low expanding foam. Use duck tape down brick work and masking tape …I buy low expanding foam. Use duck tape down brick work and masking tape over upvc and glass. DO NOT GET FOAM ON PLASTIC, BRICKS, FLOOR, SKIN, cover everything with tape. Ease a little foam in all the way down. When dry cut back tidy and pull off tape. Mask up again and run white silicone down and pull off tape. Should be nice white silicone down gap with nothing on bricks or window. Materials £15 total easy to do

I agree with this.
For a gap that size I think putting a quadrant or trim piece in will look worse than sealant.
What a nice bunch of people.

Not like some of the other comments on threads on this site.

Keep it up, and I hope you all get constructive responses to your queries, if you ever have any.
mas9957 m ago

I agree with this.For a gap that size I think putting a quadrant or trim …I agree with this.For a gap that size I think putting a quadrant or trim piece in will look worse than sealant.

Quad down the side hiding the silicon will give a clean sharp edge rather than dodgy silicon down the brick which at about 12mm is likely to split away from the frame. Of course if you trim one you really need to trim the rest so they look the same
someone has left his good measure at home sizing up for that windows :O
ccnp4 h, 34 m ago

First answer is easy. Sealant now while its dry. Come winter, this is a …First answer is easy. Sealant now while its dry. Come winter, this is a really nasty opening that could easily lead to internal wall damp. Cheap really has not been good value here. BUTReplacement windows are Building Regs notifiable items unless the firm is FENSA approved. A FENSA approved contractor would loose the accreditation for leaving an open seal. BUTthat's possibly a minor problem. When you sell, you will be asked for all BR certs or FENSA details. Of course you may get lucky and sell to someone who uses a cheap el bodge (like your window fitter) solicitor.Best investigate your Dad's mate's FENSA status.

Yup, I bought a house and the patio doors were done by someone none FENSA approved or they couldn't find the certificate anyway and my solicitors made them purchase Indemnity Insurance, which to be honest was like £32 one off payment, but still it can cause issues.
dcx_badass7 h, 10 m ago

Yup, I bought a house and the patio doors were done by someone none FENSA …Yup, I bought a house and the patio doors were done by someone none FENSA approved or they couldn't find the certificate anyway and my solicitors made them purchase Indemnity Insurance, which to be honest was like £32 one off payment, but still it can cause issues.

You make a good point. The indemnity insurance is cheap. But once you know something visible has not been done properly, you would surely wonder what else has been done that is less visible. Prime examples are electrics and CH/HW systems.
wayners13 h, 36 m ago

I buy low expanding foam. Use duck tape down brick work and masking tape …I buy low expanding foam. Use duck tape down brick work and masking tape over upvc and glass. DO NOT GET FOAM ON PLASTIC, BRICKS, FLOOR, SKIN, cover everything with tape. Ease a little foam in all the way down. When dry cut back tidy and pull off tape. Mask up again and run white silicone down and pull off tape. Should be nice white silicone down gap with nothing on bricks or window. Materials £15 total easy to do

Like it
ccnp1 h, 53 m ago

You make a good point. The indemnity insurance is cheap. But once you …You make a good point. The indemnity insurance is cheap. But once you know something visible has not been done properly, you would surely wonder what else has been done that is less visible. Prime examples are electrics and CH/HW systems.

Yep, the rewire they'd had was illegal, (diagonal wires etc.) luckily we can sort ourselves so not an issue or too expensive and you could have left as is, but we were stripping walls/floors anyway.
Use backer rod first then sealant / mortar.
Thanks for the advice all I tackled this job this morning with some wickes pvcu quadrant and no nonsense builders silicone total cost about £5

Might not be to everyone's standards but think it's OK thanks for all your help

34222889-sBBFu.jpg34222889-YTnHb.jpg
ses6jwg2 h, 20 m ago

Thanks for the advice all I tackled this job this morning with some wickes …Thanks for the advice all I tackled this job this morning with some wickes pvcu quadrant and no nonsense builders silicone total cost about £5Might not be to everyone's standards but think it's OK thanks for all your help [Image] [Image]

That doesnt look bad at all. I've seen messier jobs from "professionals". In fact I wouldnt even use the term messier as it implies yours is to some degree messy when its not grab yourself a beer and take pride in a job well done.
Edited by: "harlzter" 3rd Jul
ses6jwg7 h, 11 m ago

Thanks for the advice all I tackled this job this morning with some wickes …Thanks for the advice all I tackled this job this morning with some wickes pvcu quadrant and no nonsense builders silicone total cost about £5Might not be to everyone's standards but think it's OK thanks for all your help [Image] [Image]

That’s impressive if you don’t do it day in day out. But you see if you had siliconed behind the trim you would have a straight sharp line from the trim. Did you silicon the trim to the window or use a gap filler such as stelmax. Nicely done though.
marshy511 h, 26 m ago

That’s impressive if you don’t do it day in day out. But you see if you had …That’s impressive if you don’t do it day in day out. But you see if you had siliconed behind the trim you would have a straight sharp line from the trim. Did you silicon the trim to the window or use a gap filler such as stelmax. Nicely done though.

I siliconed the trim on both edges, pushed into position, fixing to the window and brickwork then used a damp rag to remove the excess. I then siliconed any gaps and smoothed with a wet finger and removed excess.
Edited by: "ses6jwg" 3rd Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants