Anybody buys broken TVs in Lincolnshire

Found 3rd Feb
I have a 3 week old Smart TV - my father went dizzy and managed to break the screen . Just wondered if anyone has any idea if anybody buys TVs for spares or repairs - based in Lincolnshire. It is such a shame as the TV is less than 3 weeks old.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
Put it up on Schpock, it’s free and you might find somebody.
Buy the same TV again, but with accidental damage cover?
It could be covered under house content insurance
Hmm, my dad phoned the company and told them what had happened, so buying accidental cover wouldn't be an option now, but he is so honest he wouldn't do that. He wont claim under house content insurance either. He is 90 this month and is "old school" if you know what I mean.

I will look up Schpock thanks, I have never of it, but anything to try and get him a bit of money back is worth trying. So many thanks
majestic20121 h, 34 m ago

Put it up on Schpock, it’s free and you might find somebody.

I have put it on Shpock, thanks Majestic2012 - hopefully may get a few quid for my dad
Have sold 2 cracked screen TVs on eBay in the past
Obidashi26 m ago

I have put it on Shpock, thanks Majestic2012 - hopefully may get a few …I have put it on Shpock, thanks Majestic2012 - hopefully may get a few quid for my dad

That's a bit harsh, I thought it was the TV you wanted to sell not your father.
Dyslexic_Dog19 m ago

That's a bit harsh, I thought it was the TV you wanted to sell not your …That's a bit harsh, I thought it was the TV you wanted to sell not your father.

Love it, that made me splutter my wine over the screen !! xx
Bradleigh29 m ago

Have sold 2 cracked screen TVs on eBay in the past

Hi Bradleigh, what do you think a realistic price would be. It is a 43" Toshiba Smart TV with Freeview play etc. I could list it on Ebay and hope for the best
Obidashi10 m ago

Hi Bradleigh, what do you think a realistic price would be. It is a 43" …Hi Bradleigh, what do you think a realistic price would be. It is a 43" Toshiba Smart TV with Freeview play etc. I could list it on Ebay and hope for the best

Where ever you sell it remember cash on collection only and make them fully aware that it's sold as seen, aka no returning it.
Obidashi14 m ago

Hi Bradleigh, what do you think a realistic price would be. It is a 43" …Hi Bradleigh, what do you think a realistic price would be. It is a 43" Toshiba Smart TV with Freeview play etc. I could list it on Ebay and hope for the best

Look on eBay and gauge a price , if it's nearly new no doubt someone will buy it and replace the screen
Picture it turned on so damage is visible and you can see what sort of picture is still showing
I sold one with a cracked screen and one with pixels gone so had a line on the screen
Both were about 4-5 years ago and I think I still got about £60
Was better than the bin
Might be worth more depending on spec and damage
You could risk a 99p start and chance it
I listed mine buy it now or best offer
Once I received a offer I messaged them a contact number and dealt off of eBay
Saves the Messer's and the chancers
Good luck
Bradleigh3 m ago

Look on eBay and gauge a price , if it's nearly new no doubt someone will …Look on eBay and gauge a price , if it's nearly new no doubt someone will buy it and replace the screenPicture it turned on so damage is visible and you can see what sort of picture is still showingI sold one with a cracked screen and one with pixels gone so had a line on the screenBoth were about 4-5 years ago and I think I still got about £60Was better than the bin Might be worth more depending on spec and damageYou could risk a 99p start and chance itI listed mine buy it now or best offerOnce I received a offer I messaged them a contact number and dealt off of eBaySaves the Messer's and the chancersGood luck

Thanks Bradleigh, great info and advice, appreciate it
dataload7 m ago

Where ever you sell it remember cash on collection only and make them …Where ever you sell it remember cash on collection only and make them fully aware that it's sold as seen, aka no returning it.

Thanks, again great advice
Obidashi2 h, 39 m ago

Hmm, my dad phoned the company and told them what had happened, so buying …Hmm, my dad phoned the company and told them what had happened, so buying accidental cover wouldn't be an option now, but he is so honest he wouldn't do that. He wont claim under house content insurance either. He is 90 this month and is "old school" if you know what I mean. I will look up Schpock thanks, I have never of it, but anything to try and get him a bit of money back is worth trying. So many thanks

Why have house insurance if he's not going to claim ?

Probably worth about £1.56 with broken screen.
Edited by: "Darzen" 4th Feb
Darzen24 m ago

Why have house insurance if he's not going to claim ?Probably worth about …Why have house insurance if he's not going to claim ?Probably worth about £1.56 with broken screen.

Probably because at 89 years old, it is too stressful for him. Also no doubt there would be an excess on the policy and potentially a higher premium the following years. If I am unable to recuperate some money for him, he will be no worse off, although reading the above replies, it looks like there is a possibility of getting something for it, especially as it was only bought 15th January 2018. Fingers crossed
Edited by: "Obidashi" 4th Feb
Obidashi49 m ago

Probably because at 89 years old, it is too stressful for him. Also no …Probably because at 89 years old, it is too stressful for him. Also no doubt there would be an excess on the policy and potentially a higher premium the following years. If I am unable to recuperate some money for him, he will be no worse off, although reading the above replies, it looks like there is a possibility of getting something for it, especially as it was only bought 15th January 2018. Fingers crossed

Personally I'd be tempted to buy the same model and then just say it was damaged when you opened the box.

Obviously this is dishonest etc but depending on which company you got it from, they wont lose sleep over it.
As a separate issue, is it worth seeing if you can mount the new TV on a wall somewhere out of harm's way should he (hopefully not, obviously) ever have another trip/ dizzy spell.
dataload8 h, 0 m ago

Personally I'd be tempted to buy the same model and then just say it was …Personally I'd be tempted to buy the same model and then just say it was damaged when you opened the box.Obviously this is dishonest etc but depending on which company you got it from, they wont lose sleep over it.

He is old school and too honest. He knows he has lost the money, I am just going to see if I can recoup him something.
Dyslexic_Dog53 m ago

As a separate issue, is it worth seeing if you can mount the new TV on a …As a separate issue, is it worth seeing if you can mount the new TV on a wall somewhere out of harm's way should he (hopefully not, obviously) ever have another trip/ dizzy spell.

Great minds! I am trying to persuade him to accept that, but gee it's hard getting him to agree. Maybe it's an age thing. However, thank you for thinking about him and the replacement TV.
Obidashi19 m ago

Great minds! I am trying to persuade him to accept that, but gee it's …Great minds! I am trying to persuade him to accept that, but gee it's hard getting him to agree. Maybe it's an age thing. However, thank you for thinking about him and the replacement TV.

I know what it's like I have in-laws in their late eighties and trying to get them to accept any sort of changes is very difficult, it's almost like training animals or children at times you have to offer some sort of bribe to distract them from the changes.
Obidashi10 h, 27 m ago

Love it, that made me splutter my wine over the screen !! xx

Sorry, I hope you don't need to replace your PC now, I'm not really helping am I.
Obidashi15 h, 0 m ago

Hmm, my dad phoned the company and told them what had happened, so buying …Hmm, my dad phoned the company and told them what had happened, so buying accidental cover wouldn't be an option now, but he is so honest he wouldn't do that. He wont claim under house content insurance either. He is 90 this month and is "old school" if you know what I mean. I will look up Schpock thanks, I have never of it, but anything to try and get him a bit of money back is worth trying. So many thanks

I am not suggesting anything dodgy, i am saying that you need to check your house contents insurance as it may be covered.
What tv is it ?
allowed9 h, 3 m ago

I am not suggesting anything dodgy, i am saying that you need to check …I am not suggesting anything dodgy, i am saying that you need to check your house contents insurance as it may be covered.

Thanks for your reply, he wont claim through his house contents insurance, I think at 89 he just doesn't want the hassle, and he wont let me do it on his behalf. Also with the excess on the policy and possible insurance hikes in subsequent years, he just wont do it. Thanks anyway
Dyslexic_Dog11 h, 56 m ago

I know what it's like I have in-laws in their late eighties and trying to …I know what it's like I have in-laws in their late eighties and trying to get them to accept any sort of changes is very difficult, it's almost like training animals or children at times you have to offer some sort of bribe to distract them from the changes.

I have to subtly suggest things and later on it becomes their idea and then I agree what an excellent decision
Obidashi9 m ago

Thanks for your reply, he wont claim through his house contents insurance, …Thanks for your reply, he wont claim through his house contents insurance, I think at 89 he just doesn't want the hassle, and he wont let me do it on his behalf. Also with the excess on the policy and possible insurance hikes in subsequent years, he just wont do it. Thanks anyway

LOL

I guess what you have learned from this is that even at 89 he has no intention of leaving anytime soon.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants