Anybody else suddenly got HD channels on Sky?

Found 26th Sep 2012
Happened to turn on Sky last night and noticed some of the channels had changed from the normal sd to new HD channels on my Sky HD box.

Don't have the HD sub but went online to Sky and seems I now have the HD pack with no increase in my bill.

Weird.
Community Updates
MiscSkyGame of Thrones
36 Comments
Guv will be here in 5, 4,...
master_chief

3, 2.......................
I think it only applies to the normal tv channels ie BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
I dont have sky1 HD, i feel cheated.
realfriendlyman

I think it only applies to the normal tv channels ie BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, … I think it only applies to the normal tv channels ie BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

No, i've always had the normal 'freeview' HD channels.

I installed the HD boxes myself as I wanted the new EPG, Anytime+ and the free HD channels. I happened to turn on Sky late last night and went to Sky 1 and noticed it came up in 1080i and was labeled Sky 1 HD. Checked around the EPG and all movies are 'HD' as is Dave, living, Scifi ect.

It's the fact it seems to be free that has thrown me.
Id check your account online to see if its been added to your account
Just you, no change for me unfortunately. It will happen one day though, it has to
I bet they haven't knocked £10 off my monthly rate.
abch4

Just you, no change for me unfortunately. It will happen one day though, … Just you, no change for me unfortunately. It will happen one day though, it has to

Dont reckon it will

£10.25 per month to watch HD - " On 31 March 2012, Sky announced that the total number of homes with Sky+HD currently stands at 4,222,000" -

Thats £43,275,500 in HD subscription alone PER MONTH assuming figures havnt fallen and everyone pays without discounts etc

Would you give it free???

Edited by: "ed1980" 26th Sep 2012
I have the HD channels in my account now but no extra cost to my bill.

I assume it's some kind of deal to give me free HD for a month or so in the hope I continue the subscription when it expires. Probably have to ring them later to make sure.
ed1980

Dont reckon it will£10 per month to watch HD - " On 31 March 2012, Sky … Dont reckon it will£10 per month to watch HD - " On 31 March 2012, Sky announced that the total number of homes with Sky+HD currently stands at 4,222,000" - Thats £42,220,000 in HD subscription alone.Would you give it free???

They made the Plus service free.
master_chief

Eventually they will have to make it free when Freeview HD becomes more common. Hopefully with the digital switchover they will drop the cost of multiroom or give a free multiroom with HD, basically something to cut down the cost of putting Sky throughout a household to grab some of those new customers.
master_chief

Sky+ is free but you still pay £10.25 for HD content
ed1980

Dont reckon it will£10.25 per month to watch HD - " On 31 March 2012, Sky … Dont reckon it will£10.25 per month to watch HD - " On 31 March 2012, Sky announced that the total number of homes with Sky+HD currently stands at 4,222,000" - Thats £43,275,500 in HD subscription alone PER MONTH assuming figures havnt fallen and everyone pays without discounts etcWould you give it free???

Yes it will eventually go free. Not if, but when. That's the way tech works
ed1980

Sky+ is free but you still pay £10.25 for HD content

it wasn't free to begin with, then they made it free despite the loss in revenue that would have entailed.
master_chief

I don't pay for sky or use an HD box with a card in it.

Obviously all my sky HD channels are working perfectly.
guv

I don't pay for sky or use an HD box with a card in it.Obviously all my … I don't pay for sky or use an HD box with a card in it.Obviously all my sky HD channels are working perfectly.

Livin' the 'dream'
guv

I don't pay for sky or use an HD box with a card in it.Obviously all my … I don't pay for sky or use an HD box with a card in it.Obviously all my sky HD channels are working perfectly.

Took your time!
master_chief

Took your time!

Vodafone seems to be a bit slow at the moment so the text alert took longer than it should have.
master_chief

Took your time!

It's his age, things take longer these days
Are you nearing the end of your contract?. They added hd for free around the time my 12 month contract was up.
wishihadadonkey

No pill for this particular ailment either...
boxerb

Are you nearing the end of your contract?. They added hd for free around … Are you nearing the end of your contract?. They added hd for free around the time my 12 month contract was up.

Not as far as i'm aware, need to check later to make sure.
ed1980

Dont reckon it will£10.25 per month to watch HD - " On 31 March 2012, Sky … Dont reckon it will£10.25 per month to watch HD - " On 31 March 2012, Sky announced that the total number of homes with Sky+HD currently stands at 4,222,000" - Thats £43,275,500 in HD subscription alone PER MONTH assuming figures havnt fallen and everyone pays without discounts etcWould you give it free???

I get your point, and it will still be a lot of money, but I don't pay full price for HD, nor do I know anyone who does
wishihadadonkey

Sssh. I know you mean well, but you'll will embarrass MC with his premeture Ejeculation problems. There's never a substitute for experience.
sancho1983

I get your point, and it will still be a lot of money, but I don't pay … I get your point, and it will still be a lot of money, but I don't pay full price for HD, nor do I know anyone who does

The current offer is 75% off any package providing you take HD at £10.25pm.. so Im guessing there are a few that do!
Nope, but I've just noticed they have "catch up" on the sky box after last nights update with iplayer on it
guv

Sssh. I know you mean well, but you'll will embarrass MC with his … Sssh. I know you mean well, but you'll will embarrass MC with his premeture Ejeculation problems. There's never a substitute for experience.

Trying to start a new rumour? We'll see if it sticks as well as your problem...
master_chief

Trying to start a new rumour? We'll see if it sticks as well as your … Trying to start a new rumour? We'll see if it sticks as well as your problem...

Well you come quicker in this thread than I did.
guv

I'm in-cline-d to wonder what you mean
What I have never understood is why some people (aka Sky subscribers) pay every month to be shown advertisments. That has got to be THE BEST sales technique ever...
Krosus

Guv is one smooth king of the satellite.
Krosus

Sea lions are banned around here.

Got a letter from Sky today telling me that as i'm such a loyal customer (had sky for years) they have activated HD on my account for free.

That was nice of them.
Just gave Sky a call, turns out I've got the HD channels for 8 months! That's only for the channels I already pay for, eg. not Sports or Movies, but still nice to get something for free!
its free to loyal customers that have more than one multiroom box as long as you keep the multiroom
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants