Expired

Anybody flown with Thomson from Luton?

Found 19th May 2014
I'm due to fly from Luton with Thomson ( flight only) on Saturday and I was wondering if they check your hand luggage size and weight at the boarding gate. I've checked in online and printed my board passes so don't need to go to any desk as I do not have hold luggage. I know the hand luggage limits are tiny at only 5kg but I was just wondering whether they would check to see if it weighed more at any point.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
like most airlines - it will depend on the gate staff on the day

If someone here says they were not checked it does not mean to say you will not be too!

All low cost / charter airlines say in theri T&Cs that they can check the weight of your hand luggage at any time and ether force you to check it is as hold baggage for an increased fee or get you to dispose of some stuff.

At the end of the day it will depend how much over you are.

If you have a smallish sized hand baggage and it's not bulging at the seams of you are not struggling to carry it, the chances are they will not check. However if you are if have a full sized hand luggage and it looks really full then they may well check!

So if you are trying to get away without buying hold luggage space and you have a weeks worth of clothes, you are taking a risk!

EliTom
elitom

like most airlines - it will depend on the gate staff on the dayIf … like most airlines - it will depend on the gate staff on the dayIf someone here says they were not checked it does not mean to say you will not be too!All low cost / charter airlines say in theri T&Cs that they can check the weight of your hand luggage at any time and ether force you to check it is as hold baggage for an increased fee or get you to dispose of some stuff.At the end of the day it will depend how much over you are.If you have a smallish sized hand baggage and it's not bulging at the seams of you are not struggling to carry it, the chances are they will not check. However if you are if have a full sized hand luggage and it looks really full then they may well check!So if you are trying to get away without buying hold luggage space and you have a weeks worth of clothes, you are taking a risk!EliTom

Thanks for response. Don't get me wrong I won't be putting more in my bag than my allowance and my bag is way smaller than it could be. You would be amazed how little stuff you really NEED when you go away. I have also adapted my raincoat to have a secret compartment at the back for two beach towels and my kobo reader if i need to (the cheapskate's version of Martin Lewis' laptop jacket X) I have travelled loads with Thomson who have never checked bags after you have checked in at the desk but with online check in now introduced for Thomson I wondered if things had changed.
Read this. It's a bit extreme though ... dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Edited by: "redhot999" 19th May 2014
Not all gates at Luton have baggage scales, but most have the bag size check.

Regards,

JP
jp297

Not all gates at Luton have baggage scales, but most have the bag size … Not all gates at Luton have baggage scales, but most have the bag size check.Regards,JP

OK thanks. Have you flown at all with Thomson since September last year?
Edited by: "redhot999" 19th May 2014
Sorry haven't flown with Thomson, just fly from Luton. Most airlines these days are so pressed to so quick turnarounds most don't use the scales, but if they think your bag is too big they may ask you to place it in the bag size check.

On a side note 5kg isn't much considering the bag probably weighs 1-2kg.

Regards,

JP
jp297

Sorry haven't flown with Thomson, just fly from Luton. Most airlines … Sorry haven't flown with Thomson, just fly from Luton. Most airlines these days are so pressed to so quick turnarounds most don't use the scales, but if they think your bag is too big they may ask you to place it in the bag size check. On a side note 5kg isn't much considering the bag probably weighs 1-2kg.Regards,JP

I thought that but we do travel light. We are taking rucksacks and I did a provisional pack of necessities to see how much it weighed and it was just over 3kg! Bikinis literally weigh nothing The only problem was how do I fit in the beach towels but I solved that problem (see above :))
Just to close the matter for the record nobody paid any attention at all to the size or weight of our hand luggage when we boarded.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants