Anybody got experience with Mega.nz?

Found 11th Mar 2017
So i was backing up some of my data (about 10GB) when all of sudden the tab just "disappeared' on chrome. it wasn't the case that google chrome closed or anything because i had separate window opened in different "desktop" on OSX. So does anyone know how to resume because it only uploaded about 60% of it before this happened. it shows the files that have been uploaded but i dont have a clue which one (s) are not complete.

any help is appreciated

17 Comments

Not used myself but I think your better off using onedrive. Google drive. Dropbox or amazon unlimited if you are a prime member... The ability to look and control files online is why I have been put off using some of the alternatives.I guess the problem is the cost although small. Not what you were asking but thought I would throw my thoughts in. Degoo is 100gig free with 2 devices... Better than mega I believe degoo.com/

Original Poster

wayners

Not used myself but I think your better off using onedrive. Google drive. … Not used myself but I think your better off using onedrive. Google drive. Dropbox or amazon unlimited if you are a prime member... The ability to look and control files online is why I have been put off using some of the alternatives.I guess the problem is the cost although small. Not what you were asking but thought I would throw my thoughts in. Degoo is 100gig free with 2 devices... Better than mega I believe https://degoo.com/

never heard of it..how reliable and safe it it?

xPabloz

never heard of it..how reliable and safe it it?

​Don't know.. But mega got raided and shutdown by FBI a few years back if memory serves. The advice is to always keep files in 3 locations, one should be off site so I guess just pick one. I use Google drive.. 19gig...for files and goggle photos unlimited for pictures.. Then usb sticks as a second backup. With some stuff on external drives... MEGA has been talked about on here a few times. If you can get it to work for you stick with it I guess ...

Been using Mega for quite a while for cloud back ups. The app megasync is pretty good at folder mirroring too which makes life easier to upload everything you want. Not sure if there's an OSX one.

Original Poster

Astec123

Been using Mega for quite a while for cloud back ups. The app megasync is … Been using Mega for quite a while for cloud back ups. The app megasync is pretty good at folder mirroring too which makes life easier to upload everything you want. Not sure if there's an OSX one.

i think there is, i uploaded through browser something probably went wrong so i guess it cancelled it. although it shows almost all files i tried uploading about 40% of them are like 4KB.

Original Poster

wayners

​Don't know.. But mega got raided and shutdown by FBI a few years back if … ​Don't know.. But mega got raided and shutdown by FBI a few years back if memory serves. The advice is to always keep files in 3 locations, one should be off site so I guess just pick one. I use Google drive.. 19gig...for files and goggle photos unlimited for pictures.. Then usb sticks as a second backup. With some stuff on external drives... MEGA has been talked about on here a few times. If you can get it to work for you stick with it I guess ...

is google photos unlimited? the stuff am uploading is mixture of photos and videos (mainly videos).

Yes. unlimited

Original Poster

wayners

Yes. unlimited

great thanks probs go with this then

wayners

​Don't know.. But mega got raided and shutdown by FBI a few years back if … ​Don't know.. But mega got raided and shutdown by FBI a few years back if memory serves.

That was Megaupload, although the new Mega is connected to Kim Dotcom, they're seperate companies and the new Mega is not under any criminal investigation, not like that ever stopped the yanks policing the internet mind but that's another story.

xPabloz

i think there is, i uploaded through browser something probably went … i think there is, i uploaded through browser something probably went wrong so i guess it cancelled it. although it shows almost all files i tried uploading about 40% of them are like 4KB.

4kb files will be place holder files to say the file exists but hasn't transferred the data. If you want to upload like you are, get the app and then set up a folder to sync, you can then turn the computer on and off and it will just do the job as you need it until it's finished.

If you have a photographs and videos folder then you can simply set that one to be synchronised and it will do the job all the time in the background for your reassurance. It's what I do with mine all the time.

As to working out what has and has not been been transferred you'll either have to do it manually or set up a folder to sync with the Megasync application and it should ignore any stuff that's already been transferred successfully.

Finally, Google Photos only offers unlimited in certain conditions so worth investigating if it's what you need.

support.google.com/pho…-GB

Edited by: "Astec123" 12th Mar 2017

Original Poster

Astec123

4kb files will be place holder files to say the file exists but hasn't … 4kb files will be place holder files to say the file exists but hasn't transferred the data. If you want to upload like you are, get the app and then set up a folder to sync, you can then turn the computer on and off and it will just do the job as you need it until it's finished. If you have a photographs and videos folder then you can simply set that one to be synchronised and it will do the job all the time in the background for your reassurance. It's what I do with mine all the time.As to working out what has and has not been been transferred you'll either have to do it manually or set up a folder to sync with the Megasync application and it should ignore any stuff that's already been transferred successfully. Finally, Google Photos only offers unlimited in certain conditions so worth investigating if it's what you need. https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en-GB

thanks for your reply. i did download the app and its really good only problem is i was backing up data from external drive and for some reason its creating a copy on the main hard (of the laptop) so would be nice if it didnt do that since space is limited (ssd)...google photos is very good too but what i dont understand is there was probably few things thta was hd and rest were low quality yet it used up all the storage so i had to set it to use "highest quality" and not "original" to be able to benefit from "unlimited" storage

xPabloz

thanks for your reply. i did download the app and its really good only … thanks for your reply. i did download the app and its really good only problem is i was backing up data from external drive and for some reason its creating a copy on the main hard (of the laptop) so would be nice if it didnt do that since space is limited (ssd)...google photos is very good too but what i dont understand is there was probably few things thta was hd and rest were low quality yet it used up all the storage so i had to set it to use "highest quality" and not "original" to be able to benefit from "unlimited" storage

​Google photos compresses files a little although not that you would notice. Keeping original is just that, but you are limited to the drive size... It is a backup not a place to keep original files so go with the unlimited.. You should keep your originals on a stick or drive. Maybe delete and categorise them where as Google photos just dump the lot on and don't worry about sorting through.. You will find amazing search features with Google photos though.. Face recognition. Objects. Times. Places... Very Useful

Original Poster

wayners

​Google photos compresses files a little although not that you would n … ​Google photos compresses files a little although not that you would notice. Keeping original is just that, but you are limited to the drive size... It is a backup not a place to keep original files so go with the unlimited.. You should keep your originals on a stick or drive. Maybe delete and categorise them where as Google photos just dump the lot on and don't worry about sorting through.. You will find amazing search features with Google photos though.. Face recognition. Objects. Times. Places... Very Useful

i had no option but to compress and you're right the compression is very little and at the end of day it is a backup like you said. thanks

xPabloz

thanks for your reply. i did download the app and its really good only … thanks for your reply. i did download the app and its really good only problem is i was backing up data from external drive and for some reason its creating a copy on the main hard (of the laptop) so would be nice if it didnt do that since space is limited (ssd)...google photos is very good too but what i dont understand is there was probably few things thta was hd and rest were low quality yet it used up all the storage so i had to set it to use "highest quality" and not "original" to be able to benefit from "unlimited" storage

Sounds like you have the sync folder set up somewhere. You want the sync folder to be the one on the portable drive within the app.

Original Poster

Astec123

Sounds like you have the sync folder set up somewhere. You want the sync … Sounds like you have the sync folder set up somewhere. You want the sync folder to be the one on the portable drive within the app.

the folder i selected for syncing is on external drive but soon as sync/backup starts a folder pops up on main drive and i can't see option to not do that anywhere. i've tried to install the app on the external drive itself (on mac but drive is ntfs) but it doesnt work .

edit: selecting "get info" option for the sync folder on main drive shows location of external drive but its still using up space of the main drive
Edited by: "xPabloz" 12th Mar 2017

Kim Dotcom walked away from that site in Jul 2015 saying he no longer trusted it.
One reason given was a hostile takeover by a Chinese investor.
Apparently he has plans for his own site. When that will be is not known but it is said to be sooner rather than later.

Original Poster

Bingstroller

Kim Dotcom walked away from that site in Jul 2015 saying he no longer … Kim Dotcom walked away from that site in Jul 2015 saying he no longer trusted it. One reason given was a hostile takeover by a Chinese investor.Apparently he has plans for his own site. When that will be is not known but it is said to be sooner rather than later.

cant really trust anyone really which is why you should encrypt important data if your gonna back it to cloud
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants