Groups

Anybody Know When Harvest Festival is this year?

Assumed it would be easy to find the date but.............

10 Comments

Original Poster

starsparkle2311

Google found me this info:Harvest festivals are traditionally held on or … Google found me this info:Harvest festivals are traditionally held on or near the Sunday of the Harvest Moon. This is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox (about Sept. 23). In two years out of three, the Harvest Moon comes in September, but in some years it occurs in October.

Yep, got that far also but could get nothing more specific.

Seems hard/impossible so far to find out if this is the one year in four or not? oO

25/9/2010

linky

Traditional Mass will usually be held on the Sunday, with the Saturday the day for the kiddiewinks. Most places will have the date set as the weekend.

beans

Isn't it when all is safely gathered in....

"We plough the fields and scatter
    The good seed on the land,"

Original Poster

We wanted to do something from our school allotment that tied the Harvest in with Harvest Festival. However I have just found out because our school has a lot going on they have put the celebration back to the middle of October.

Seems to undermine the whole celebration to me and feels like it teaches children to ignore nature.

Plum

We wanted to do something from our school allotment that tied the … We wanted to do something from our school allotment that tied the Harvest in with Harvest Festival. However I have just found out because our school has a lot going on they have put the celebration back to the middle of October. Seems to undermine the whole celebration to me and feels like it teaches children to ignore nature.

The school have moved it? That's like saying ' We're too busy right now for Easter/Christmas/May Day so we'll have it in a few weeks'. Bizarre.

Original Poster

Penny Saver

The school have moved it? That's like saying ' We're too busy right now … The school have moved it? That's like saying ' We're too busy right now for Easter/Christmas/May Day so we'll have it in a few weeks'. Bizarre.

That was my reaction exactly! But before I went in all guns blazing I wanted a definite date I could quote.

Is it really important that Harvest Festival is celebrated at the correct time, unless you live in a rural countryside location where farming is an important part of the community who'd know if you did it at the wrong time?

Original Poster

greg_68

Is it really important that Harvest Festival is celebrated at the correct … Is it really important that Harvest Festival is celebrated at the correct time, unless you live in a rural countryside location where farming is an important part of the community who'd know if you did it at the wrong time?

I think it is more important for "city children" to have these connections to nature. When you are in a rural community it is all around and they cannot help but feel a connection to the seasons etc.

However children livining in urban areas can as you say be completely disconnected to nature. I don't believe this is ever a good thing for them or society as a whole.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927359
      2. love affairs1344
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047105
      4. word association Game73944484

See more discussions