Anybody used Starling banking when travelling in Japan?

Posted 5th Sep 2018
I'm going to be heading to Japan for 6 months for work. Will not be able to get a local bank account due to visa 'challenges'.

Employer will pay me a daily living allowance into my UK bank account. But paying with a mastercard, or using an ATM always results in charges, which I could claim as an expense, but it's PITA.

A Starling bank account looks like it would work, as they have free mastercard use and free atm withdrawals.

But experience has told me that ATMs can be picky in Japan when it comes to foreign cards. I know it's got better in recent years with the 7-11 ATMs being more flexible. So wondering if anybody has used Starling successfully (or unsuccessfully) over there?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Hi
I love the starling Bank card .
i have used it in a few countries but not Japan, but this might help a bit.
community.starlingbank.com/t/u…269
Would a Revolut card work for you? You would have to put £ onto it. But then could use the card for payments in Japan if you converted to yen. There is a charge for atm withdrawals though
@adriang68 Did you find out if this card works? I'm looking to use it myself on a trip to Tokyo shortly.
xasdew_38 m ago

@adriang68 Did you find out if this card works? I'm looking to use it …@adriang68 Did you find out if this card works? I'm looking to use it myself on a trip to Tokyo shortly.

I'm leaving for Tokyo on Thursday, so will know when I arrive, will report back.

@xasdew_
Card is working just fine in Japan. Only tried in one 7-11 ATM, which along with Citibank, are friendly for foreign cards when compared to the ones from domestic banks. Have also used the card in several stores including supermarkets. I had to sign one time, which is interesting because there is no signature on the back of my card. I have yet to enter my PIN.

Exchange rates seems really competitive. My wife just spent ¥15,450 in Uniqlo, Starling converted that to £105.45. When I checked the 'interbank rate' on the app on my phone, it came up as £106.17.
No sign of any charges at all in my Starling account.
Brilliant, thanks! Hope you enjoy your stay.
Edited by: "xasdew_" 26th Oct 2018
A bit late to the party but my experience was perfect. I paid for my hotel using it. I needed to cancel a bus ticket in the middle of nowhere and the refund was made back to my Starilng account within 30 mins. I drew cash from ATM in banks with no issue and all exchange rates were as expected. Travel to Japan with Starling with confidence.
adriang6823/10/2018 07:29

@xasdew_ Card is working just fine in Japan. Only tried in one 7-11 ATM, …@xasdew_ Card is working just fine in Japan. Only tried in one 7-11 ATM, which along with Citibank, are friendly for foreign cards when compared to the ones from domestic banks. Have also used the card in several stores including supermarkets. I had to sign one time, which is interesting because there is no signature on the back of my card. I have yet to enter my PIN. Exchange rates seems really competitive. My wife just spent ¥15,450 in Uniqlo, Starling converted that to £105.45. When I checked the 'interbank rate' on the app on my phone, it came up as £106.17. No sign of any charges at all in my Starling account.

Hello, I will be visiting Japan soon and was wondering if you were charged a fee for using your Starling card at the 7-11 ATM. Just wondering if you know of any ATM that accepts the Starling card which does not charge a fee.
7-11 Bank is probably the most ‘international card friendly’ of all the Japanese banks. I’ve never had a problem with them, even before I had my 6 months in Japan and before I got a Startling account set up.

Fees, Startling do not charge any foreign transaction fees.

I can’t remember if 7-11 Bank change a few locally for using their ATMs, if they did, it was a nominal amount. I don’t see it saying there was a charge when I look at my online statements.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants