Anyone any good at fixing network problems?

21 replies
Found 8th Feb 2010
Our wireless internet connection is down.

We can only connect to the internet with a ethernet lead.
Wireless signal is excelllent. Router picks up our network and our neighbours, just no internet.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

1. Misc
  2. Movie
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Movie
21 Comments

How can your router pick up your network and your neighbours, you mean the Wifi card?

WEP/WPA key or passphrase has changed on the router and your machines have an old one?

Original Poster

saayinla;7786561

How can your router pick up your network and your neighbours, you mean … How can your router pick up your network and your neighbours, you mean the Wifi card?

Linksys router is picking up our network (and our neighbours), jsut not internet.

Original Poster

aardvarking;7786576

WEP/WPA key or passphrase has changed on the router and your machines … WEP/WPA key or passphrase has changed on the router and your machines have an old one?

Same passkey as usual.

Banned

Mac or PC?

Original Poster

JonnyTwoToes;7786618

Mac or PC?

PCs. Vista & XP.

More than one PC? Did you say your could connect to your router but just not get on the net?

Go to

Start
run
type: cmd then ok
type: ping [url]www.google.com[/url] then enter. What do you get?

Original Poster

woz;7786690

More than one PC? Go to Startruntype: cmd then oktype: ping … More than one PC? Go to Startruntype: cmd then oktype: ping [url]www.google.com[/url]Did you say your could connect to your router but just on the net

More than 1 PC.

Ping results: 4 packets sent; 4 packets received; Lost = 0
30ms average.

I can only connect to the internet when an ethernet lead is used. Wireless connection is down.

Can you still connect to the router though? Even tho there is no net?

Turn your router off for a couple of mins at the mains, Then try again.

Original Poster

woz;7786761

Can you still connect to the router though? Even tho there is no net?

Yes, I can connect to my routers set up page (when the ethernet is unplugged).

Original Poster

shauneco;7786789

Turn your router off for a couple of mins at the mains, Then try again.

Router has been off for hours.

The above will probably work to be fair. However it is working via Ethernet. If you have a ping reply over wireless then that is good as you are connected to the router. It may mean an app is blocking the pages. Have you installed any new virus software?

Original Poster

woz;7786812

The above will probably work to be fair. However it is working via … The above will probably work to be fair. However it is working via Ethernet. If you have a ping reply over wireless then that is good as you are connected to the router. It may mean an app is blocking the pages. Have you installed any new virus software?

Multiple PCs (4) have no connection.

Sorry I'm an idiot, forgot to take the lead out before pinging google. No reponse to ping when wireless.

Have you got another web browser you can try?

Sorry, I'm getting a little lost. You can't connect on 4 machines? Which one did you get a ping response from? How are you connected? BT line? Take out all connections, including phone line and filters

Original Poster

woz;7786866

Sorry, I'm getting a little lost. You can't connect on 4 machines? Which … Sorry, I'm getting a little lost. You can't connect on 4 machines? Which one did you get a ping response from? How are you connected? BT line? Take out all connections, including phone line and filters

Sorry I'm an idiot, forgot to take the lead out before pinging google. No reponse to ping when wireless.

Right ok, seems as though your settings are messed on the router. I would reset your router (small pin)and then try and connect unsecured to see if it has worked then if it has, secure it! Do you know how to set it up again?

Original Poster

Splendid! I was starting to think the router was broke.

Resetting and reinstalling hardware worked. I knew it had worked when I heard whopping from the next room.

It's a good idea to have your router settings written down somewhere.

Cheers.

or have them on a usb stick

ssabres;7787197

Splendid! I was starting to think the router was broke.Resetting and … Splendid! I was starting to think the router was broke.Resetting and reinstalling hardware worked. I knew it had worked when I heard whopping from the next room.It's a good idea to have your router settings written down somewhere.Cheers.

No problem
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best way to get to Alton towers from north west, or by train, coach etc11
    2. How to switch between open apps on an Android box22
    3. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…79
    4. How do you transfer files to an Android device over wifi?57

See more discussions