Groups

Anyone been to Dubai AND Rio de Janeiro

Im after someone who has been to both places ideally so they can give opinions on which they think is better.

I would love to go to both but realistically we could only do 1 of them.

Doesn't have to be child friendly as when we go it would just be me and DH.

32 Comments

Banned

Dubia

DH?

Da Husband?

Dubai is lovely but a but soulless, very good hotels,restaurants,beeches and shopping its alll pristine and modern but has little character i can't help but imagine that Rio is the opposite
    that said i loved it
    n

dubia = George Bush?

Original Poster

ok ok lol I was typing quick!! Sorted though.
    DH = Dear Husband ( not that dear though )

Thank you ejmna, I have heard some good things of both. Would love to do both, but seems a little selfish considering kids would love florida 1 year.

depends what you want from your holiday I guess.... I would choose Rio over Dubai any day, but that's my preference. The idea of 6* hotels and complete lack of soul freaks me out. I'd rather some good, local food, friendly locals and a family run B&B any day :P

Original Poster

zannaz82

depends what you want from your holiday I guess.... I would choose Rio … depends what you want from your holiday I guess.... I would choose Rio over Dubai any day, but that's my preference. The idea of 6* hotels and complete lack of soul freaks me out. I'd rather some good, local food, friendly locals and a family run B&B any day :P

I wasn't aware of the lack of soul over in Dubai, But I have always wanted to go and rent a place on the palmtree and just see the sights.
    Where as I love happy cheerful places, which Rio seems to have on offer.
    I have googled as much as I can and both are still in favour. Saying that after hearing about the lack of Soul in Dubai I may have to think again.

Banned

beth3735

I wasn't aware of the lack of soul over in Dubai, But I have always … I wasn't aware of the lack of soul over in Dubai, But I have always wanted to go and rent a place on the palmtree and just see the sights.Where as I love happy cheerful places, which Rio seems to have on offer. I have googled as much as I can and both are still in favour. Saying that after hearing about the lack of Soul in Dubai I may have to think again.

I've got a lack of soul, but you like me.

Original Poster

vibeone

Maybe Lack of soul but still entertaining to read sometimes lol

Rio = highest murder / kidnap rate / violence (maybe) in the world

Dubai = strictest police (maybe) in the world

Original Poster

effingandjeffing

Rio = highest murder / kidnap rate / violence (maybe) in the worldDubai = … Rio = highest murder / kidnap rate / violence (maybe) in the worldDubai = strictest police (maybe) in the world

oO none of that came up in google for Rio, but then again I was just googling Rio as a holiday place.
    I knew about Dubai being very strict as my father in law works out there. Unfortunatly he doesnt have his own home out there as it would be a cheap holiday then! Fingers crossed we wouldn't do anything to break their law.

Banned

one of the few places in the world that doesnt interest me dubai.....terrible record for human rights

go rio every time.....stay away from the UAE in my opinion

not just as a drug user either ha.....incidently someone was jailed for 4 years for finding a speck of cannabis on the sole of their shoe 0.003g

I'm sure i read South Africa was the number one murder spot.

Original Poster

casparwhite

one of the few places in the world that doesnt interest me … one of the few places in the world that doesnt interest me dubai.....terrible record for human rightsgo rio every time.....stay away from the UAE in my opinionnot just as a drug user either ha.....incidently someone was jailed for 4 years for finding a speck of cannabis on the sole of their shoe 0.003g

I think I am swaying more for Rio, even though so much more costly. I think it would be best for a beach relaxing holiday that I would want with some sightseeing. Dubai is still a want, May have to wait years and years for that one though.

Bully

I'm sure i read South Africa was the number one murder spot.

I thought you were going to say number one holiday spot.

I wouldn't go either of them places, give me a day in Blackpool anyday

Rio IS dodgy safety wise - certainly not wise to carry smart phones/wear smart watches/jewellery/cameras in public (even be VERY careful in the main tourist topspots such as Corcovado etc) and I would advise ladies NOT to carry a handbag of ANY sort!!

Lovely city, beautiful people, (physically too - wow!) relatively cheap city-wise (certainly in comparison to Dubai) but there is a MASSIVE cultural divide and some incredible poverty which makes tourist fair game despite police efforts (brutality!) to try to prevent this becoming too much of an issue.

Personally a few days in EITHER city would be more than enough for me - if I was to go back to Rio it would be in conjunction say with Iguacu Falls or the Amazon, and Dubai IMHO is fab for a few night before or after anywhere else in eastern Asia/Australasia

Do I read correctly that you were planning on taking ankle-biters with you ??? Unless you have beach-babes then they will possibly find Dubai a little sterile & I would think that Rio is a heck of a long way to go for a beach/city hol with kids.........

sorry, just my opinion

Original Poster

LoveHearts

I wouldn't go either of them places, give me a day in Blackpool anyday

been there twice, thats enough for me! Love weymouth though!!

vibeone

that's different, a place can't do favours(_;)

Original Poster

TAH-M

Rio IS dodgy safety wise - certainly not wise to carry smart phones/wear … Rio IS dodgy safety wise - certainly not wise to carry smart phones/wear smart watches/jewellery/cameras in public (even be VERY careful in the main tourist topspots such as Corcovado etc) and I would advise ladies NOT to carry a handbag of ANY sort!!Lovely city, beautiful people, (physically too - wow!) relatively cheap city-wise (certainly in comparison to Dubai) but there is a MASSIVE cultural divide and some incredible poverty which makes tourist fair game despite police efforts (brutality!) to try to prevent this becoming too much of an issue.Personally a few days in EITHER city would be more than enough for me - if I was to go back to Rio it would be in conjunction say with Iguacu Falls or the Amazon, and Dubai IMHO is fab for a few night before or after anywhere else in eastern Asia/AustralasiaDo I read correctly that you were planning on taking ankle-biters with you ??? Unless you have beach-babes then they will possibly find Dubai a little sterile & I would think that Rio is a heck of a long way to go for a beach/city hol with kids.........sorry, just my opinion

Thank you for your advice. No wouldn't have any kids with us. Its not somewhere I would want to take them tbh.
    I think we will have to look properly at what would be best. Can see us picking somewhere completly different, with the risk of drug issues and dangers in Rio

Banned

beth3735

been there twice, thats enough for me! Love weymouth though!!

+1

I dunno why people go abroad. I'd much rather flounce camply around Cornwall, Weymouth, Bournemouth at a push or Woolacombe.

Banned

However much I'd like to visit Dubai for the architecture, I refuse on the grounds it has been built by slave labour under appalling conditions and they also have ridiculously oppressive laws.

Original Poster

Love some parts of cornwall too. Kids were happy with UK hols, took them away this year abroad and eldest (nearly 8 ) says she wants to go back to UK next year! Poor thing is outnumbered though lol
    Edited by: "beth3735" 7th Jun 2011

Never been to Rio but have been going to Dubai for the last 10 years and absolutely love it

Banned

master_chief

However much I'd like to visit Dubai for the architecture, I refuse on … However much I'd like to visit Dubai for the architecture, I refuse on the grounds it has been built by slave labour under appalling conditions and they also have ridiculously oppressive laws.

Yet you probably still own an iPhone and shop at dealextreme.

Banned

Adnan786

Yet you probably still own an iPhone and shop at dealextreme.

And yet you have no idea.

dubai is a really not as good as its hyped up to be - main bugbear being that it doesnt boast any culture at all- just a load of tall bling-y buildings and loads of shopping malls to boot. im sure with rio you'd get a taste of the culture, and a wider experience of the people and the place as a whole.

master_chief

And yet you have no idea.

Are you claiming you have a better idea after your original statement? Lol, your's is the most stupid (not totally true) statement that I have read today!

OP: Although I have never been to Dubai my parents regurlarly stop off on either an outward/inward journey and have done so for years. They have always enjoyed their visits and shopping there, just a few days/nights is the norm for many people I know that have visited. Although it can be expensive in nicer 5/6star hotels and if shopping is your thing then extra cash is a must!

My partner's brother has visited Rio De Janeiro and stayed there for a while. His advice is to remain cautious for a variety of reasons already stated; purely for them reasons I would choose Dubai, which is already on my tick list!

Good luck either way...

Banned

Someone bene swallowing the Dubai tourist book I think...

master_chief

Someone bene swallowing the Dubai tourist book I think...

Untrue and unlike yourself who has obviously swallowed a bull, hence the bulltalk!

Banned

What was the issue again Nash? There isn't any perceived form of slavery going on in Dubai?

Original Poster

We have decided it will more than likely be Rio. Just need to do the saving now.
    Thank you all x

I've just returned from 9 months of backpacking and Rio was our first stop. The city itself isn't all that attractive with run-down pavements etc. However the views from Christ the Redeemer over Guanabara Bay were absolutely stunning - I have never felt so overwhelmed by a view before, I even got a bit emotional (yes that's sad lol!)! So I would say that it is worth going to Rio just for that alone. We also hang-glided over the city which was phenomenal! Copacabana beach also gives great views, unfortunately the weather was rubbsish!

I've never been to Dubai so I can't give a comparison but I have heard about how strict it is and also that it's just like a big building site.

Nothing dodgy happened to us (we did get robbed at gun point in BA though!) but my cousin was mugged in Rio so it's definitely sensible to take precautions and I would say that a few days are sufficient. Although we were in a hostel, it may be different if you are going to stay in a big resort.

Hope that helps a bit!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …99190
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846286
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?30119
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764508

See more discussions