Expired

Anyone bought a property recently?

Found 7th Jun
We are in the process of buying a house and I am going through all the documentation that the solicitors has given me to complete.

There is a client questionnaire that I have been asked to complete which asks a lot of questions, one of which is that I have to list all the properties we own either in the UK or abroad, with their dates of purchase.

This is the first time that I have been asked to list properties owned with their purchase date when buying a property. Anyone else also asked this question when they buy a property?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The last time I purchased property was when my Top Hat landed on Mayfair.
After that, I was told to go to jail, don't pass Go and definitely don't collect £200.
This might sound radical but have you thought about asking your solicitor why they need this information? Just a thought.
Breaking news:

Property Magnate seeks advice on HUKD.
35 Comments
I think this is to check if you are a first time buyer or you have already purchased properties before so that they can determine the correct stamp duty that you have to pay.
People having more than one properties have a different rate of stamp duty to pay.
That is what I think but I may be wrong.
Edited by: "mailtotahera" 7th Jun
mailtotahera3 m ago

I think this is to check if you are a first time buyer or you have already …I think this is to check if you are a first time buyer or you have already purchased properties before so that they can determine the correct stamp duty that you have to pay. People having more than one properties have a different rate of stamp duty to pay.That is what I think but I may be wrong.

they could just ask, do you already own a property in the UK or abroad rather than ask for all their addresses and why would they need to know the dates of purchase of each property?
mutley12 m ago

they could just ask, do you already own a property in the UK or abroad …they could just ask, do you already own a property in the UK or abroad rather than ask for all their addresses and why would they need to know the dates of purchase of each property?

Possibly Captial Gains Tax, Rental Incomme, SA Tax all for HMRC?
FreeDeal2 m ago

Possibly Captial Gains Tax, Rental Incomme, SA Tax all for HMRC?

it looks like a collection of data to be passed on to HMRC if they ask to this level of detail. just wondered if anyone else is asked this when buying a property? this must be something new as we have purchased properties before and have never had to list properties already owned.
mutley122 m ago

they could just ask, do you already own a property in the UK or abroad …they could just ask, do you already own a property in the UK or abroad rather than ask for all their addresses and why would they need to know the dates of purchase of each property?

They could just as but people lie.

Unlikely but maybe they are finally trying to catch up on all the people who don’t disclose all their income from properties.

There have been various changes to other property related processes. The main one being affordability.
The last time I purchased property was when my Top Hat landed on Mayfair.
After that, I was told to go to jail, don't pass Go and definitely don't collect £200.
This might sound radical but have you thought about asking your solicitor why they need this information? Just a thought.
craigstephens7 m ago

This might sound radical but have you thought about asking your solicitor …This might sound radical but have you thought about asking your solicitor why they need this information? Just a thought.

Probably too busy raiding picnics.
Oneday777 m ago

Probably too busy raiding picnics.

Or washing (or not) her flip flops.
craigstephens33 m ago

This might sound radical but have you thought about asking your solicitor …This might sound radical but have you thought about asking your solicitor why they need this information? Just a thought.

i want to know if anyone else has been asked this question on purchase of a property, not why they have been asked as they seem to be new questions so i would like to know if anyone else has come across this.
We were not asked this
Edited by: "tregs" 7th Jun
I'm assuming this has something to do with the new stamp duty rules on second properties. Does seem a bit excessive though
mutley12 h, 8 m ago

i want to know if anyone else has been asked this question on purchase of …i want to know if anyone else has been asked this question on purchase of a property, not why they have been asked as they seem to be new questions so i would like to know if anyone else has come across this.

The inference from other comments is they have not been asked this question. Further more they also imply reasons why they may be new.
The last I checked expanded information on a topic made for a good discussion.
Now if you’d maybe asked in the ASK section, you may have got answers.
mutley12 h, 29 m ago

i want to know if anyone else has been asked this question on purchase of …i want to know if anyone else has been asked this question on purchase of a property, not why they have been asked as they seem to be new questions so i would like to know if anyone else has come across this.

How is that going to help? So you don't care why you're being asked, you just want to know if other people have been asked? All your solicitor if he has asked other people.
mutley12 h, 58 m ago

hotukdeals.com/dis…031

hotukdeals.com/dis…149

hotukdeals.com/dis…325

I have this nagging doubt that the house might not be the right one for you. Do you think it may be better to stay at Chez Mutley?
craigstephens49 m ago

How is that going to help? So you don't care why you're being asked, you …How is that going to help? So you don't care why you're being asked, you just want to know if other people have been asked? All your solicitor if he has asked other people.

the answer to this question will not help at all. i just want to know if this is something new that everyone is asked, just wondering, my mind wonders.

the questions are asked for a reason, otherwise the solicitors would not ask them. they are undoubtedly asked to make sure people pay the extra stamp duty when they own more than one property and for money laundering checks.
I sold my own home and bought another in December and wasn't asked about other property. I think may have had to state that it was my main residence though.
r4rcm4 h, 16 m ago

I sold my own home and bought another in December and wasn't asked about …I sold my own home and bought another in December and wasn't asked about other property. I think may have had to state that it was my main residence though.

Thanks for the reply. I am just wondering if my solicitors is being overly invasive as they seem to want a lot of details. The questions are on a standard questionnaire, so I know I am not their only client that has been asked this, but I do wonder if other solicitors ask so many questions.
Most people only buy a few houses throughout their lifetime and probably never via the same solicitor. If it’s the same solicitor you usually use then he knows you’re a serial property investor and just gave the form out to you automatically. Don’t bother filling it out, wait until he asks for it back and then ask what it’s for.
I always use the same solicitor, and I’m on their Xmas card list, but I haven’t seen such a client questionnaire.
It might be for their own internal use so that if they run different seminars, buying property, will writing, divorce clinics etc they can target you accordingly?
Toptrumpet8 m ago

Most people only buy a few houses throughout their lifetime and probably …Most people only buy a few houses throughout their lifetime and probably never via the same solicitor. If it’s the same solicitor you usually use then he knows you’re a serial property investor and just gave the form out to you automatically. Don’t bother filling it out, wait until he asks for it back and then ask what it’s for.I always use the same solicitor, and I’m on their Xmas card list, but I haven’t seen such a client questionnaire. It might be for their own internal use so that if they run different seminars, buying property, will writing, divorce clinics etc they can target you accordingly?

They have asked for it to be signed and returned to them as it is part of their engagement letter. You may be right, that it is mainly for information gathering so that they can seek to offer you other services. They also ask whether we would like advice on setting up a will on the same form.

They have also sent me a letter about the extra stamp duty explaining how strict hmrc are about investigating people who do not pay enough stamp duty, so it is probably part of the checks they have to do to stop people avoiding the extra stamp duty, not just for now, but also for future reference.
Oneday7714 h, 12 m ago

The inference from other comments is they have not been asked this …The inference from other comments is they have not been asked this question. Further more they also imply reasons why they may be new. The last I checked expanded information on a topic made for a good discussion. Now if you’d maybe asked in the ASK section, you may have got answers.

??? This is in ask
Breaking news:

Property Magnate seeks advice on HUKD.
Just wait until they then send a letter out to you saying:
Dear Mr & Mrs Mutley,
Ask yourself, are you happily married or found yourself thinking about how happier you would be if you were free of the constraints of marriage?
Are you yearning for those salad days of sexual and financial freedom?
Then we can help ......
psychobitchfromhell22 m ago

??? This is in ask

I stand corrected. I forgot the Ask, format had been changed, so it looked like Misc to me.
deeky9 m ago

Breaking news:Property Magnate seeks advice on HUKD.

News Update:
Forum members can now nominate name changes.
Anyone second my nomination to put Dastardly up for “Humblebrag”?
Oneday776 m ago

News Update:Forum members can now nominate name changes. Anyone second my …News Update:Forum members can now nominate name changes. Anyone second my nomination to put Dastardly up for “Humblebrag”?

That's much more reader-friendly than any of my suggestions.
I'm more curious how you decide which pair of socks to wear or do you ask HUKD first?

How did you ever survive before this website?

Does everything have to be asked here before you make a decision...
deeky4 m ago

That's much more reader-friendly than any of my suggestions.

If only you could have read my mind last night. All I could think of was instaban material.
Oneday774 m ago

If only you could have read my mind last night. All I could think of was …If only you could have read my mind last night. All I could think of was instaban material.

My suicide post is already composed and sitting in my documents folder
sammy1258th Jun

I'm more curious how you decide which pair of socks to wear or do you ask …I'm more curious how you decide which pair of socks to wear or do you ask HUKD first?How did you ever survive before this website? Does everything have to be asked here before you make a decision...

Pretty much. I am indecisive. I am fine with socks as my socks are all the same, its jeans, jackets, coats, trainers, handbags, back packs, jewellery, scarfs, gloves that I struggle with as I have several of them and they all look different!
mutley11 h, 30 m ago

Pretty much. I am indecisive. I am fine with socks as my socks are all the …Pretty much. I am indecisive. I am fine with socks as my socks are all the same, its jeans, jackets, coats, trainers, handbags, back packs, jewellery, scarfs, gloves that I struggle with as I have several of them and they all look different!

Let her sort her own stuff out then.
New stamp duty law to see if its an additional property to yourselves
@mutley1 Did you ever find out the reason?
Just in the process of buying another property and wondered if I’ll get the same questionnaire to complete and return.
Saturn7th Jun

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/extra-stamp-duty-2950031https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/hanging-washing-out-2950149https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/anyone-bought-a-property-recently-2951325I have this nagging doubt that the house might not be the right one for you. Do you think it may be better to stay at Chez Mutley?

Stop that immediately you're giving us a bad name.

"One might think these are the same people because they have the same manners & modus."
Yes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants