Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Anyone boycotting the Premier League when it resumes?

Posted 9th Apr
I’m heavily considering boycotting the Premier League. The way they, the players and the PFA have acted and their recklessness towards the non-playing staff and lockdown regulations has been despicable, like some kind of Animal Farm “some people are more equal than others” “one rule for thee but not for me” type of thing. It’s not been like this in other leagues like in Spain and Italy where the virus has hit hard.

The only team in the Premier League surprisingly with any shred of credibility out of the situation surprisingly is Manchester City. Just want to read what you guys are doing with your subscriptions and “supporting”.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
MonkeyMan9009/04/2020 17:50

If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in …If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in your veins. And for as long as my team are existent I will support them. Not only that what about Southampton who have all deffered their wages. Why do footballers always get ridiculed. Why aren't politicians taking a pay cut? What about f1 drivers? Baseball stars? Nfl? It's always footballers that everyone just expects them to not take a wage or have a pay cut.

Maybe they just have a lot more humanity and compassion above and beyond watching grown men chase a ball around the grass?
If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in your veins. And for as long as my team are existent I will support them. Not only that what about Southampton who have all deffered their wages. Why do footballers always get ridiculed. Why aren't politicians taking a pay cut? What about f1 drivers? Baseball stars? Nfl? It's always footballers that everyone just expects them to not take a wage or have a pay cut.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 9th Apr
People say things like this all the time. Boycott this, boycott that. Won't shop there anymore (sports direct etc). Give it a couple of months and everything will be forgotten. Always happens.

If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in …If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in your veins. And for as long as my team are existent I will support them.

Maybe it’s a good thing I don’t treat football like a glorified religion
16 Comments
If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in your veins. And for as long as my team are existent I will support them. Not only that what about Southampton who have all deffered their wages. Why do footballers always get ridiculed. Why aren't politicians taking a pay cut? What about f1 drivers? Baseball stars? Nfl? It's always footballers that everyone just expects them to not take a wage or have a pay cut.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 9th Apr
Not a fan anyway, but yes doesn’t sit comfortably, along with the furlough disgrace.

If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in …If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in your veins. And for as long as my team are existent I will support them. Not only that what about Southampton who have all deffered their wages. Why do footballers always get ridiculed. Why aren't politicians taking a pay cut? What about f1 drivers? Baseball stars? Nfl? It's always footballers that everyone just expects them to not take a wage or have a pay cut.

Maybe they just have a lot more humanity and compassion above and beyond watching grown men chase a ball around the grass?
Besides Spurs and Newcastle I don't know much about what most clubs are doing but I don't think many others have furloughed staff have they?

I do know that Arsenal are paying their staff in full, pretty sure Man Utd are too.
People say things like this all the time. Boycott this, boycott that. Won't shop there anymore (sports direct etc). Give it a couple of months and everything will be forgotten. Always happens.
Meathotukdeals09/04/2020 17:57

Maybe they just have a lot more humanity and compassion above and beyond …Maybe they just have a lot more humanity and compassion above and beyond watching grown men chase a ball around the grass?

You obviously don't realise how many millions footballers give to charity. A lot of them give a % of their wage to charities. Yet people like you come along who just assume they're all selfish and just run around a field once a week for loads of money.

If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in …If you're boycotting it then you ain't a football fan. Football runs in your veins. And for as long as my team are existent I will support them.

Maybe it’s a good thing I don’t treat football like a glorified religion
Frankie7709/04/2020 17:58

Give it a couple of months and everything will be forgotten. Always …Give it a couple of months and everything will be forgotten. Always happens.

Unfortunately. Remember the Gillette advert in January last year and how everyone and their dog was proclaiming their boycott of Gillette and Procter & Gamble products?
The premiership players have put their selfs in bad light by not taking pay cuts weeks ago unlike Spain Italy and Germany. Some German players are even working in shops and doing deliveries
The idea of boycotting the Premier League when it returns is a little laughable. All of us fans will have been so starved of football and so in need of something to take our minds off the Coronavirus crisis that we’ll be lapping up any football we can. I’d think perhaps that anyone who was thinking of boycotting football over the present situation probably wasn’t that much a fan of the game in the first place.
"any shred of credibility out of the situation surprisingly is Manchester City." why?

Chelsea were the first team to offer any help to the NHS, they have also teamed up with Charity REFUGE and have now announced they are feeding the NHS staff at another restaurant, Chelsea just dont bang on about it to get some attention.
Edited by: "R1DDS" 9th Apr
The thing is, the media can put any spin on any situation and choose what you see.

mobile.twitter.com/has…ick

That link shows what players are actually trying to achieve. Not everyone is out for themselves
Haircut_10009/04/2020 18:09

The idea of boycotting the Premier League when it returns is a little …The idea of boycotting the Premier League when it returns is a little laughable. All of us fans will have been so starved of football and so in need of something to take our minds off the Coronavirus crisis that we’ll be lapping up any football we can. I’d think perhaps that anyone who was thinking of boycotting football over the present situation probably wasn’t that much a fan of the game in the first place.

You’d be surprised at what people remember when it comes to actions during a crisis.

Also, I am (about to be “was”) a die hard football fan, had Sky Sports and BT Sport for years, and always bought the latest PES (because I became aware of the microtransaction and lootbox pack bolox EA does every year with FIFA since FIFA 16). I always booked days and weeks off work for big football matches. I specifically used my Now TV Sky Sports Passes for the Premier League, but now I have no idea what to do with the remaining ones I have (probably use them for the Darts (because Formula One sucks and the Golf is too elitist)). Now I’ll watch the European Leagues far more often instead, swapping Sky Sports to Premier Sports for La Liga and keeping BT Sports for Serie A and the Bundesliga.
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 9th Apr
Boycotting the premier league when you talk about subscription sums it up you are not a supporter you are a subscriber, you can not be a supporter and not regularly attend games !

My club which I support by watching live every week have done the following
called up every vulnerable supporter on the database to see if they can help
the players using their own cars have delivered food parcels and food to the food bank
the club using its own money has pledged that all employees including casual match day staff will not be out pocket and will be paid.
the club has made its space available for rough sleepers to be somewhere safe and not on top of each other.
one of our players has donated all of his BTL’s available free to NHS staff.
sew10909/04/2020 18:31

Boycotting the premier league when you talk about subscription sums it up …Boycotting the premier league when you talk about subscription sums it up you are not a supporter you are a subscriber, you can not be a supporter and not regularly attend games !My club which I support by watching live every week have done the following called up every vulnerable supporter on the database to see if they can helpthe players using their own cars have delivered food parcels and food to the food bankthe club using its own money has pledged that all employees including casual match day staff will not be out pocket and will be paid.the club has made its space available for rough sleepers to be somewhere safe and not on top of each other.one of our players has donated all of his BTL’s available free to NHS staff.

“My club” which club?
Harry Maguire has asked United players to take a 30 percent pay cut

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Discussions