Anyone cancelled Virgin media recentley - inside contract?

Found 25th Jun 2011
Took out virgin media 3 month back, just got their basic TV, phone line, internet.

Regret it now, all i want is ESPN - can get this on topuptv

on some offer they did, cant remember details but anyway, long story short, its costing me £60 a month with ESPN

Hardly use house phone - don't need it
TV - basically freeview

All I want is ESPN and Internet,

They dont want to downgrade me to just internet, because ive signed up on their 'deal'

anyone cancelled their DD at bank? I'm not paying their contract buy out fee... I can deal with a few 'you owe.... £.......' letters.... but don't want any bailiffs or anything

31 Comments

so you want to get out of a contract that you agreed to.....

I think there is no way out and you will have to pay what you agreed to..

You signed a contract.
Tough titties unless you want to pay yourself out of the contract.

Banned

Lesson of the day - don't sign contracts if you don't want to be tied into one.

By the way, if you cancel the DD and default on your account it will have a knock on effect on your credit rating and not just letters in the post but Virgin Media have been known to send debt collection agencies after people so it really would be bad idea to just cancel the DD.

Original Poster

Don't care about my credit rating my mortgage is paid off

I'm quite thick when it comes to stuff like this/spending money

Banned

Obviously

You need to pay your way out the contract. Or be declared bankrupt

icecreamwoman

Don't care about my credit rating my mortgage is paid offI'm quite thick … Don't care about my credit rating my mortgage is paid offI'm quite thick when it comes to stuff like this/spending money

Will you want a new mobile phone when your contract has expired?
Will you want a new broadband service when your contract has expired?
Will you want to get a new credit card or increased limit at any stage in the next 3/5 years?
Will you want...loads of things come on a contract which you need a credit report for.
It's very short sighted of you to think a credit rating will only affect a mortgage application.

Original Poster

sickly sweet

Will you want a new mobile phone when your contract has expired?Will you … Will you want a new mobile phone when your contract has expired?Will you want a new broadband service when your contract has expired?Will you want to get a new credit card or increased limit at any stage in the next 3/5 years?Will you want...loads of things come on a contract which you need a credit report for.It's very short sighted of you to think a credit rating will only affect a mortgage application.

no

icecreamwoman

I'm quite thick

Corrected that for you.

UNLESS! if there is a way to cancel the contract because they changed their line rental? for the house phone....
I've not read the T&C but that might be the only way.... possibly...
Edited by: "5nowman" 25th Jun 2011

5nowman

UNLESS! if there is a way to cancel the contract because they changed … UNLESS! if there is a way to cancel the contract because they changed their line rental? for the house phone....I've not read the T&C but that might be the only way....

I dont know the ins and outs of a virgin media contract but IF the line rental is a get out, based on what the OP pays the % increase isnt enough to use it as an excuse.

true, depends what the contract says. I'm happy with them. it's a tricky one, good luck. let us know how you get along.
Edited by: "5nowman" 25th Jun 2011

how about remove everything except XL tv, which you get free ESPN with that package and pay about £30 a month or maybe even less

Edited by: "garbage456" 25th Jun 2011

sickly sweet

You signed a contract.Tough titties unless you want to pay yourself out … You signed a contract.Tough titties unless you want to pay yourself out of the contract.

Sickly!!! oO

cancelled ,my vm 9monrh 10mbit recently no probs

Banned

Yes but paid them for it schizo

Banned

What broadband speed are you getting?

Have you tried telling them that you are moving to a non virgin media area?

Banned

Also, since you dont seem to care about much, have you tried faking your death?

Original Poster

schizoboy

cancelled ,my vm 9monrh 10mbit recently no probs

Thats the kind of answer I wanted

Thankyou

Place just gets worse, lol you all get wound up so easily... Do-gooding-uptight-tight-fisted-web-freaks

icecreamwoman

Thats the kind of answer I wantedThankyouPlace just gets worse, lol you … Thats the kind of answer I wantedThankyouPlace just gets worse, lol you all get wound up so easily... Do-gooding-uptight-tight-fisted-web-freaks

lol at tight fisted when you would rather screw up your credit history rather than pay to end the contract.

Banned

icecreamwoman

Thats the kind of answer I wantedThankyouPlace just gets worse, lol you … Thats the kind of answer I wantedThankyouPlace just gets worse, lol you all get wound up so easily... Do-gooding-uptight-tight-fisted-web-freaks

well at least we aren't trying to con anyone
lol @ saying thats the type of answer you wanted, good luck when you ring to cancel and they refuse, would love to hear your argument why they should 'but but a random person on the internet told me he had'

Banned

This little guide by virgin may prove a vital liitle resource for you over the coming months OP.

http://www.virginmedia.com

HTH

lol what a guide! make the tv into a footwear!
I couldn't think of any more ways to cancel the contract. Might be an idea to phone and just speak to VM.

lottysdad08

This little guide by virgin may prove a vital liitle resource for you … This little guide by virgin may prove a vital liitle resource for you over the coming months OP./Volumes/DATAhttp://www.virginmedia.comHTH

Banned

£60 per month! They saw you coming mate - that basic pack should be around £25 per month!

You can cancel due to the recent increase in line rental charges, if you read the bottom of the email which is letting you know about the increase at the bottom it states you have 30 days to reject the increase and disconnect your services, I called them the other day about it and they agreed, but then after a bit of negotiation put me on a better deal to stay with them even though I am still in contract

cosmicdav3

You can cancel due to the recent increase in line rental charges, if you … You can cancel due to the recent increase in line rental charges, if you read the bottom of the email which is letting you know about the increase at the bottom it states you have 30 days to reject the increase and disconnect your services, I called them the other day about it and they agreed, but then after a bit of negotiation put me on a better deal to stay with them even though I am still in contract

Nice one, I haven't received that email yet myself bit I have 2/3 month left on my contract and tempted to give retentions a call to see if they can bring my cost down a bit. Guess I will wait till I receive the above email.

Original Poster

when did they increase the line rental?

Original Poster

so can I cancel based on this increase then?

Banned

icecreamwoman

so can I cancel based on this increase then?

so I take it you didnt even bother to read the links I posted above. I dont know why I bother sometimes!

Do you get spoon fed by someone else at dinner time too?

Banned

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/lamphat430x300.jpg
And yes mod i have the permission of the person above to reproduce their picture, Honest
Edited by: "lottysdad08" 26th Jun 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text