Anyone catered for 20 people, family

Found 26th Jun
Family coming over at New Year, unsure of the best way to cater...Cook, M&S, Waitrose, Local Curry house, Wing Yip...etc
anyone already done this successfully?
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Takeaway! lol just joking
Kfc bargain bucket
deleted1315437
Poundland!
Always just made a couple of slow cookers full of curry.
Done it loads of time, depends on what you want to eat. Normal buffet type stuff always goes down well Sandwich or cooked ham and buns, salad, pan of curry or chilli and some type of cakes. Bags of Costco prawns and piece of smoked salmon, or the individual cakes they do are easy to open and put out. Really depends on what you want to do and how much time you want to spend on the kitchen.

paper plates and throw away platters make tidying up easy.
Edited by: "eslick" 26th Jun
20 people, I would go with two batches of Jailhouse Chilli, one veggie and the other made with frozen leftovers from a rib of beef & steak mince.
Plenty of rice, tortillas, grated cheese and greek yoghurt to accompany.

Followed up with a couple of large cakes from Costco.
DKLS28 s ago

20 people, I would go with two batches of Jailhouse Chilli, one veggie and …20 people, I would go with two batches of Jailhouse Chilli, one veggie and the other made with frozen leftovers from a rib of beef & steak mince.Plenty of rice, tortillas, grated cheese and greek yoghurt to accompany.Followed up with a couple of large cakes from Costco.

Jailhouse Chilli? educate me pls.
I regularly cook for 30+ plus but that's Indian food so probably no use to you. For 20 i wouldn't even think if ordering out but our food is very different to yours. Good luck with it though its lovely when family get together i hope you all have loads of fun.
adhkarzf10 m ago

I regularly cook for 30+ plus but that's Indian food so probably no use to …I regularly cook for 30+ plus but that's Indian food so probably no use to you. For 20 i wouldn't even think if ordering out but our food is very different to yours. Good luck with it though its lovely when family get together i hope you all have loads of fun.

Out of curiosity What uwould you make for a curry?
20 people for new year. Your brave.
What time is the meal.? Will they be expecting a roast dinner or more of a buffet later on in the day?
Dannyrobbo41 m ago

Out of curiosity What uwould you make for a curry?

Butter chicken as its easy and everyone loves it. But I'd be making a lamb biryani, meat curry, a veg dish. Indian sweet dish, mango lassi, probably cheesecake for dessert. Starters would be tandoori chicken and kebabs also poppadoms. (Thats a normal weekend get together for us )
Am I not invited this year? If so just buy me a MD's
Big pot of chilli, jacket potatoes and dishes of salad, grated cheese, coleslaw, baked beans rice and garlic bread. Just put them all on the table with plates and let them help themselves. Easy
Edited by: "barriey" 26th Jun
MonkeysUncle1 h, 56 m ago

20 people for new year. Your brave.What time is the meal.? Will they be …20 people for new year. Your brave.What time is the meal.? Will they be expecting a roast dinner or more of a buffet later on in the day?

I am considering buffet dinner only.
If you can't be bothered making stuff morrisons do quite good buffet food.
It all depends on the people coming. What do they like? If you are having 20 at New Year I guess you’ll have a reasonable idea.

Takeaway and disposable plates is always an easy stress free way to do it. Though if it’s the grand parents and other aunties and uncles, an Indian may not go down well. If it would phone in advance and ask for a deal. 20 people is probably 12-15 mains and sides. A welcome make for any shop.

If you need to cook. A big joint of beef, pork etc. Cool the day before, carve and reheat with gravy next day. Not fancy but normally works.

What ever you do don’t try fancy and miss the meal.
Iceland does nice buffet foodz get nice joint, plenty of beer
we do this every year. Everything can be cooked in advance

Chilli
Large Gammon that you carve before the meal
Other casserole (pork is pretty easy). Do it in a slow cooker.
Backed pots/Rice

Jelly
Trifle
Cheese
(If you are a Costco member - Profiterols)

If they want more, they can bring it themselves
Defo go down the buffet route. There is bound to be something even the pickiest eater will enjoy. You've got six months so I'd start now. The freezer is your friend. Tesco is good for frozen party food so just pick a few bits up each time you shop. All you need to do then is get a bit of cheese and some coleslaw, a few baguettes and salad a day or two before and you've got it sorted.
Cook for 20-30 every Boxing Day. I start shopping September/October time. While I am doing my normal shop I look out for other stuff on offer that would be suitable for a buffet. Some of the things I do are gammon joints, home made pizzas using finger rolls cut in half, make your own mini burgers with a choice of toppings, pulled pork done in the slow cooker, chicken skewers using fruit and veg, baby potatoes (when cooked mix with garlic butter and pre-cooked red onion and bacon). I also have a look at the party food in the shops and it gives me ideas for making my own versions. Generally will work out a lot cheaper and you will have a lot more of the finished product.
davewave26th Jun

Jailhouse Chilli? educate me pls.

For 6-8 people I use: ( so double the ingredients and a bit more)

2 large onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 tbs olive oil
3 tbs chili powder
5 red jalapeños, finely chopped
1kg minced beef, don't get the Ultra lean stuff
1kg cubed beef, any of the cheap cuts are good such as stewing steak, shin or flank, basically any cheap cuts of beef, but as its for new years, I would do rib of beef for xmas day and freeze the leftovers.
6 rashers streaky bacon, diced and fried
2 tbs ground cumin
2 tbs oregano
1 tbs cayenne
1 tbs turmeric
Good pinch of black pepper
2 x bay leaf
500ml dark beer
500ml beef stock
Glass of red wine
2 x can chopped tomatoes
1 x can of Baked beans or Kidney beans if the idea of baked beans is a step too far
2 tsp garlic salt

Cook as you would any chilli, but 10mins before serving add in a couple of squares of dark chocolate.

Despite having some very fussy guests over the years, this one hasn't failed to satisfy them.
Cooking for 20 people is standard fare for Asian folks

What you need to know Dave?
2 large joints of pork shoulder, slow roasted all day, fresh rolls, bung in some sausages if you want, slow caramelised onions, stuffing, great pulled pork with minimum time, effort and money. Bbq sauce on the side. Usually do some big bowls of mixed salad and a cheeseboard aswell. All good unless you’re all vegetarian, if so then I have no idea I’m afraid.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants