Expired

Anyone coated a kitchen appliance with fablon?

Found 13th Feb 2014
I have a large chest freezer that works great but has rust on the bottom. I was hoping to sand this off and re-enamel the entire front.

Then I discovered fablon and was wondering if anyone has any experience of using it on household appliances and whether it looks good once completed.

Thanks

6 Comments

chocci

I have a large chest freezer that works great but has rust on the bottom. … I have a large chest freezer that works great but has rust on the bottom. I was hoping to sand this off and re-enamel the entire front.Then I discovered fablon and was wondering if anyone has any experience of using it on household appliances and whether it looks good once completed.Thanks

hi I did it years ago in green marble fablon sanded rust down to metal, cleaned it and stuck it down lsted me 15 years and now my neighbour has it and still has it on well worth it xxx

Original Poster

elephant5charlie

hi I did it years ago in green marble fablon sanded rust down to metal, … hi I did it years ago in green marble fablon sanded rust down to metal, cleaned it and stuck it down lsted me 15 years and now my neighbour has it and still has it on well worth it xxx

Sounds great. Just decorated the whole room and this is the only eyesore left so will give it a go as it is very cheap

thanks

Original Poster

Terrabytes

Soaking in black treacle (blackstrap molasses) works as a chelating agent … Soaking in black treacle (blackstrap molasses) works as a chelating agent to remove rust as an alternative to sanding.

Will give that a whirl as have some in my cupboard

Good stuff. had old brown coated kitchen cupboards yrs ago. used fablon on them. What a difference. wipes clean.

Original Poster

Jumpingphil

This can be painted straight onto rust.

thanks but paint will never get the same finish as fablon

Somehow, I think you'll make a hash of it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions