Anyone do there own car servicing?

25 replies
Found 28th Aug 2009
Suspect a few people on here will do. Just wondering wheres a decent place to buy the parts ie Oil FIlter, Spark plugs, air filter etc etc

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
25 Comments

Euro car parts? For plugs and leads etc it's often cheaper on ebay.

Yeah i do....go on the net and type your car make model and servicing DIY guide and you'll save money...i have

all you need is the correct tools

Shengis;6143971

Euro car parts? For plugs and leads etc it's often cheaper on ebay.

+1 I was going to suggest Euro car parts, or GSF if you have one of the brands they cater for

What car are you servicing?

Original Poster

smithyp1;6143994

What car are you servicing?

Citroen Xsara 2001 - Easy? Ive never attempted it before....

Not Halfords.

Go to an different motorfactors, GSW etc.

lanc_red;6144008

I have no idea mate, never done a service.

I only asked due to if it was a newer car, ie 1 or 2 years old, the technology and management system on cars these days means that they need to be hooked up to laptops etc to get the latest software, updates etc etc.

Being a 2001 model though, i doubt it would matter.

lanc_red;6144008

GSF for you then, check on the website, gives you a price list.

lanc_red;6144008

Burn it :lol:

Original Poster

peodude;6144023

Not Halfords.

yeh i needed some bulbs asa a few weeks ago & paid a nice price of £15 for two. robbin gets.

Also check on Citroen forums, they will list what the service at 8 years will include.

Shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself, depends how competent you are and what tools you have.

Original Poster

Shengis;6144043

Burn it :lol:

having had a new alternator lat week and now in dire need of a service, this option is still on my list!!

Original Poster

cheers for the replies, will get some more research done & get cracking

lanc_red;6144064

having had a new alternator lat week and now in dire need of a service, … having had a new alternator lat week and now in dire need of a service, this option is still on my list!!

Is it the car or picasso version? This may come in handy if its the car as you can't get manuals : service.citroen.com/pag…jsp

I serviced my other half's Citroen C3 a couple of months ago and it wasn't too bad.

I did an oil and air filter change and found that Euro Car Parts were the cheapest and delivered next day also!
Next week I'll be changing the brakes all round and may look for some on ebay as I've yet to find a deal on a complete set for her motor.

Original Poster

Shengis;6144109

Is it the car or picasso version? This may come in handy if its the car … Is it the car or picasso version? This may come in handy if its the car as you can't get manuals : http://service.citroen.com/pages/login2.jsp

been looking for this manual.....+1 for you

Get a K&N airfilter, never needs changing.

You may find this site useful:

]http//ww…=16

DKLS;6144160

Get a K&N airfilter, never needs changing.

It does need cleaning still though but worth the investment!

I have a Xsara Picasso, so try GSF

Not everything my OH does though, got Kwik Fit to do my oil change, far too messy

A bit more time to talk now. I meant GSF by the way earlier.

I do my own servicing, but let Kwik Fit do an oil change at £29, so by the time i buy the oil and filter etc. It's cheaper and easier to let them do it.

Original Poster

peodude;6144193

A bit more time to talk now. I meant GSF by the way earlier.I do my own … A bit more time to talk now. I meant GSF by the way earlier.I do my own servicing, but let Kwik Fit do an oil change at £29, so by the time i buy the oil and filter etc. It's cheaper and easier to let them do it.

ive just been advised this by one of lads who i work with. the rest he said u can do yourself with a little bit of time a patience....

I wouldn't let KwikFit near my bike, let alone my car..

Inactive;6144543

I wouldn't let KwikFit near my bike, let alone my car..

My car has just been to Mazda, for a wheel bearing, they said i needed new back brakes and a shock absorber was leaking. A few days later, without doing anything to it, i took it to the oil change at Kwik Fit, they checked it over, and all they picked up on was a tyre that was wearing on the shoulder, which i already knew about.

Shock absorbers and brakes are right in Kwik Fit territory if they needed doing. Yet they said nothing.

peodude;6144796

Yet they said nothing.

Is that a recommendation or a criticism :lol: Probably didn't want the work.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247671
    2. Netflix - UHD - £3/m33
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769609
    4. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!1115

See more discussions