Groups

anyone else annoyed by the new pound coin release?

Sounds trivial but I'm going to have an upset boy on my hands when I have to smash open his dream pot style money box. He has had it since his christening and he loves it. anyone else annoyed for whatever reason with the new £1 coin?

48 Comments

No, not at all

No, why should we be?

The new 12-sided £1 coin will enter circulation on 28 March, the government has said.
    The round £1 will be legal tender alongside the new, more-secure coin until 15 October.
    The public is being urged to use their current £1 coins or bank them before they lose their legal tender status.
    The government estimates around a third of the £1.3 billion worth of coins stored in piggy banks or saving jars around the UK are the current £1 style.
    Edited by: "archer1204" 1st Jan

First world problem. Happy new year!

Surfguy

lol

Ha ha first world problems

Original Poster

Urgh soooorrrrrrryyyyyy

Long as it's not the plastic stupid fiver. Shouldn't be a problem. Banks will take old coins before march. And he could buy himself a new trendy saving box.

I'm sure you could probably just break a little bit on a bottom and glue it back together rather than completely smash it?

I would imagine he will be a very excited boy at the prospect of splashing the cash!

Original Poster

Yes it will all be fine and not the end of the world at all. I do realise that. Was just mildly annoyed and posted. Silly me

Smash it open.
    Use funds to buy booze.
    Break New Years' Resolution in under 12 hours.
    Then tell Junior that sibling/partner/dog broke it.

dorey69

Long as it's not the plastic stupid fiver. Shouldn't be a problem. Banks … Long as it's not the plastic stupid fiver. Shouldn't be a problem. Banks will take old coins before march. And he could buy himself a new trendy saving box.

upto october 15th so plenty of time
    Edited by: "archer1204" 1st Jan

I have a bunch of £1 coins sitting at home abroad in NZ, not a huge amount perhaps £40, but when I head off in a couple days I don't plan on returning until next xmas.. I wonder what I am to do with those, I don't believe currency exchange places usually accept coins? I'll have to check but I remember that being something true in UK.

It's all Monopoly money

No ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cooliomoolio

I have a bunch of £1 coins sitting at home abroad in NZ, not a huge … I have a bunch of £1 coins sitting at home abroad in NZ, not a huge amount perhaps £40, but when I head off in a couple days I don't plan on returning until next xmas.. I wonder what I am to do with those, I don't believe currency exchange places usually accept coins? I'll have to check but I remember that being something true in UK.

Could you not consider selling them on eBay? Not saying you're return would be great but better than nothing

cooliomoolio

I have a bunch of £1 coins sitting at home abroad in NZ, not a huge … I have a bunch of £1 coins sitting at home abroad in NZ, not a huge amount perhaps £40, but when I head off in a couple days I don't plan on returning until next xmas.. I wonder what I am to do with those, I don't believe currency exchange places usually accept coins? I'll have to check but I remember that being something true in UK.

Maybe a charity box would look after them for you

It's all because 1 in 10 pound coins now are fakes.

mattlloyd

Could you not consider selling them on eBay? Not saying you're return … Could you not consider selling them on eBay? Not saying you're return would be great but better than nothing

Would be fine if the cost for international post didn't cost more than the coin value!

..on a side note, did you know eBay is hardly used by anyone in NZ? In fact, there used to be an eBay NZ but they pulled it since no one was using it, they use a different site called trademe instead. eBay either want to be #1 in a country or not at all, they don't like being #2! Sure people still shop for things on eBay US/UK there but only for small lightweight items, mainly from China, where the postage costs is not extortionate and they aren't going to be hit by a customs fee when it arrives.

gadger100

I will check when back.. perhaps I will have 4 fakes in there (_;)

Surfguy

Maybe a charity box would look after them for you

Yup.. I think that may be the only way to go.

It is possible to retrieve the coins with minimal damage using a chop stick or knitting needle. Just ask my ex husbands children, who thought my sons money bank was also theirs...

So the royal mint changes a coin design, and you're "annoyed"? I think you need to get out more and maybe readjust your view of the world.

Original Poster

How high is your horse peeej1978?
    Edited by: "miducky" 1st Jan

cooliomoolio

sell them to a tourist on the cheap, who is heading back here

gadger100

The Royal Mint regularly conducts surveys to estimate the level of counterfeit £1 coins in the UK. A survey undertaken in May 2015 found that the rate of counterfeit UK £1 coins in circulation at the time was 2.55%, compared to 3.03% in May 2014.

I had one of those pot of dreams money boxes that you're supposed to smash when it's full but I liked it too much to smash it. I went and bought a set of ebauer tile drills from screwfix for £6 and chain drilled the bottom to make a slot for the coins to come out.

Well I wasn't until I realised I paid 29p for a trolley saver yesterday...

Original Poster

Oh yeah I got trolley tokens for me and hubs the other week from home bargains so that's 58p down the drain too. Ok I've gone from mildly annoyed to absolutely fuming now

Could be worse like India withdrawing that rupee note

miducky

How high is your horse peeej1978?

​How inane are your worries in life? lol

I'm still getting over the blooming 10 shilling Note withdrawel for gods sake! Now grow up oO

andynicol

Why do you have to smash it open?Isn't it the type of money box that … Why do you have to smash it open?Isn't it the type of money box that requires smashing open when its full?Changing a coin doesn't make you smash it open, just keep on filling until its full and then follow through with your original plan for it.

You did see the bit about the old pound coins will be invalid after 15th october

archer1204

You did see the bit about the old pound coins will be invalid after 15th … You did see the bit about the old pound coins will be invalid after 15th october

Yes, 3rd post

Possibly the 10 months remaining is enough for the OP to follow through there original plan, i.e. smash open when its full..?

Just another way to reduce the money in circulation of the working class

Bah, got a tin filled with change and notes.
    Will have to break into it before October.

Even though it won't be legal tender after that date you can still take it to the bank for exchange right?

cooliomoolio

​You can always exchange them at the Bank of England office even after deadline.

Surfguy

Dont think there are many people who live in the secound or third world on HUKD mate, so they are all first world problems.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. parquet floor sanded46
      2. Cheapest new phone line install existing customer23
      3. Which Pond Pump44
      4. No Dead Pixel Guarantee?11

See more discussions