Anyone else been down Woolworths today

...and, like me, walked away empty handed?

38 Comments

maybe you didn't need anything?

it was pretty rubbish tbh :-( hardly anything was 50% off

brought a few bits

cheerleader;3670221

it was pretty rubbish tbh :-( hardly anything was 50% off

same here.

I bought some kitchen stuff that was very cheap but other than that nothing really very good. Some prices seemed higher than yesterday tbh.

Yep.... was heaving.

Didn't see anything worth buying though ..... :santa:

i bought two gorgeous faux fur cushions reduced from £10 each to £4 each and a set of 100 christmas tree lights for £3. bargains!

Banned

high wycombe store was very busy ! but nothing i wanted really, cards were 50% off, the rest was better discounted with the 20% discount voucher last week

but there was bargains if it was what you were looking for x

Its that "UP TO" bit that catches most people out.
I havnt seen any deals in my local store yet..goin gto wait a little bit more before i part with my cash

starsparkle2311;3670400

yeh the signs are like this:[SIZE="7"][CENTER]50% OFF … yeh the signs are like this:[SIZE="7"][CENTER]50% OFF EVERYTHING[/CENTER][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]up to on selected items[/SIZE]

too true!:-D

going in on my way home from town to get a dvd that amazingly was already cheaper than anywhere else.

There's always a 1st time for everything

Original Poster

Jeezeypeeps;3670218

maybe you didn't need anything?

I'm a consumerist *****, I always need something. Just, trouble is, I'll only buy something that I don't have a burning need for if it's an especially good deal.

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;3670400

yeh the signs are like this:[SIZE="7"][CENTER]50% OFF … yeh the signs are like this:[SIZE="7"][CENTER]50% OFF EVERYTHING[/CENTER][/SIZE][SIZE="1"]up to on selected items[/SIZE]

Yeah - at my local branch, they'd put a couple of disclaimer signs up on the scanners at the entrance. I think one of the managers made it in Wordpad.

Me too! Very few items had 50% off and I took one look at the queue and decided to go home to nice warm cup of tea instead!!

Walked in and straight back out when I saw the queues going back all the way down to the end of the store!!

as I mentioned in another Woolies thread it was a trip from hell times infinity for me, managed to get a Vtech Kidizoom digital camera for £39.99 (20% off) and few other bits but the queues were like nothing I have every seen, 30 people in front of me with about 50 or so behind and that was just one of the 3 queues!!! They only had 2 staff on each set of tills and there were 5/6 available, maybe some staff decided not to come in, they might not get paid this month :w00t:

There were other things I would have liked to have looked at but you had to queue to get down each aisle as well.

I asked about refunds if you change your mind or it's faulty and the two cashiers said that my guess was as good as theirs, they have no idea if they might suddenly close and one said "to be honest I wouldn't buy anything expensive as even if it's faulty you might not be able to get a refund"

Everyone in store was talking about how they had heard on the TV and Radio that it was 50% off, no mention of the "up to" bit, think it was a plan to get people in and get rid of as much as possible before they go belly up.

I overheard two customers looking for a specific thing who said it had been marked up since last week and so the 20% off didn't take it down to what it was last week.

It was heaving, but tbh the only things that were marked at 50% were cr*p anyway - the sort of things you hope nobody buys you for xmas. The only decent things I saw at 50% off were the cards - but as the queues were enormous even a skinflint like me wasn't going to queue to save a few pence.

Christine

Banned

everydayisxmas;3671103

It was heaving, but tbh the only things that were marked at 50% were cr*p … It was heaving, but tbh the only things that were marked at 50% were cr*p anyway - the sort of things you hope nobody buys you for xmas. The only decent things I saw at 50% off were the cards - but as the queues were enormous even a skinflint like me wasn't going to queue to save a few pence.Christine

likewise 20% off DIY stuff was good like super glue and stuff but wasn't going to queue up for a few bits and pieces. 10% off entertainment was **** as it didn't even bring the prices in line with other high street prices :x

Banned

nice to see the vultures didnt get what they thought they would

dog_cop;3671290

am i missing something? we are on a deals site right?? :thinking:

dog_cop;3671290

:? we're helping them out by going into their stores & buying when we might not normally do! anything they sell even at a discount they are still making a profit on which could help them out :whistling:

Considering the amount of disappointed people on here saying that the deals were a bit lame Woolies must have had one of their best days ever today then.

All those daft people sucked in by the 50% off.....worked didn't it?

greg_68;3671982

Considering the amount of disappointed people on here saying that the … Considering the amount of disappointed people on here saying that the deals were a bit lame Woolies must have had one of their best days ever today then.All those daft people sucked in by the 50% off.....worked didn't it?

the cynic in me says what if it's one major publicity stunt and that they aren't going to close after all; Like the heinz fiasco and a few other I could care to mention.

all in all what publicity when times are hard for all retailers, this fictitious sale could be their saviour.

When are normal folk gonna realize that no matter what woolies call a sale they are still ripping people off with there scandalous prices.The shops a joke for the prices they charge on almost everything so no wonder they are going bust!

I managed to get a good deal yesterday. I got 3 of the Paint Your Own piggy banks for £4. They were reduced to £2 each but in the 3 for 2 offer. They were £6 each then reduced to £4 then to £2. I'm going to get the kids to paint them and then give them to relatives for Christmas.

We got a ladybird baby rocker for £7, similar to ones they're currently selling in Argos for £25. I was a very happy customer!

starsparkle2311;3670400

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/xcookx/Photo-0192.jpg

Like this one you mean? ;-)

I got some excellent priced baby toys today, I was really pleased that I decided to take the trip down there.

I had a look round the whole store and to be honest the best things were the money off the toys (mainly 20% but there was a few that was up to 50% off), cards (50% off any card) and the baby clothes.

waste of time.... big banners saying 50% off but very little was!! left empty handed!

I got some cheap wrapping paper and cards for next year and a gorgeous wool coat for my daughter was originally £32 (way over priced) but i paid £12 for. Thomas games for £3 something too.

Not really worth a special trip but i was in town anyway

I'll be calling in tomorrow, but I normally do every weekend when I go down the street to see if there are any DVD's that stick out.

Banned

xcookx;3675382

I'll be calling in tomorrow, but I normally do every weekend when I go … I'll be calling in tomorrow, but I normally do every weekend when I go down the street to see if there are any DVD's that stick out.

10% off the RRP, good luck with that

Well i think its sad to see one of the best known high street stores struggling like this, but surely they know there not doing themselves any favours with that 50% trick. Its the staff i feel for

my local one got closed down 4 times due to too many peopple in the store

I got a few little bits but spent under a tenner (And I visited 2 stores!)

There was a hand typed note on one of the security gates in one branch:

"Please note not all items are 50% off, only selected ones" :oops:

Original Poster

greg_68;3671982

Considering the amount of disappointed people on here saying that the … Considering the amount of disappointed people on here saying that the deals were a bit lame Woolies must have had one of their best days ever today then.All those daft people sucked in by the 50% off.....worked didn't it?

It's not so much a case of us being daft. I doubt any of us went down expecting miracles. For me, and probably the rest of us too, it was maybe a last oppertunity to shop at where we used to shop as kids, and the lure of maybe picking up some bargains was just a nice bonus. I didn't expect anything fantastic, but I did hope for a little luck. I didn't get any, but that's no problem. It didn't take a great deal of my time up, and I did bump into a mate who I've not seen in aaages, and that made the walk worth it.

Yay for taking chances, I say.

I went woolies today it was very packed an all I could see was 10% off like everything.

Banned

starsparkle2311;3679507

brilliant photo, tell me you didn't go down there just to take … brilliant photo, tell me you didn't go down there just to take it:w00t:lol, but yeh, slightly misleading signs aren't they?

Quick. Call trading standards... get the blagards closed down!

starsparkle2311;3679507

brilliant photo, tell me you didn't go down there just to take … brilliant photo, tell me you didn't go down there just to take it:w00t:lol, but yeh, slightly misleading signs aren't they? It'll be a shame to see it close, many a time I've went in there, just for something to do,lol:roll:

I was driving home yesterday, saw the signs, slammed the brakes on and took a photo

And I know what you mean by misleading. If you're not very well sighted, you won't see the 'up to' writing in the corner. Bit like me now, I couldn't even see the 50% sign I'm that drunk when I walked passed :oops:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764097
    2. How dangerous is Donald trump?810
    3. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam22
    4. GOT Leaks again715

See more discussions