Anyone else bored of video gaming

Found 21st Oct 2017
I have been a gamer for over 25 years now. From the SNES to PS1, N64, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3. Currently own a PS4 and I have only completed a handful of games since launch. Nowadays whenever I try to play something I get bored within an hour and do not touch it again. The prime example is shadow of war, I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor, purchased shadow of war at launch and started playing it last weekend. Within a few hours, I just could not be bothered with it. Everything just feels the same and there does not seem to be any game out there that I can fixate me. The last game I completed was the Witcher 3, which was over 2 years ago. I am in my 30s, am I just growing out of it.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
deleted265520
You joined today just to post this thread?

There was this guy on misc who would post a thread like this 3 or 4 times a year and eventually people got bored of his moaning and called him out. He rage quit. Is that person you?
yes, your in you 30s. Time to get a girlfriend & some sun on your back.
No, it's just you. You're an awful person
I gave up after the PS1 and having no thumbs i was crap at that
32289412-hmn9i.jpg
59 Comments
There's plenty of decent games out there.
I do agree that new types of games are no longer being made like they used to be in the years gone by.
Edited by: "zworld" 21st Oct 2017
I've been playing longer than you, your first problem is ps4. Get a console with proper games on it not movie wannabes.

Get a 3DS, get a PC, or even a Snes mini
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 21st Oct 2017
I used to love console games, I think I completed Final fantasy 7 fully about 3-4 times. I loved RPG games back in the days of Suikoden and Breath of Fire etc. Now I can't play any console game for more than an hour and that's pushing it. However I must of put 50+ hours into Zelda Breath of the Wild in a short space of time when I bought the Switch. I think the convenience of playing on a handheld got me fixed. It is an amazing game, for me though my console days are long gone. I still play games on my phone and the Switch but that's all.
deleted265520
You joined today just to post this thread?

There was this guy on misc who would post a thread like this 3 or 4 times a year and eventually people got bored of his moaning and called him out. He rage quit. Is that person you?
deleted265520
I've got a modded Wii for Gamecube and retro games on the big screen.

I've got a DS Lite for Gameboy Advance & DS games.

I've got a PSP for PS1, PSP & retro games in handheld mode.

I've got a Switch for both modern Nintendo games on the big screen & go.

Both the XB1 and PS4 bored me. Maybe you're playing the wrong systems if modern games aren't up your street.
DT8921st Oct 2017

I've got a modded Wii for Gamecube and retro games on the big screen.I've …I've got a modded Wii for Gamecube and retro games on the big screen.I've got a DS Lite for Gameboy Advance & DS games.I've got a PSP for PS1, PSP & retro games in handheld mode.I've got a Switch for both modern Nintendo games on the big screen & go.Both the XB1 and PS4 bored me. Maybe you're playing the wrong systems if modern games aren't up your street.

I don't really touch the xbox one either.

I think the issue is the death of the arcades, most titles are po faced clunky things trying to pretend to be films, only Nintendo and indie devs seem to make proper games anymore.
deleted265520
OldEnglish25 m ago

Nothing like a holiday in Benidorm and a tribal tattoo to suit.
No, it's just you. You're an awful person
People move on from things, that's life. Chasing your past joys and glories when your hearts not in it never turns out well.
Original Poster
OldEnglish1 h, 17 m ago

I am married mate, but that is for the offer.
Original Poster
DT8921st Oct 2017

You joined today just to post this thread?There was this guy on misc who …You joined today just to post this thread?There was this guy on misc who would post a thread like this 3 or 4 times a year and eventually people got bored of his moaning and called him out. He rage quit. Is that person you?

I have been a long time reader of the site. Never really felt like contributing until now. Know there are a few gamers on board and wondered if they are experiencing the same.
Original Poster
moshixmoshi21 m ago

People move on from things, that's life. Chasing your past joys and …People move on from things, that's life. Chasing your past joys and glories when your hearts not in it never turns out well.

Good point.
Original Poster
Some good points. Maybe I have the wrong console or maybe there there has not been anything revolutionary this gen. Johnny roller makes a good point, the late game I was attached to was the Witcher 3, I can see myself getting into the new Zelda. May pick up a switch. I can also use the console for nostalgia purposes.
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 59 m ago

I've been playing longer than you, your first problem is ps4. Get a …I've been playing longer than you, your first problem is ps4. Get a console with proper games on it not movie wannabes.Get a 3DS, get a PC, or even a Snes mini

I would say PS4 has great exclusives like horizon zero dawn, last of us, ect but horizon is top game in last decade for me
Oh, I agree with the PS4. Overhyped. Mine is just collecting dust. There are not many PS exclusives.
Original Poster
deleted5795921st Oct 2017

Midlife crisis mate, I know im there.. gaming isnt the problem its …Midlife crisis mate, I know im there.. gaming isnt the problem its you.Things that seemed important to you no longer do, your life feels unfulfilled and empty like something is missing, you crave the nostalgia of your teenage years, and you didnt do the things you expected to do by now.. you try different things to fill the void new hobbies, waste money on new endeavours, but they all peater off into something else thats boring and useless.Even this site was a temporary place for me to get some sort of enjoyment in life, but ultimately resulted in everything else as something pointless and meaningless.. Focus on your kids and your wife, get into what they like and help them fulfill their dreams and needs and it wont help but at least you doing more than sitting moaning about it, and maybe stop your kids gogin through the same thing in there mid life..Only came here because I was tagged in this thread, so for the record i found out what my problem was but never found a solution, I still game but rarely. I am looking forward to Mario next week but thats prob it for this year, and i get enjoyment from gaming with my kids.. Cuphead was fun with them recently.. but i enjoyed watching them play it as i was pretty bad at it.here is an example, moved house recently so put a load of effort into creating a gaming room for me and the kids..PS4 Pro, PSVR, XB1s, Switch, Wii U, Wii (hacked with every Wii & GC game), XB360, XB1, PS3, PS2, PS1, Raspberry Pi (with every emulator and Rom that matters), Steam Link as well as Sky, Netflix, Prime etc........ all connected to a Denon Dolby Atmos & 55" Samsung KS7000 with all lighting hooked up to Hue RGB Bulbs because having all of the best you can afford will mean ill play it right? [Image] [Image] I barely turn any consoles on and spend most of my spare time watching 80's re-runs on sky, Ive gotten into Matlock recently..

Wow, pretty much summed it up. I don't have kids yet, but maybe I need to evaluate my life more. I still enjoy my other hobbies i.e. playing and watching football, going to the gym and walks. It is gaming that is what I am bored of. But like you have said I am looking back at when I use to talk about games a lot with my peers and nowadays that is a rare occurrence because of work and family commitments. I have added alot of shows to my Netflix list. It is probably worth giving them a start.

Your gaming room looks impressive mate, perhaps in a decade or 2 I can do something similar with my kids if they are in to gaming.
I feel the same way, I'm similar age and have stopped playing, coming close to a year or gone over it, not kept count. I Watch series or movies if I have the time, on brighter side I'm applying for more jobs and doing other stuff that will be useful for me lol
Go and visit old games.
I completed HERETIC for DOS the other day. Before this, I played Burnout 3 Takedown on PS2 emulator and Alan Wake on PC.
Just find another hobby.

I suggest posting random questions on shopping forums, a few here love it.
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army21st Oct 2017

Concentrate on short games for now, games you know you will be able to …Concentrate on short games for now, games you know you will be able to complete...Extremely ShortRefunctDear EstherVery shortBrothers: Tale of Two SonsCastle of Illusion Starring Mickey MouseNo Time To ExplainNiGHTS into dreams...Portal: Still AliveContrastQuite shortDeadlightGoat SimulatorLifeless PlanetOutlastBraidShortMirror's EdgeSteamWorld DigCall of Juarez: GunslingerStuntman: IgnitionManageableMax: The Curse of BrotherhoodPortal 2Giana Sisters: Twisted DreamsThe Wolf Among Us

Need to add Firewatch
I'm definitely bored of gaming, the new games are rubbbish and having more storyline cut scenes....this aint a bloody movie.
Play some interesting games that have great characters/worlds or make you think rather than just whacking people on the head.
Try something new.

A few suggestions Divinity original sin, Bloodborne, Salt & sanctuary, Persona 5, This war of mine, Talos principle.

This year has been great for games but you need to look past the sequels.
I gave up after the PS1 and having no thumbs i was crap at that
32289412-hmn9i.jpg
deleted265520
BornByTheRiver3 h, 31 m ago

Your gaming room looks impressive mate, perhaps in a decade or 2 I can do …Your gaming room looks impressive mate, perhaps in a decade or 2 I can do something similar with my kids if they are in to gaming.

It looks like a standard front room to me.
Can't really see the gaming aspect other than a few consoles in that wooden unit.

Midlife crisis mate, I know im there.. gaming isnt the problem its …Midlife crisis mate, I know im there.. gaming isnt the problem its you.Things that seemed important to you no longer do, your life feels unfulfilled and empty like something is missing, you crave the nostalgia of your teenage years, and you didnt do the things you expected to do by now.. you try different things to fill the void new hobbies, waste money on new endeavours, but they all peater off into something else thats boring and useless.Even this site was a temporary place for me to get some sort of enjoyment in life, but ultimately resulted in everything else as something pointless and meaningless.. Focus on your kids and your wife, get into what they like and help them fulfill their dreams and needs and it wont help but at least you doing more than sitting moaning about it, and maybe stop your kids gogin through the same thing in there mid life..Only came here because I was tagged in this thread, so for the record i found out what my problem was but never found a solution, I still game but rarely. I am looking forward to Mario next week but thats prob it for this year, and i get enjoyment from gaming with my kids.. Cuphead was fun with them recently.. but i enjoyed watching them play it as i was pretty bad at it.here is an example, moved house recently so put a load of effort into creating a gaming room for me and the kids..PS4 Pro, PSVR, XB1s, Switch, Wii U, Wii (hacked with every Wii & GC game), XB360, XB1, PS3, PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, Raspberry Pi (with every emulator and Rom that matters), Steam Link as well as Sky, Netflix, Prime etc........ all connected to a Denon Dolby Atmos & 55" Samsung KS7000 with all lighting hooked up to Hue RGB Bulbs because having all of the best you can afford will mean ill play it right? [Image] [Image] I barely turn any consoles on and spend most of my spare time watching 80's re-runs on sky, Ive gotten into Matlock recently..

Depressingly similar to myself now. I can't play anything for more than an hour without getting bored. My home PC time is now mostly me doing work, or other little work type projects, my games room is now really an extra office.
deleted800342
Hello

..... here is an example, moved house recently so put a load of effort …..... here is an example, moved house recently so put a load of effort into creating a gaming room for me and the kids..PS4 Pro, PSVR, XB1s, Switch, Wii U, Wii (hacked with every Wii & GC game), XB360, XB1, PS3, PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, Raspberry Pi (with every emulator and Rom that matters), Steam Link as well as Sky, Netflix, Prime etc........ all connected to a Denon Dolby Atmos & 55" Samsung KS7000 with all lighting hooked up to Hue RGB Bulbs because having all of the best you can afford will mean ill play it right? [Image] [Image] I barely turn any consoles on and spend most of my spare time watching 80's re-runs on sky, Ive gotten into Matlock recently..

DT8921st Oct 2017

It looks like a standard front room to me.Can't really see the gaming …It looks like a standard front room to me.Can't really see the gaming aspect other than a few consoles in that wooden unit.

Recreating that retro artex ceiling look won't have been cheap. Not easy to find craftsmen with the requisite skills these days.
I felt a bit like you, then I got Player Unknowns Battlegrounds. I can't really explain how such a broken game is so good, but it is. best £20 i've spent in years.

Midlife crisis mate, I know im there.. gaming isnt the problem its …Midlife crisis mate, I know im there.. gaming isnt the problem its you.Things that seemed important to you no longer do, your life feels unfulfilled and empty like something is missing, you crave the nostalgia of your teenage years, and you didnt do the things you expected to do by now.. you try different things to fill the void new hobbies, waste money on new endeavours, but they all peater off into something else thats boring and useless.Even this site was a temporary place for me to get some sort of enjoyment in life, but ultimately resulted in everything else as something pointless and meaningless.. Focus on your kids and your wife, get into what they like and help them fulfill their dreams and needs and it wont help but at least you doing more than sitting moaning about it, and maybe stop your kids gogin through the same thing in there mid life..Only came here because I was tagged in this thread, so for the record i found out what my problem was but never found a solution, I still game but rarely. I am looking forward to Mario next week but thats prob it for this year, and i get enjoyment from gaming with my kids.. Cuphead was fun with them recently.. but i enjoyed watching them play it as i was pretty bad at it.here is an example, moved house recently so put a load of effort into creating a gaming room for me and the kids..PS4 Pro, PSVR, XB1s, Switch, Wii U, Wii (hacked with every Wii & GC game), XB360, XB1, PS3, PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, Raspberry Pi (with every emulator and Rom that matters), Steam Link as well as Sky, Netflix, Prime etc........ all connected to a Denon Dolby Atmos & 55" Samsung KS7000 with all lighting hooked up to Hue RGB Bulbs because having all of the best you can afford will mean ill play it right? [Image] [Image] I barely turn any consoles on and spend most of my spare time watching 80's re-runs on sky, Ive gotten into Matlock recently..

I found Nemo. That's one game done.
Sounds to me you haven’t moved with the times, I’m in my 40s, so have gamed way longer than you. Haven’t played a campaign in years, no matter the genre it’s just straight to online multiplayer and away you go. I couldnt play a story based game anymore
Literally just unpacked a Vive so no, will be playing Accounting later. Got tired of waiting for new headsets, 4k be will be awesome. Did just sell my Xbox one and switch though.

Maybe you are just paying the wrong games, tastes change.
Edited by: "catbeans" 22nd Oct 2017

You sound depressed to me
Well it is what it is I suggest switching either to coding, PC hardware modding or writing a book/blog. I like new experiences like VR and games with exploration parts but most games contain too much grinding
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 17 m ago

You sound depressed to me

People can be unhappy with their life without being depressed.
kester7623 m ago

Well it is what it is I suggest switching either to coding, PC hardware …Well it is what it is I suggest switching either to coding, PC hardware modding or writing a book/blog. I like new experiences like VR and games with exploration parts but most games contain too much grinding

I've started to learn coding now, also Spanish. Learning new things is kind of a hobby to me now since I finished my exams.
CoeK33 m ago

I've started to learn coding now, also Spanish. Learning new things is …I've started to learn coding now, also Spanish. Learning new things is kind of a hobby to me now since I finished my exams.

Congratulations on learning to code, it gives you a good insight into problem solving in multiple ways and is very rewarding. I need to learn french as I'm travelling there for the 1st time next year so should really knuckle down and get the basics of the language down. What computer language have you settle on learning 1st ?
kester769 m ago

Congratulations on learning to code, it gives you a good insight into …Congratulations on learning to code, it gives you a good insight into problem solving in multiple ways and is very rewarding. I need to learn french as I'm travelling there for the 1st time next year so should really knuckle down and get the basics of the language down. What computer language have you settle on learning 1st ?

Python, that was suggested to me as a good first language. Not long started.

I also use quite a lot of VBA for work, in excel.
CoeK51 m ago

People can be unhappy with their life without being depressed.

Lack of interest in hobbies is a sign,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants