Anyone else dislike windows 8

Found 3rd Jan
Hi, I have 2 laptops, Acer and Samsung, both running Windows 8, there both hopeless, they constantly hang up and refuse to do anything, In the end I have no choice but to do a full factory reset but within a week they are slow again. You click on a command and about 10 mins later it may respond if you are lucky. Is there an easy way to load something like Linux?, I am crap at computers so it would need to be easy to do.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Should upgrade to windows 10, much better than windows 8 (although not to everyone’s liking).

i would also suggest swapping the standard HDD with an SSD, totally transforms the machine for £80-100
deleted1597344
It’s all that Gearbest browsing you do causing your problems

Windows 8 is probably the worst Windows going, do yourself a favour and upgrade to 10. The free accessibility upgrade ended on the 31st December apparently, but it may be worth ago following the links to see if the window is still open. microsoft.com/en-…ade
Original Poster
deleted15973443rd Jan

It’s all that Gearbest browsing you do causing your problems Windows 8 i …It’s all that Gearbest browsing you do causing your problems Windows 8 is probably the worst Windows going, do yourself a favour and upgrade to 10. The free accessibility upgrade ended on the 31st December apparently, but it may be worth ago following the links to see if the window is still open. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Wish they would work enough to even browse the internet, both laptops are as bad as each other, recovering them both again now and 4 hours later there still less than 50%, as soon as they complete the recovery will have a try at the 10 upgrade, but looks like I have missed the dead line.
deleted1597344
If that does not work and you want a free upgrade, albeit maybe not totally legit way it is easy to achieve ... Google is the answer my friend.
Have you done the 8.1 upgrade?
mds12562 h, 41 m ago

Should upgrade to windows 10, much better than windows 8 (although not to …Should upgrade to windows 10, much better than windows 8 (although not to everyone’s liking).i would also suggest swapping the standard HDD with an SSD, totally transforms the machine for £80-100

As above
SOUTHWALES12 h, 1 m ago

You click on a command and about 10 mins later it may respond if you are …You click on a command and about 10 mins later it may respond if you are lucky.

Have you checked task manager to see if something is maxing out your CPU?, or you can install "Process Explorer" which is even better.

Have you checked event viewer?

If you really have a problem you cant solve you should do a clean install, reset/refresh are nowhere near as good, in fact I would go as far as saying they are pants.

I'm running 8.1 on a Atom system and it's flawless.

Having said that I would take XP over any of the new windows
Edited by: "4Real2016" 4th Jan
None of your problems are anything to do with Windows 8, except perhaps indirectly (e.g. they don't have enough space for it).

How much RAM and storage do those laptops have?
Run malware bytes ccleaner etc and update to Windows 10 should be good then and free
Original Poster
deleted15973443rd Jan

It’s all that Gearbest browsing you do causing your problems Windows 8 i …It’s all that Gearbest browsing you do causing your problems Windows 8 is probably the worst Windows going, do yourself a favour and upgrade to 10. The free accessibility upgrade ended on the 31st December apparently, but it may be worth ago following the links to see if the window is still open. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Thank you, Microsoft have extended the offer, giving it a try now.
nothing to do with windows 8. my lenovo was purchased with windows 8.1 and ran perfectly. extremely fast laptop. i got upgraded to windows 10 automatically and still extremely fast laptop.

i think the problem is your laptop. my husband's laptop is an older one on windows 7 and it runs like a snail. even if it got upgraded to windows 10, i doubt it would run any faster, if anything, i expect it will run slower as i assume windows 10 need more powerful laptops than windows 7.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions