Anyone else facing a 50% increase from Virgin Mobile- if so what can we do

Found 24th May
Hi i took out a deal last october for 4g of data, 1500 mins and u/l texts with Virgin for £4 a month. this was on a rolling 30 day contract. I've just received an email saying they are increasing the cost by 50% to £6.

My understanding of the contracts were that it could increase the contract price in line with RPI (3/3%) once a year in July. On the basis of this it seems unfair. They offer the option to eave penalty free but i think they are deliberatley doing this to lose these customers on a good deal. Anyone know any way we can force them not to increase the cost by this much and for e not to be forced to ditch the contract or suck up and accept the increase?
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
It's £2, suck it up.
Call 789 & ask them,is it rpi 3.3% or £2 ?
They told me 3.3% but email saying £2 increase.will wait & see
You are right about the reason and it’s why they run the promotion, it’s good for their bottom line and some people won’t cancel it either because it’s atill a good “deal”. Virgin media do this all the time to their broadband and tv customers too so it obviously works. The will probably do the same in subsequent years too.
Exact same situation, tbh I see it as another opportunity for me to negotiate a deal. I'm pretty good at getting deals out of VM if I do say so myself so I'll see what happens. Just don't know if I should try today or wait until the last month (June) to run through before calling them.
BadMF5 h, 23 m ago

It's £2, suck it up.

You can look at it like that but the point is that they have advertised the ir price increases are going to be fixed at RPI (3.3%) and they have increased it by way over this. I'm asking legally whether it can do this.

What would you say if instead of paying £30 for your Sky Tv contract it took £32 out of your account. Would you still say its £2 suck it up? or would you challenge it?
I’d expect them to increase the price after six to eight months. So yes, I’d suck it up.
Really BadMF so if you're contract for anything was £30 and it went to £45 (same percentage increase) you'd suck it up. Somehow I doubt it. The fact it is £2 is a red herring it is the percentage increase it is applying.
Edited by: "Cheapasnowt" 24th May
The RPI thing is the maximum price rise for a longer term telecoms contract, anything above and you can cancel the contract within 30 days without the usual cancellation charges.

If you can cancel within 30 days for free then that's not applicable here. There's nothing that says a company has to keep providing you their services at the price you've paid in the past if you're free to leave and sign up with an alternative.

You could potentially get the advertising standards agency to look into it if you think this is an introductory rate that's not being advertised as such which might get Virgin a fine and result in clearer advertising for future offers. I doubt it'll change the price increase on your current contract though.
Cheapasnowt1 h, 50 m ago

Really BadMF so if you're contract for anything was £30 and it went to £45 …Really BadMF so if you're contract for anything was £30 and it went to £45 (same percentage increase) you'd suck it up. Somehow I doubt it. The fact it is £2 is a red herring it is the percentage increase it is applying.

If I was happy with the service and it was value for money, ie; couldn't get better/same cheaper elsewhere. Then you've two options, go without, or suck it up.

So you've two options, pay the extra. Or, here's an idea.. Take your money elsewhere.
They've done the same to me I'm not pleased they're using under hand tactics bloody virgin
Mine is even worse I took the deal last August for 1gb data, 1000mins and unlimited texts for 4 pounds with a year contract. Just received email telling me it will be increased to 6 pouns starting from 2nd July. You know what, they are doing 2gb ones on their website for 5 pounds now. Byebye then virgin.
Cheapasnowt16 h, 4 m ago

Really BadMF so if you're contract for anything was £30 and it went to £45 …Really BadMF so if you're contract for anything was £30 and it went to £45 (same percentage increase) you'd suck it up. Somehow I doubt it. The fact it is £2 is a red herring it is the percentage increase it is applying.

It’s not really the same though, if my provider did this I know I could move elsewhere and get a better deal (which is why it would make no business sense). However in virgins position it knows there’s nothing close so they are just twisting your balls because they know there isn’t much you can do about it.
I have the £4 sim only deal and received a letter outlaying the £2 increase.

Just been on the phone to customer services and they said that the letter was system generated. Instead, it will only increase by 3.3% and therefore cost £4.13 per month from July.

Made sure this was written in my notes just in case.
Liastro13 m ago

I have the £4 sim only deal and received a letter outlaying the £2 i …I have the £4 sim only deal and received a letter outlaying the £2 increase.Just been on the phone to customer services and they said that the letter was system generated. Instead, it will only increase by 3.3% and therefore cost £4.13 per month from July. Made sure this was written in my notes just in case.

No need for it to be written in notes OFCOM would be all over this if they broke the terms.
Liastro10 h, 8 m ago

I have the £4 sim only deal and received a letter outlaying the £2 i …I have the £4 sim only deal and received a letter outlaying the £2 increase.Just been on the phone to customer services and they said that the letter was system generated. Instead, it will only increase by 3.3% and therefore cost £4.13 per month from July. Made sure this was written in my notes just in case.

This is from Virgins forum:

Thanks for getting in touch via the Community Forum. I'm sorry that you have been given incorrect information when you rang us for verification of the price change notification.

The email sent to you contains the correct information. If you are on a low monthly recurring charge, you will be changed to the £6 monthly tariff with the price increase on the 2nd of July.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team
£6 is still pretty good value
Edited by: "darksideby182" 27th May
Just had 3 emails from Virgin

All 3 contracts going up!!

£13.50 to £20
£13.50 to £20
£6.00 to £9.50

£33 a month to £49.50

Virgin no longer offer any loyalty discounts and you can no longer have 30day rolling contracts.

12 months and their set price only.

Quite happy to let me go, so they obviously have too many customers!!!
Tommy_K1 h, 10 m ago

Just had 3 emails from VirginAll 3 contracts going up!!£13.50 to …Just had 3 emails from VirginAll 3 contracts going up!!£13.50 to £20£13.50 to £20£6.00 to £9.50£33 a month to £49.50Virgin no longer offer any loyalty discounts and you can no longer have 30day rolling contracts.12 months and their set price only.Quite happy to let me go, so they obviously have too many customers!!!

Don't say it too loud BadMF will simply say you should suck it up and accept it. I contacted the chief executive over the issue. Got some codswallop that the RPI increases don't apply to all of their accounts and gracefully if not happy i could leave penalty free (by giving 30 days notice). As the contract is a rolling 30 days- guess what if i wanted to leave on my account i could do so giving 30 days notice, So its actions have offered me nothing at all whilst discriminating against 30 day rolling account holders.
Cheapasnowt1 h, 55 m ago

Don't say it too loud BadMF will simply say you should suck it up and …Don't say it too loud BadMF will simply say you should suck it up and accept it. I contacted the chief executive over the issue. Got some codswallop that the RPI increases don't apply to all of their accounts and gracefully if not happy i could leave penalty free (by giving 30 days notice). As the contract is a rolling 30 days- guess what if i wanted to leave on my account i could do so giving 30 days notice, So its actions have offered me nothing at all whilst discriminating against 30 day rolling account holders.

Well I felt really sorry for the poor lady on retention's.

Been with a Virgin mobile since 2012 with 5 mobiles. She could probably see I've never called up with any complaints, I just pay the bills and accept the odd small price rise.

She said, if there was anything that could be done, she would do it but they have been told, what ever the letter says is our new contract amount but she could move us all over to one of the current tariffs.

Virgin will never do individual discounts or special offers per person, its now 1 set price for new and old.

If you don't like the price or think you can get cheaper, then move!
Cheapasnowt30th May

Don't say it too loud BadMF will simply say you should suck it up and …Don't say it too loud BadMF will simply say you should suck it up and accept it. I contacted the chief executive over the issue. Got some codswallop that the RPI increases don't apply to all of their accounts and gracefully if not happy i could leave penalty free (by giving 30 days notice). As the contract is a rolling 30 days- guess what if i wanted to leave on my account i could do so giving 30 days notice, So its actions have offered me nothing at all whilst discriminating against 30 day rolling account holders.

£2 suck it up!
zenwon16 m ago

£2 suck it up!

No need to suck it up- got them to waive this on the contract.
Edited by: "Cheapasnowt" 17th Jun
Cheapasnowt58 m ago

No need to suck it up- got them to waive this on the contract.

It’s been 15 days since I escalated to the CEO team had two email replies asking me for letters from my password and last bill, they were stupid to say my bill was incorrect as the new one had been generated on that day, I couldn’t see it but they could. Since then only the auto messages. Giving them to the end of the week and it’s off to OFCOM. T&Cs clearly state it’s RPI only.
eslick13 m ago

It’s been 15 days since I escalated to the CEO team had two email replies a …It’s been 15 days since I escalated to the CEO team had two email replies asking me for letters from my password and last bill, they were stupid to say my bill was incorrect as the new one had been generated on that day, I couldn’t see it but they could. Since then only the auto messages. Giving them to the end of the week and it’s off to OFCOM. T&Cs clearly state it’s RPI only.

I raised it with them- got a deadlock letter from them saying they weren't going to do anything and i could take to an ADR if unsatisfied. However retentions have put a credit on my account to counteract the increase. so it will continue to be £4 for 6 months.
Cheapasnowt17 h, 13 m ago

I raised it with them- got a deadlock letter from them saying they weren't …I raised it with them- got a deadlock letter from them saying they weren't going to do anything and i could take to an ADR if unsatisfied. However retentions have put a credit on my account to counteract the increase. so it will continue to be £4 for 6 months.

Been reading up on taking them to ofcom, you have to give them 8 weeks to reply unbelievable. Our contract states RPI increase and we have 4 sims and one of them a tenner one so will be fighting this one all the way
Edited by: "eslick" 18th Jun
eslick48 m ago

Been reading up on taking them to ofcom, you have to give them 8 weeks to …Been reading up on taking them to ofcom, you have to give them 8 weeks to reply unbelievable. Our contract states RPI increase and we have 4 sims and one of them a tenner one so will be fighting this one all the way

have got a final response letter from them. they don't seem to understand having a 30 day rolling contract means we can give notice at any time giving 30 days notice. So they have done nothing extra in telling us we can leave now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants