Anyone else had their mobile data blocked by Giff Gaff?

Found 17th Feb 2012
I got a message on Moday stating 'This is notification that data usage on your giffgaff SIM is in apparent breach of our Abuse policy and we have now barred your handset from all GPRS/MMS data services' and when I contacted them they said I was cut off for tethering.

I have never used my phone as a dongle but do stream a lot of netflix & internet radio on my phione while in work. I'm still without mobile data and waiting for a response from Giff Gaff.

Anyone else had the same problem and managed to get it turned back on?
Community Updates
34 Comments
Nope, only reason I'm on giffgaff is for the data allowance (I don't tether neither). But just looking on giffgaffs forum found this.
"IE. The people in this 1% are downloading files, either tethered or transferred off their mobiles later, or streaming video from their mobile phones to TV’s, downloading everything that’s on iTunes, to listen to on other devices outside of their mobiles or anything else you can think off, that basically means that the use was either never intended for use on a mobile or only partly (as examples: downloading of more music than could ever realistically fit on your phone, or a need to download and watch HD quality movies on a mobile device or stream video content for more than 8 hours a day are all either not intended for mobile use or can be considered a highly unlikely usage pattern)."community.giffgaff.com/t5/…075

Appendix 1:
Our proposed T’s&C’s:

5.13. In addition to our standard terms and conditions, all usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.

By purchasing a ‘goodybag’ you are agreeing that you are using your giffgaff SIM card in a mobile telephone handset, which must have the capability to make voice and texts on our mobile network, and that all data usage will be exclusively for and on this device - with no connection of any kind to any other device.

You may not use your SIM Card;

a) fraudulently;

b) in such a way that we believe adversely impacts the service to other giffgaff customers;

c) for excessive amounts of streaming or downloading;

d) for peer-to-peer activity

e) to connect to any device other than your mobile handset. For example you cannot connect to TVs or computers via dongles, wirelessly or in any way (unless you are on a gigabag plan).

We reserve the right to bar your SIM, reduce your data speed or remove your goodybag if we believe you are breaking this clause or if we believe your usage and data speeds exceed what is possible for mobile internet use specifically on a mobile handset.

Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 17th Feb 2012
Did you receive any messages about excessive use?

I remember reading something on The Register about Giff Gaff threatening to disconnect people but I thought they would give you some notice..

Only my second month with Giff Gaff by the way, took 1.5 days to activate SIM, wouldn't let me buy Goddy Bag when the first one expired, I've been recommending them to colleagues and family before I even had my SIM
Original Poster Banned
I just got told 'data usage on your giffgaff SIM is in apparent breach of our Abuse policy' in an email then they barred my internet connection and when I questioned it they said it was because of tethering which I have never done.

I have told them that I have only used internet on the phone and not for any other purpose 2 days ago but I am still waiting for them to get back to me.

I recommended it to friends in the past but never again. To cut off a customer without contacting them to discuss it is shocking and the customer service is shoddy
Out of interest, how much data are you using per month?.
Original Poster Banned
gavjbrown

Out of interest, how much data are you using per month?.

About 20 gb
Banned
Paddy Charlie

About 20 gb

I believe that may be the reason!

There is no such thing as unlimited. Only fools and dishonest ISPs will tell you otherwise.

I doubt they will reverse their decision if you are doing 20GB per month and it's very likely to be having an adverse affect on other users who are sharing your bandwidth. (did you see what I did thar!) X)
Lol 20gb dude...
Original Poster Banned
But they say its 'truely unlimited' and other providers such as 3 provide unlimited which hasn't got any cap. They don't give any indication of what is deemed too much data use and have told me the reason for barring my mobile data was because I was tethering nothing about excessive use.

Also see the goodybag T&Cs taken from the website:

11. In addition to our standard terms and conditions, all usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
a) In, or connected to, any other device including modems, dongles or any other way to connect to a PC;
b) fraudulently;
c) in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other giffgaff customers.
d) goodybags which include unlimited data browsing, allow continuous streaming of audio/video content.

Original Poster Banned
DudeyGeeza

Lol 20gb dude...

Lol I get bored in work and stream netflix, youtube or internest radio most of the day (_;)
Blimey, 20Gb. Is it any wonder?

I doubt even average desktop browsing hits that much.

as examples: downloading of more music than could ever realistically fit … as examples: downloading of more music than could ever realistically fit on your phone, or a need to download and watch HD quality movies on a mobile device or stream video content for more than 8 hours a day are all either not intended for mobile use or can be considered a highly unlikely usage pattern

Think it says it there m8?
Edited by: "DudeyGeeza" 17th Feb 2012
Original Poster Banned
Its not as much as 8 hours a day that I stream probably 6 at the very most so its still below that.

If Giff Gaff had came out and said that the limit was X amount of Gb a month I wouldn't mind but to cut me off with no discussion and no guidline to say how many Gbs is too much while still trying to maintain that their service is truely unlimited I find it a bit rubbish
Paddy Charlie

Its not as much as 8 hours a day that I stream probably 6 at the very … Its not as much as 8 hours a day that I stream probably 6 at the very most so its still below that.If Giff Gaff had came out and said that the limit was X amount of Gb a month I wouldn't mind but to cut me off with no discussion and no guidline to say how many Gbs is too much while still trying to maintain that their service is truely unlimited I find it a bit rubbish

Any chance of a job at your place?.
do work at work, problem solved

i've never heard of anyone using 20gb of mobile data per month, your job must be really important
Haha Paddy wtf do you do for a living I work from home for a company and get an hour to do as I please. You watching paint dry?
Banned
Paddy Charlie

Its not as much as 8 hours a day that I stream probably 6 at the very … Its not as much as 8 hours a day that I stream probably 6 at the very most so its still below that.If Giff Gaff had came out and said that the limit was X amount of Gb a month I wouldn't mind but to cut me off with no discussion and no guidline to say how many Gbs is too much while still trying to maintain that their service is truely unlimited I find it a bit rubbish

The same applies to all ISPs who use the term "Unlimited". That said, if your using the service to the extent you are, I didn't think you really can complain too much!
Whilst I agree it's shoddy service, I find 20GB to be a bit excessive.
My mate downloads stuff illegally on his PC, and doesn't even do 20GB in a month.
Original Poster Banned
Is still get through a lot of work it's mainly just something to listen to, and I know I stream netflix but I get bored of radio so put on netflix and just listen as I work.

And I'm a Road Designer so not scratching my ass all day
Paddy Charlie

Is still get through a lot of work it's mainly just something to listen … Is still get through a lot of work it's mainly just something to listen to, and I know I stream netflix but I get bored of radio so put on netflix and just listen as I work.And I'm a Road Designer so not scratching my ass all day

Was there some kinda pun there

Straight or with a bend?

Original Poster Banned
thesaint

Whilst I agree it's shoddy service, I find 20GB to be a bit excessive.My … Whilst I agree it's shoddy service, I find 20GB to be a bit excessive.My mate downloads stuff illegally on his PC, and doesn't even do 20GB in a month.

If 20Gb is too much thats fine but they should come out and tell users what the limit is for either daily, weekly or monthly use. And at least give a warning to users who use too much and not disconnect them straight away without any discussion
guv

I believe that may be the reason!There is no such thing as unlimited. … I believe that may be the reason!There is no such thing as unlimited. Only fools and dishonest ISPs will tell you otherwise.I doubt they will reverse their decision if you are doing 20GB per month and it's very likely to be having an adverse affect on other users who are sharing your bandwidth. (did you see what I did thar!) X)

There is, 3 data plan is unlimited, and so is the new tmobile one.
Original Poster Banned
greenmachine12

There is, 3 data plan is unlimited, and so is the new tmobile one.

I spotted that and I think I'm going to switch over unless Giff Gaff come up with some guidelines or even if they have a completely unlimited offer which costs more than they charge now
Balls to the giffgaff problem, I'm more interested in (1) What a road designer does.
(2) The saint has friends
Paddy_o_furniture

Balls to the giffgaff problem, I'm more interested in (1) What a road … Balls to the giffgaff problem, I'm more interested in (1) What a road designer does. (2) The saint has friends

It's probably a fair bet that he means "mate" in the "I've a mate who has an **** leakage issue" sense of the word.
Banned
thesaint

Whilst I agree it's shoddy service, I find 20GB to be a bit excessive.My … Whilst I agree it's shoddy service, I find 20GB to be a bit excessive.My mate downloads stuff illegally on his PC, and doesn't even do 20GB in a month.

Paddy_o_furniture

Balls to the giffgaff problem, I'm more interested in (1) What a road … Balls to the giffgaff problem, I'm more interested in (1) What a road designer does. (2) The saint has friends

If they did that, then that's admitting it's not unlimited.

He doesn't. It's code for what he does. It's a trick he learnt from Gerbil.
Get another Sim from them under your gf/wife/partner/mates name and do it again & again
Oh ur a road "designer"

So are u the one that's watching the one who's watching the one who's watching the one watching the guy with the pen??
Paddy Charlie

I spotted that and I think I'm going to switch over unless Giff Gaff come … I spotted that and I think I'm going to switch over unless Giff Gaff come up with some guidelines or even if they have a completely unlimited offer which costs more than they charge now

I would, with the "one plan" with 3, you can tether aswell, and its properly unlimited.
Giff Gaff have been discussing this openly on the forum for months now so its not like they weren't talking about it, cant blame them on that point.

20GB is too much and i think reasonable usage is less than 10gb per month. The thing i don't like is just cutting people off with no guidance at all or warning them that they will lose the data allowance. I also think its a total cop out to call any plan unlimited when it is in fact limited and this is not really Giff Gaff's fault its an industry wide issue that should be stopped by the ASA and ofcom in the first instance but has instead been allowed to go on for 10+ years now.
Original Poster Banned
nomorezen

Giff Gaff have been discussing this openly on the forum for months now so … Giff Gaff have been discussing this openly on the forum for months now so its not like they weren't talking about it, cant blame them on that point.

The only time I and a number of Giff Gaff users go onto the website is to top up. This was the first time I had been on the forum or heard about it so they really should have emailed their customers or text them to keep them informed.

I do agree with the rest of your comment although Giff Gaff had stressed that their internet was 'Truely unlimited'
Original Poster Banned
moob

Don't really know where the confusion is coming from, it's answered in … Don't really know where the confusion is coming from, it's answered in post #1.

Where? It shows proposed T&Cs so they are not in effect and states for streaming 8 hours or more which I don't do. Actual terms and conditions of the goodybag 'd) goodybags which include unlimited data browsing, allow continuous streaming of audio/video content.'
Paddy Charlie

Where? It shows proposed T&Cs so they are not in effect and states for … Where? It shows proposed T&Cs so they are not in effect and states for streaming 8 hours or more which I don't do. Actual terms and conditions of the goodybag 'd) goodybags which include unlimited data browsing, allow continuous streaming of audio/video content.'

Sorry, didn't read that but I reckon their existing T&C could cover them, broadly.

"4.8. All usage of your giffgaff SIM Card must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:

• in, any other device including a modem connected to a PC.;

• to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content,

• or in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other giffgaff customers"
Original Poster Banned
moob

Sorry, didn't read that but I reckon their existing T&C could cover them, … Sorry, didn't read that but I reckon their existing T&C could cover them, broadly."4.8. All usage of your giffgaff SIM Card must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:• in, any other device including a modem connected to a PC.;• to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content,• or in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other giffgaff customers"

Where did you get them from as it doesn't state it within the Terms & Conditions here giffgaff.com/boi…rms or in the goodybag terms and conditions

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions