Expired

Anyone else had their password changed by Amazon?

Found 8th Apr 2016
Just got this email from account-update@amazon.co.uk CC:account-update@amazon.co.uk

"Hello (my full name was written here ) ,

This is an important message from Amazon.

At Amazon we take your security and privacy very seriously. As part of our routine monitoring, we discovered a list of email address and password sets posted online. While the list was not Amazon-related, we know that many customers reuse their passwords on several websites. We believe your email address and password set was on that list. So we have taken the precaution of resetting your Amazon password. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused but felt that it was necessary to help protect you and your Amazon account.

To regain access to your Amazon customer account:

1. Go to Amazon and click the "Your Account" link at the top of our website.

2. Click the link that says "Forgot your password?"

3. Follow the instructions to set a new password for your account.

Please choose a new password and do not use the same password you used with us previously. We also highly recommend that you chose a password that you are not using on any other sites. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Amazon

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our website."

Anyone else? Wish they'd say where this came from, "Have I been pwned" comes back clear!
Community Updates
14 Comments
Don't like emails like this? I would say bin it..

For safety id change the password #within Amazon site itself#...

Worth a post tho, interested to see if anyone else has the same..
Editor
May be part of the other scam circulating - Here Always good to know about these things. Also thanks for that link Predikuesi
Predikuesi

It's a … It's a scam:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/forums/ref=cs_hc_g_tv?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx2GBEOGDU758MG&cdThread=Tx3AXNRMAUF7BZN

​I'm curious on how a email with no "click this link" can be a scam.

It tells you to go to Amazon's website and log in, during the login process it says "click forgot email" which is a easier way of resetting your password.

from this forum post
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/forums/ref=cs_hc_g_tv?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx2GBEOGDU758MG&cdThread=Tx2Q0V484ZLJYHF

By R. Pain on 13-Mar-2016 22:58 GMT
I had the same, and emailed the Amazon Contact page...

They replied back, "Hello, Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by this situation.������� Further to your email, please be informed that we asked a small number of customers to change their password as a cautionary measure. As the e-mail sent to you advised, we’ve reset your Amazon.co.uk password as a precaution. We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused but felt that it was necessary to help protect you and your Amazon account.

To regain access to your account, you can change your password through the Your Account link in the top right corner of our pages or by clicking on the following link: "

etc etc...

So it seems it is legit and they are randomly sending out as a precaution.

Hope this helps! :-)
i had that email, and my password appears to have changed as i cant log in.

i read somewhere to check your email on this, i found it told me my log in details had been leaked from paddy power a year ago. i thought this was a useful tool to see who has leaked your info. not really sure if i should complain to paddy power or how accurate that website info is so i just left it.
Original Poster
Guys I went on Amazon.co.uk and couldn't log in. For a while I thought Amazon might have been hacked but judging from what kos1c posted it seems legitimate.
Still, I feel uneasy about this and would like more info than they are willing to provide!
Original Poster
chezzy

i had that email, and my password appears to have changed as i cant log … i had that email, and my password appears to have changed as i cant log in.i read somewhere to check your email on this, i found it told me my log in details had been leaked from paddy power a year ago. i thought this was a useful tool to see who has leaked your info. not really sure if i should complain to paddy power or how accurate that website info is so i just left it.

I've never used PaddyPower. When I check my email here Have I been PWNEd it says there's been no leaks
Scam
My sister had her Amazon account hacked last week. They bought some books that went straight to her kindle. Lol. She got in touch with Amazon and they said a lot of ppls account details had been compromised and had to reset her password.
Why was my answer deleted oO
I had the same experience too. Could not log on with my usual password for last 10 years. Called Customer Service and the only advice they could give was to use Forgot Password link to reset my password. So yes, it seems in my case my password was changed to force me to change my old password.
Original Poster
Not a scam after all but they're not willing to disclose the leak either:

http://s15.postimg.org/89r2hrr13/image.png

http://s15.postimg.org/ntyg8b15j/image.png
Edited by: "MissyTrouble" 8th Apr 2016
Amazon have invalidated all passwords that do not meet their new quality standards. Just means next time you try to log in you will need to click the forgotten password link and enter a new password that meets their new standard. That what I got told on a online chat. Cannot say I blame them I have been using a password for a decade and it was only five numbers.
oh ffs. tell me you didn't.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions