EXPIRED

Anyone else heard of USB 3.0 Devices interfering with 2.4GHz RF ?

Just came across a paper detailing how USB 3.0 devices can interfere with 2.4GHz Wifi/BT keyboards, game controllers and networks.

9 Comments

Original Poster

This the the link. It's the 1st I've heard about it but I've read reports of people struggling with Wireless keyboards and game controllers. Anyone else had this problem ?

Original Poster

Likely2

Been around a … Been around a while:http://uk.pcmag.com/networking-reviews-ratings-comparisons/13179/opinion/wireless-witch-the-truth-about-usb-30-and-wi-fi-in

Wow that was fast, so how come they didn't see this problem when designing USB 3.0 ? Does thunderbolt have the same issues ?

kester76

Wow that was fast, so how come they didn't see this problem when … Wow that was fast, so how come they didn't see this problem when designing USB 3.0 ? Does thunderbolt have the same issues ?

Heard there was an issue with TB at some point in the past but not been following any progress or info, sorry.
Edited by: "Likely2" 2nd Dec 2014

Weird, have loads of USB 3.0 devices and 2.4Ghz mice/keyboards etc and not had a problem in 7 years apart from the odd usb 3.0 driver issues with certain chipsets, but that's nothing to do with 2.4Ghz at all. Not saying that others are wrong, just never encountered it myself.

[edit] nevermind, just read the above and seems to be referring more to USb 3.0 ON wireless routers that could cause problems... could be why most routers still have usb 2.0 ports for instance.
Edited by: "paddy.stone" 2nd Dec 2014

Original Poster

paddy.stone

Weird, have loads of USB 3.0 devices and 2.4Ghz mice/keyboards etc and … Weird, have loads of USB 3.0 devices and 2.4Ghz mice/keyboards etc and not had a problem in 7 years apart from the odd usb 3.0 driver issues with certain chipsets, but that's nothing to do with 2.4Ghz at all. Not saying that others are wrong, just never encountered it myself.[edit] nevermind, just read the above and seems to be referring more to USb 3.0 ON wireless routers that could cause problems... could be why most routers still have usb 2.0 ports for instance.

Looks like an external hard drive running off a notebook computer can degrade it's wifi speed when transferring files at full speed.

Not noticed it myself, have been tranferring loads of files on USB 3.0 and not noticed any drop in wifi speed at all.

It doesn't affect everyone and as most devices have good enough shielding you'll never notice anything but it does happen in the right circumstances.

Original Poster

I've only ever had one USB 3.0 device and that was a cheap 2.5" enclosure. Little **** used to kill my USB 3.0 port after a few seconds so I always used it on a USB 2.0 port.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Game11
    2. Damaged IPad...fixes please56
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1012
    4. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets811

See more discussions