Anyone Else Hoping That the Premier League Season will be Declared NULL AND VOID?

Posted 5th Apr
I was looking forward to Liverpool winning the Premier League this season, but after they have put non-essential staff on furlough, I'm hoping that it will be declared null and void.

This is a club turning over 100s of millions a year and now they've got the cheek to get us tax payers to pay for their staff.

I hope that it's at least another 20 years until they get a sniff of the title along with Tottenham and Newcastle.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Yep, but only to see lpool denied. Would be hilarious to see their fans afterwards
Agreed. The furloughing of non playing staff at the tax payers expense is an absolute scandal. Well Done Man City FC for coming out and ruling it out completely.
Time for the “Premier League” to give a little back
53 Comments
Yep, but only to see lpool denied. Would be hilarious to see their fans afterwards
The whole league should be ashamed they all should have taken a pay cut weeks ago before a politician embarrassed them into doing something. Over paid prima donnas
I want the season to continue as a Utd fan but if it's voided then Liverpool deserve it (not just due to the rivalry but due to the furlough stuff as well).

It's unnecessary to make a decision now though, they should wait and see. The fact they voided the lower leagues makes me suspect that is the more likely approach for top tier as the thought process cannot be too different (either a new season or continuing same season is unlikely to be much different from a financial perspective because the new season would have to be pushed back).
Agreed. The furloughing of non playing staff at the tax payers expense is an absolute scandal. Well Done Man City FC for coming out and ruling it out completely.
Time for the “Premier League” to give a little back
You do know it got announced yesterday that the season will 100% be completed. No ifs and buts.
Alright_Dave05/04/2020 17:33

Agreed. The furloughing of non playing staff at the tax payers expense is …Agreed. The furloughing of non playing staff at the tax payers expense is an absolute scandal. Well Done Man City FC for coming out and ruling it out completely. Time for the “Premier League” to give a little back

I didn't know that.
Well done Man City.
MonkeyMan9005/04/2020 17:38

You do know it got announced yesterday that the season will 100% be …You do know it got announced yesterday that the season will 100% be completed. No ifs and buts.

I'd take that statement with a pinch of salt to be honest.
No-one knows when this horrible virus situation will end.
Most of the bloody clubs are doing it.

The only thing that would teach them a lesson is a united fan bases that stays away from every upcoming game.
Alright_Dave05/04/2020 17:33

Agreed. The furloughing of non playing staff at the tax payers expense is …Agreed. The furloughing of non playing staff at the tax payers expense is an absolute scandal. Well Done Man City FC for coming out and ruling it out completely. Time for the “Premier League” to give a little back

I want to see the government make all footballers contracts become special cases where they cannot move but have to be furloughed and clubs can’t top their salary. Let’s see them moan about surviving on £2500 a month instead of the embarrassment they have all become of late. Rooney the latest.
lol
if its void neva follow it again or spend a penny again
Edited by: "kevlfc" 5th Apr
Yes, You'd think like United and City, Lfc would have the class to pay there own staff etc. Some United players are looking to donate 30% of there wages to the NHS.

So far I'm proud of the way United have responded and to my knowledge were the first club to announce they were going to pay there staff etc.

Void the season, it is the only fair way.

In regards to players taking pay cuts, bare in mind that will result in lower tax paid to the Government etc..
Let’s boo ‘em
Crustysock05/04/2020 17:46

I'd take that statement with a pinch of salt to be honest.No-one knows …I'd take that statement with a pinch of salt to be honest.No-one knows when this horrible virus situation will end.

There's too much money involved for it to be null and void so the statement will stand. Who would play in next year's champs league and europa of the season was voided?
The Undertaker debuted on November 1990, the last year that Liverpool won the League.

For Liverpool to win the League they need the Undertaker to retire
MonkeyMan9005/04/2020 18:22

There's too much money involved for it to be null and void so the …There's too much money involved for it to be null and void so the statement will stand. Who would play in next year's champs league and europa of the season was voided?

The same who qualified last season baring City. There place would go to Arsenal and Everton would take there place in Europa etc.
.MUFC.05/04/2020 19:36

The same who qualified last season baring City. There place would go to …The same who qualified last season baring City. There place would go to Arsenal and Everton would take there place in Europa etc.

That would never work. Like I said too much money involved. Money talks in football.
Op why didn't you start this chat when Norwich/Newcastle did it first and wished they were relegated?
Edited by: "Sc4mp0" 5th Apr
Any Man City player would tell you they had won it already
MonkeyMan9005/04/2020 19:40

That would never work. Like I said too much money involved. Money talks in …That would never work. Like I said too much money involved. Money talks in football.

It's the fairest way unless they complete it. Remember United would be missing out on the Champions league and this seasons Europa would need to be voided etc.. unless whoever won Europa didn't automatically qualify. These are unprecedented times and no one can give a definite answer at the minute.
.MUFC.05/04/2020 19:47

It's the fairest way unless they complete it. Remember United would be …It's the fairest way unless they complete it. Remember United would be missing out on the Champions league and this seasons Europa would need to be voided etc.. unless whoever won Europa didn't automatically qualify. These are unprecedented times and no one can give a definite answer at the minute.

They will complete it. 100%. Even if it's behind closed doors.
MonkeyMan9005/04/2020 19:48

They will complete it. 100%. Even if it's behind closed doors.

It's a fans sport, No game should be played without fans unless it's for disciplinary reasons.

If and when it's completed at least the celebrations will be mute.
.MUFC.05/04/2020 19:51

It's a fans sport, No game should be played without fans unless it's for …It's a fans sport, No game should be played without fans unless it's for disciplinary reasons.If and when it's completed at least the celebrations will be mute.

It's a one off to play behind closed doors. It doesn't take a genius to work out what you want to happen.
As a villa supporter it really wouldn't be a bad thing to null the season.....it won't happen but can live with hope (it's all we have left )
MonkeyMan9005/04/2020 19:56

It's a one off to play behind closed doors. It doesn't take a genius to …It's a one off to play behind closed doors. It doesn't take a genius to work out what you want to happen.

My preference is for it to be voided because it's the fairest way if there can't be any fans etc..
.MUFC.05/04/2020 20:06

My preference is for it to be voided because it's the fairest way if there …My preference is for it to be voided because it's the fairest way if there can't be any fans etc..

How is it fair . You are obviously going to have the most biased desicion going when your biggest rivals are about to get 1 up on your club
MonkeyMan9005/04/2020 20:08

How is it fair . You are obviously going to …How is it fair . You are obviously going to have the most biased desicion going when your biggest rivals are about to get 1 up on your club

It's fair because no one gets relegated or wins. It remains as is and it'd also be absolutely hilarious. If they let Liverpool win the league = 1 happy club.

Void the league = 19 happy clubs.

Simple as that really.
.MUFC.05/04/2020 20:12

It's fair because no one gets relegated or wins. It remains as is and it'd …It's fair because no one gets relegated or wins. It remains as is and it'd also be absolutely hilarious. If they let Liverpool win the league = 1 happy club. Void the league = 19 happy clubs.Simple as that really.

No it isn't as simple as that. All the time and effort can't just go without reward. Liverpool are 25 points clear and are going on to break a record yer you say its fair to just take it away from them. Why would you have 19 happy clubs if you void the league? Don't you mean you'd have 1 happy club. Being Man United. The only people that want the season voided are those in a relegation battle and man u fans. Like I said pointless debating it with you cos your head is in the clouds as you're a man u fan.
MonkeyMan9005/04/2020 20:15

No it isn't as simple as that. All the time and effort can't just go …No it isn't as simple as that. All the time and effort can't just go without reward. Liverpool are 25 points clear and are going on to break a record yer you say its fair to just take it away from them. Why would you have 19 happy clubs if you void the league? Don't you mean you'd have 1 happy club. Being Man United. The only people that want the season voided are those in a relegation battle and man u fans. Like I said pointless debating it with you cos your head is in the clouds as you're a man u fan.

Not really, Think about it. United would or could also miss out on Champions league football.

Nothing is guaranteed in football. Liverpool are known bottlers, They bottle everything. You can't be 100% certain they'd win the league etc.. Yes logically they would but it's still mathematically possible for them to be caught. Then there is the other end of the table etc.. along with Champions league and Europa league places. It's most probably easier to void the league this season.

Otherwise I'd very much hope that it is delayed long enough for the fans to go watch them. I am 100% against playing in empty stadiums, That just isn't right at all and that isn't bias.
.MUFC.05/04/2020 20:26

Not really, Think about it. United would or could also miss out on …Not really, Think about it. United would or could also miss out on Champions league football. Nothing is guaranteed in football. Liverpool are known bottlers, They bottle everything. You can't be 100% certain they'd win the league etc.. Yes logically they would but it's still mathematically possible for them to be caught. Then there is the other end of the table etc.. along with Champions league and Europa league places. It's most probably easier to void the league this season.Otherwise I'd very much hope that it is delayed long enough for the fans to go watch them. I am 100% against playing in empty stadiums, That just isn't right at all and that isn't bias.

I suppose the saying you can't educate pork comes to mind right now.
MonkeyMan9005/04/2020 20:28

I suppose the saying you can't educate pork comes to mind right now.

Don't need educating, Somethings are more important than league titles
.MUFC.05/04/2020 20:26

Not really, Think about it. United would or could also miss out on …Not really, Think about it. United would or could also miss out on Champions league football. Nothing is guaranteed in football. Liverpool are known bottlers, They bottle everything. You can't be 100% certain they'd win the league etc.. Yes logically they would but it's still mathematically possible for them to be caught. Then there is the other end of the table etc.. along with Champions league and Europa league places. It's most probably easier to void the league this season.Otherwise I'd very much hope that it is delayed long enough for the fans to go watch them. I am 100% against playing in empty stadiums, That just isn't right at all and that isn't bias.

Liverpool are ‘known bottlers’? What complete and utter garbage. Go and do some research then come back and repeat that statement.

And as for voiding the season being the only fair way - complete and utter tosh. The fairest way is to continue it once the virus has cleared, and either push back next season, or drop it, depending on the timeframe. Dropping it would make plenty of space and time for national competitions, European competitions etc etc.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work this out. If you even listened to Guilem Balague recently, he stated that a similar situation with a league has only once happened before - in Chile. That was resolved by cancelling the league and awarding the title to the team at the top (13 points clear) and no team being relegated...

bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-50611557
Edited by: "Diggsy" 5th Apr
...by the way, I totally agree that no member of staff in any top club should be furloughed whilst players earn outrageous sums of money.
Considering what the players are paid, the lot of them should be quarantined in separated rooms in a hotel for a couple of weeks to ensure they are free of infection, then they can go back to work and play in empty football grounds and provide some much needed entertainment, for those that like football - not me!
Diggsy05/04/2020 20:35

Liverpool are ‘known bottlers’? What complete and utter garbage. Go and do …Liverpool are ‘known bottlers’? What complete and utter garbage. Go and do some research then come back and repeat that statement.And as for voiding the season being the only fair way - complete and utter tosh. The fairest way is to continue it once the virus has cleared, and either push back next season, or drop it, depending on the timeframe. Dropping it would make plenty of space and time for national competitions, European competitions etc etc.It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work this out. If you even listened to Guilem Balague recently, he stated that a similar situation with a league has only once happened before - in Chile. That was resolved by awarding the title to the team at the top (13 points clear) and no team being relegated...bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-50611557

Did you not see Gerrards slip or watch any Cup finals they lost etc? You've been challenging for the league on and off for the past 30 odd years and you've bottled it on several occasion's. They're known bottlers that's a FACT. You should also ask Rafa about FACT's

Honestly there are two ways that would be fair and that's either void or complete with fans in stadiums.

My preference would be void but the only other way is the unbias way and complete the season with fans whenever it's safe to do so. Even if it's next year.

Any other way would wouldn't be fair in regards to CL/Europa league places etc.. You're given the league but Sheffield United miss out on European football? They've got a game in hand etc.. It just makes it all unfair. so it's either void or completed. They're the only two options imo.
Im going to stop replying now, as it’s quite clear that you are basing your entire argument on the fact that as a Man U fan, you despise Liverpool. I’d be interested to hear your views if Man U were 25 points clear having played probably the best season of football ever witnessed in a top division. Your view would no doubt be very different, however let’s hope that a Coronavirus never strikes again, and it’s almost a cast iron guarantee that Man U will never be 25 points clear!

Your point about them being bottlers clearly takes zero cognisance of the fact that Liverpool were the dominant force in English football for a considerable period of time. I’d certainly not describe them as bottlers. Yes, players have made errors and leagues / cup finals have been lost, but every team has had issues, heck even Man U have fallen apart over the last lot of seasons. You only have to listen to ex players to understand how bad things are at the club.

Anyway, stay safe. I truly hope you don’t get your wish of having the season voided. I hope it’s finished at some point
Diggsy05/04/2020 20:55

Im going to stop replying now, as it’s quite clear that you are basing y …Im going to stop replying now, as it’s quite clear that you are basing your entire argument on the fact that as a Man U fan, you despise Liverpool. I’d be interested to hear your views if Man U were 25 points clear having played probably the best season of football ever witnessed in a top division. Your view would no doubt be very different, however let’s hope that a Coronavirus never strikes again, and it’s almost a cast iron guarantee that Man U will never be 25 points clear!Your point about them being bottlers clearly takes zero cognisance of the fact that Liverpool were the dominant force in English football for a considerable period of time. I’d certainly not describe them as bottlers. Yes, players have made errors and leagues / cup finals have been lost, but every team has had issues, heck even Man U have fallen apart over the last lot of seasons. You only have to listen to ex players to understand how bad things are at the club.Anyway, stay safe. I truly hope you don’t get your wish of having the season voided. I hope it’s finished at some point

Of course, If I was a LFC fan I'd see it from your perspective. What you've achieved so far this season is remarkable and they deserve every bit of credit. However I refer to them as bottlers because I'm 37, I've only ever seen LFC bottle things etc.. Yes they were successful for the first several years of my life but I was a kid and were many years previously.

I've been privileged to live in the Fergie era. Obviously we've been on the decline since he retired and we're a long way off the likes of Liverpool atm. Although before lock down we were starting to click and I honestly believe we'd make the top 4.

If it is completed then I hope it's with full stadiums and honestly I'd deem that fair as in reality that is the fairest way if you're not a Man united fan of course

I think you understand my viewpoint and if you ignore the "void the league" you'll probably agree the best option is to complete the season!

The furloughing staff changed my viewpoint, It's disgusting and they should pay them in full.

Anyway you stay safe too. What will be will be.
Looks like it may return in June?
I really didn’t like the furloughing either. If it was possible, I’d like to have seen the government restrict furloughing. I don’t think football clubs in great financial positions, with ridiculously well paid players should be allowed to furlough anyone.

The PFA made a good argument with regards reducing players salaries by 30% potentially impacting the economy, however I think they could’ve went a step further and suggested that whilst players should earn their full amount, they should contribute to paying the non playing staff, and potentially make a donation to the NHS as well.

I’m sure a lot of them could easily afford it. Liverpool furloughed something like 200 staff. At current furlough rates (max 2.5k per month), that would cost £500,000 per month.

That could easily be paid by the players, and to be honest it’s really poor that this hasn’t been done already. I’ve no doubt that ridiculous contracts have a big part to play, but the players should be ashamed of themselves. Not just Liverpool players, but all top level professional footballers earning movie star money!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions