Anyone else screaming at the tv 'Coronavirus update'?

Posted 6th Apr
I'm getting more and more frustrated at the daily update on BBC. Not at the politicians (whom I think are doing a great job) but at the reporters and their inane questions. How many times did they ask about 'exit strategy' tonight? Seems like the experts are struggling with ways to give the same answer without appearing rude . And then there was the guy who struggled to string a coherent sentence together.... Then they kept asking about the PMs health. .. and kept being told that they couldn't talk about his health. . again.. and again.. and yet again.

If they can't talk eloquently, they shouldn't be on the tv. Stick to the written word.
Grrrr
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Come on Boris pull through pal
PennyTrader06/04/2020 20:23

UK PM Boris Johnson taken to intensive care …UK PM Boris Johnson taken to intensive care https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52192604There’s an update for you.

Best wishes must go to Boris at this time. Do we all agree?
flowersofwar06/04/2020 19:34

Comment deleted

Well, can you name a politician who could do better? Labour party would be too busy arguing about what biscuits to have with their tea, to get anything decided.
It's a state of flux because there is no definitive treatment yet for this. They have responded to experts and adapted their response accordingly. They also resisted the temptation to make mileage over the Scottish ministers infractions.
Quite refreshing really.
splender06/04/2020 20:51

Exit strategy was a good questions 100% waffle and a Teflon answer. What a …Exit strategy was a good questions 100% waffle and a Teflon answer. What a missed opportunity!They need to tell us that they have an exit strategy now, and its strategy is being worked on by civil servants, being fleshed out in details by a project director and to deploy implementation people to draft the delivery details for use in a fortnight!

I disagree on this - it is far too soon to even contemplate any exit strategy when each day we are seeing more and more cases and fatalities.
How can anybody put a time on the uncertainty?
Last week they spoke about green shoots with cases coming down slightly and then fast forward a couple of days and the numbers are through the roof.

Talk about between a rock and a hard place giving any positivity at these early stages can have a negative backwards effect hence they are extremely careful not to say something that have an adverse effect including building people’s hopes up.

Exit strategy is far too soon to forecast until the daily figures reduce dramatically and that isn’t happening right now.

Stay at home - protect the NHS - Save lives.

Until everybody who can does, this nightmare will continue sadly.
70 Comments
My understanding is that the journalists pose their questions in advance (not to the panel but to the scheduler) however the journalists don't know what the others are asking so they all end up repeating the same things and getting the same stock answers.

I like the US interviews more, they proper take chunks out of Trump so he just resorts to childish insults, it's comedy gold. He was so the kid when he was younger that would get upset his side was losing so he'd just take the ball away
The journalist questions drove me crazy. Even if they are writing them in advance it wouldn't take much coordination for each reporter to submit their questions in advance to ensure they are different each time, or even have the live feed up in the background. They are asking 2 questions each but they could create more than 2 and ask the ones which haven't been asked already from the list.
Edited by: "jamie15" 6th Apr
I find a lot of people seem rude and negative and quick to point fingers without logically thinking about both sides of the coin.
Seems like a political bias opportunity for some, when it should reunite us.

It's an incredible difficult situation and I'm trying to keep away from the majority of posts to do with CV on any social media form because I think animosity is not needed.

Comment deleted

Well, can you name a politician who could do better? Labour party would be too busy arguing about what biscuits to have with their tea, to get anything decided.
It's a state of flux because there is no definitive treatment yet for this. They have responded to experts and adapted their response accordingly. They also resisted the temptation to make mileage over the Scottish ministers infractions.
Quite refreshing really.
Yes, Stupid questions that they honestly can't answer or shouldn't answer. The situation is fluid and quite clearly the answer is that they'll relax the rules when it's appropriate to do so. Forcing them to put a date on it is ridiculous and dangerous. They'll relax it when they feel it's safe to do so. The first signs are good but could change so quite rightly they can't answer stupid questions etc..

As for Boris, He's leader, he's capable of suggesting whether he wants a break or not and I'm sure no one would begrudge him but whilst he's happy to continue working then let him.
Katie_Cherry06/04/2020 19:54

I find a lot of people seem rude and negative and quick to point fingers …I find a lot of people seem rude and negative and quick to point fingers without logically thinking about both sides of the coin. Seems like a political bias opportunity for some, when it should reunite us. It's an incredible difficult situation and I'm trying to keep away from the majority of posts to do with CV on any social media form because I think animosity is not needed.

Sir Keir raised the question in regards to exit strategy so probably why the press have jumped on it and pushed it forward. Probably trying to create political rivalry when it isn't needed. I'm sure parties had agreed to work on it together. Now isn't the time.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 6th Apr
Try another news channel
It's simple really. I don't watch it. Better to read about it and not get distracted by the hysteria.
Media in general are rude about most topics
joxeruk200006/04/2020 20:03

Try another news channel

It was the press asking the questions at fault. Not the BBC as such.
Bring back 24 hour Brexit coverage. Those were happier times
At least you could switch off your TV for months and not really care if you missed any updates
Come on Boris pull through pal
UK PM Boris Johnson taken to intensive care bbc.co.uk/new…604

There’s an update for you.
.MUFC.06/04/2020 20:17

It was the press asking the questions at fault. Not the BBC as such.

Laura kuensberg works for the bbc so it kind of is their fault.
.MUFC.06/04/2020 19:59

Yes, Stupid questions that they honestly can't answer or shouldn't answer. …Yes, Stupid questions that they honestly can't answer or shouldn't answer. The situation is fluid and quite clearly the answer is that they'll relax the rules when it's appropriate to do so. Forcing them to put a date on it is ridiculous and dangerous. They'll relax it when they feel it's safe to do so. The first signs are good but could change so quite rightly they can't answer stupid questions etc..As for Boris, He's leader, he's capable of suggesting whether he wants a break or not and I'm sure no one would begrudge him but whilst he's happy to continue working then let him.

I just wish that the questions were more positive rather than trying to ask an awkward question designed to make the politicians trip them selves up answering them.
There is the headline!

I agree with the OP, but it is the reporters job to get a soundbite, a single headline they can manipulate.

All reporters are scumbags really. They know the answer, they just want a soundbite to get the click bate.

UK PM Boris Johnson taken to intensive care …UK PM Boris Johnson taken to intensive care https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52192604There’s an update for you.

Absolutely shocking.
Yeah they are starting to become a bit pointless. We're in a phase where we need to wait and see how it plays out but all the journalists care about is pushing for answers they can't give and no reasonably sane person would expect them to. They are only looking for tomorrows headline instead of looking for information.

I got really annoyed with tonight's one. If it were me it would be one inane question and your publication doesn't get access to future briefings.
matthews947906/04/2020 20:27

Laura kuensberg works for the bbc so it kind of is their fault.

Don't think she asked those questions but yes partially.
These press conferences are a waste of time, the conference speakers waffle and flannel us with Heinz canned general tomato soup stock answers and the reporters are too easy ordering plain tomato soups all round.

Should dispense with the conference speakers, put in three project directors : health/NHS change director; economic/financial implementation director and lock-down project director to field questions from reporters. And the 3 directors must give instant useful answers (therefore, they must have on air, a live fact support team, passing paper notes, to these directors if they are unable to give a precise answer, so as to avoid waffle and flannel. These three directors are armed with budgets to command resources and to fill in gaps immediately.

thisismark06/04/2020 20:47

Absolutely

100% agree, c’mon Boris you can do this 🙏🏻
Exit strategy was a good questions 100% waffle and a Teflon answer. What a missed opportunity!

They need to tell us that they have an exit strategy now, and its strategy is being worked on by civil servants, being fleshed out in details by a project director and to deploy implementation people to draft the delivery details for use in a fortnight!
Edited by: "splender" 6th Apr

Comment deleted

Yeah not over here, we have 2 in charge who are supposed to have equal power but cannot agree on anything and lives are being lost due to their bickering and incompetence and a health minister clearly out of his depth and on the news tonight he does look very unwell. Welcome to N.Ireland.
I've been avoiding the news - I limit my self yo one 5 minute look at the BBC website every evening and that's it. it's really improved my mental health and it's not like I'm missing anything either
Boris in ICU......
splender06/04/2020 20:51

Exit strategy was a good questions 100% waffle and a Teflon answer. What a …Exit strategy was a good questions 100% waffle and a Teflon answer. What a missed opportunity!They need to tell us that they have an exit strategy now, and its strategy is being worked on by civil servants, being fleshed out in details by a project director and to deploy implementation people to draft the delivery details for use in a fortnight!

I disagree on this - it is far too soon to even contemplate any exit strategy when each day we are seeing more and more cases and fatalities.
How can anybody put a time on the uncertainty?
Last week they spoke about green shoots with cases coming down slightly and then fast forward a couple of days and the numbers are through the roof.

Talk about between a rock and a hard place giving any positivity at these early stages can have a negative backwards effect hence they are extremely careful not to say something that have an adverse effect including building people’s hopes up.

Exit strategy is far too soon to forecast until the daily figures reduce dramatically and that isn’t happening right now.

Stay at home - protect the NHS - Save lives.

Until everybody who can does, this nightmare will continue sadly.
Ringfinger06/04/2020 19:58

Well, can you name a politician who could do better? Labour party would …Well, can you name a politician who could do better? Labour party would be too busy arguing about what biscuits to have with their tea, to get anything decided. It's a state of flux because there is no definitive treatment yet for this. They have responded to experts and adapted their response accordingly. They also resisted the temptation to make mileage over the Scottish ministers infractions. Quite refreshing really.

We don't need a politician now, We need three project directors.
deleted193929
PennyTrader06/04/2020 21:05

Stay at home - protect the NHS - Save lives.Until everybody who can does, …Stay at home - protect the NHS - Save lives.Until everybody who can does, this nightmare will continue sadly.

You think it wouldn't be that hard of a thing for people to do would you? Knowing its only for a temporay period.

Yes I hope he pulls through, I think he’s doing a good job, but statically he has 33% chance now he’s in intensive care after day 10...
PennyTrader06/04/2020 21:05

I disagree on this - it is far too soon to even contemplate any exit …I disagree on this - it is far too soon to even contemplate any exit strategy when each day we are seeing more and more cases and fatalities.How can anybody put a time on the uncertainty?Last week they spoke about green shoots with cases coming down slightly and then fast forward a couple of days and the numbers are through the roof.Talk about between a rock and a hard place giving any positivity at these early stages can have a negative backwards effect hence they are extremely careful not to say something that have an adverse effect including building people’s hopes up.Exit strategy is far too soon to forecast until the daily figures reduce dramatically and that isn’t happening right now.Stay at home - protect the NHS - Save lives.Until everybody who can does, this nightmare will continue sadly.

You are bamboozled by talk. There are no uncertainties. Can you even name me 10 uncertainties?

We have playbooks to copy from, the coronavious problem is well understood, just copy the same from the heads of governments around the world, from countries eastward of us. Coronavirus impacts are very consistent and predictable, learn the lessons and plagiarise all their strategies and plans from Austria, Germany , Italy, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, France...
Bargainhead06/04/2020 21:11

Yes I hope he pulls through, I think he’s doing a good job, but statically …Yes I hope he pulls through, I think he’s doing a good job, but statically he has 33% chance now he’s in intensive care after day 10...

It's not looking good for Boris.

As far as I can tell it's quite a classic scenario to either be fully recovered at around 8-10 days or take a considerable turn for the worse.

Hopefully this will end well, but there's a complete lack of info pertaining to those that end up in ICU and recover fully. The only figure available for recovery after ICU is 135 which is obviously a wildly inaccurate figure.

As to be expected we won't get a full handle on how serious his situation is, but he's quite obviously unable to fight this in an average manner and a ventilator will just allow his body more time to try and fight this
splender06/04/2020 21:11

You are bamboozled by talk. There are no uncertainties. Can you even name …You are bamboozled by talk. There are no uncertainties. Can you even name me 10 uncertainties?We have playbooks to copy from, the coronavious problem is well understood, just copy the same from the heads of governments around the world, from countries eastward of us. Coronavirus impacts are very consistent and predictable, learn the lessons and plagiarise all their strategies and plans from Austria, Germany , Italy, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, France...

There are hundreds of uncertainties including the numbers of those infected and those who will die either directly or indirectly as a result of insufficient care.

All you can harp on about is when we can expect to go out and assume everything is ok when at the moment it’s clearly not ok!

When the figures are getting to a level that’s ‘ acceptable’ towards elimination of this disease I am sure you’ll get the answer but until then stay in and do the right thing!
OllieSt06/04/2020 21:16

It's not looking good for Boris. As far as I can tell it's quite a …It's not looking good for Boris. As far as I can tell it's quite a classic scenario to either be fully recovered at around 8-10 days or take a considerable turn for the worse.Hopefully this will end well, but there's a complete lack of info pertaining to those that end up in ICU and recover fully. The only figure available for recovery after ICU is 135 which is obviously a wildly inaccurate figure.As to be expected we won't get a full handle on how serious his situation is, but he's quite obviously unable to fight this in an average manner and a ventilator will just allow his body more time to try and fight this

Raab looked terrified and shaken when he gave that statement just now. Scary.
OllieSt06/04/2020 21:16

It's not looking good for Boris. As far as I can tell it's quite a …It's not looking good for Boris. As far as I can tell it's quite a classic scenario to either be fully recovered at around 8-10 days or take a considerable turn for the worse.Hopefully this will end well, but there's a complete lack of info pertaining to those that end up in ICU and recover fully. The only figure available for recovery after ICU is 135 which is obviously a wildly inaccurate figure.As to be expected we won't get a full handle on how serious his situation is, but he's quite obviously unable to fight this in an average manner and a ventilator will just allow his body more time to try and fight this

The absence of features or characteristics of patient outcomes in daily press briefing is another missed opportunity. "They" just don't have a handle of understanding or willingness to tell us the epidemiological characteristics. If they don't tell us, where is the evidence of the fact that they are in control, say, the case fatality rate.

Features means (for 51, 608 patients and 5373 deaths) : age distribution, critical cases, severe cases, patients with underlying issues, gender, case fatality by age bands and so on...+ patterns of how they contracted coronavirus ....all useful stuff to inform the public what to do using these statistics. Say, one's friend and relative is hospitalised, what is the likely outcome? ( Like, Johnson is now.) Some would want to know, some would not want to know. As you said, the 135 recovered number is mostly not useful.
PennyTrader06/04/2020 21:26

There are hundreds of uncertainties including the numbers of those …There are hundreds of uncertainties including the numbers of those infected and those who will die either directly or indirectly as a result of insufficient care.All you can harp on about is when we can expect to go out and assume everything is ok when at the moment it’s clearly not ok! When the figures are getting to a level that’s ‘ acceptable’ towards elimination of this disease I am sure you’ll get the answer but until then stay in and do the right thing!

Say, we have 100 project managers, one for entry strategy, one for in-flight strategy , why can't we have an exit strategy now? So all these project managers working together? By the way, I missed the entry strategy, could you remind me in a paragraph what they were please?

We are getting there, you said, "There are hundreds of uncertainties including the numbers of those infected and those who will die either directly or indirectly as a result of insufficient care."

I pick out two uncertainties from you, 1/ numbers of those infected 2/ number of those who will die.

How would the uncertainties or certainties of the numbers affect 1/ and 2/ the exit strategies? To help you along, let's say, using the number of infected, looking at other European data as we have them, how would 100,000, 200,000, 300,000, 400,000 affect the strategies, please detail? Can you name some example strategies that would be deployed as a result of knowing or not knowing the number of those infected?
Bargainhead06/04/2020 21:11

Yes I hope he pulls through, I think he’s doing a good job, but statically …Yes I hope he pulls through, I think he’s doing a good job, but statically he has 33% chance now he’s in intensive care after day 10...

I am curious about why you stated 33% chance now in intensive care, is there an NHS published analysis of patient outcomes in intensive care? If so, I like to read what this analysis is.
To be truthful, looked at all the comments on this thread, I'll just drink and watch films...as per usual.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions