Groups

Anyone else think this is wrong?

Madeleine suspect to sue media.
    Did he not have some previous?

36 Comments

hes only doing it for the money......had he been made bankrupt a few yrs ago????

yes . .

If the media implied you'd abducted and murdered a child and you were innocent, what would you do?

Banned

oh like you wouldnt given the chance - lol

cmms;1885931

hes only doing it for the money......had he been made bankrupt a few yrs … hes only doing it for the money......had he been made bankrupt a few yrs ago????

Served his time, if he had nothing to do with it then why not?

Personally, I think it's a good thing. Perhaps it will help stop the "Trial by media" trend that has been going on for some time, and make the media go back to what it is supposed to do, report the news.

You only have to look at ]another headline today to see the possible results of such 'trials'.

Original Poster

cmms;1885931

hes only doing it for the money......had he been made bankrupt a few yrs … hes only doing it for the money......had he been made bankrupt a few yrs ago????

Regardless I don't think it should be allowed as they obviously had reason to suspect him

Original Poster

nightswimmer;1885952

Personally, I think it's a good thing. Perhaps it will help stop the … Personally, I think it's a good thing. Perhaps it will help stop the "Trial by media" trend that has been going on for some time, and make the media go back to what it is supposed to do, report the news.You only have to look at ]another headline today to see the possible results of such 'trials'.

Then fine the media and have the funds donated to charity :thinking:

jtx;1885953

Regardless I don't think it should be allowed as they obviously had … Regardless I don't think it should be allowed as they obviously had reason to suspect him

If he is a suspect then the media can report that he is a suspect, or being questioned, what they can't do is imply that he actually did it.

chrysha;1885943

If the media implied you'd abducted and murdered a child and you were … If the media implied you'd abducted and murdered a child and you were innocent, what would you do?

I wouldn't sue them. I would try to get on with my life.

emmad;1886017

I wouldn't sue them. I would try to get on with my life.

What if, for example, as a result of the stories you suddenly find yourself unemployed and unemployable?

nightswimmer;1886025

What if, for example, as a result of the stories you suddenly find … What if, for example, as a result of the stories you suddenly find yourself unemployed and unemployable?

I still wouldn't sue. Yes i would be totally devastated by the accusations but wouldn't sue.

Short answer no.
    Long answer, the press exaggerate and hype up stories for page 1/cover and then post an apology, on page 27 in a column no one will read. It's selling paper's and the increased circulation will fund any possible outcome.
    Do you not think it is wrong, that they have speculated on him being guilty, simply to have increased sales?
    Bit of morality here i think, guy may have form, doesn't mean he has done it this time.
    When someone has committed a crime, in UK at least, and served their time, they are regarded to have what is called a spent conviction. They have done their time and should be allowed to carry on. I do not always agree that should be allowed, victims cannot always carry on but that's the law not the moral argument.
    Doubt there are many on here who haven't committed a crime, it's the getting away with it. Downloading films, music, speeding, taking stuff from work, personal phone calls, where do you draw the line?

I'll say one thing that is a more serious crime and that is women who destroy men's lives by saying that they have been raped. The men's name, details etc etc are plastered all over the press, they lose family trust, friends, jobs etc and have no recourse. There was a woman recently who has alleged this 5 or 6 times now, all different men. Women more often than not get anonymity. That's wrong

emmad;1886047

I still wouldn't sue. Yes i would be totally devastated by the … I still wouldn't sue. Yes i would be totally devastated by the accusations but wouldn't sue.

Fair enough. That's your right not to sue, as it is another person's right to sue should they choose to, no matter what their background.

Original Poster

emmad;1886047

I still wouldn't sue. Yes i would be totally devastated by the … I still wouldn't sue. Yes i would be totally devastated by the accusations but wouldn't sue.

I completely agree, makes it worse that she still hasn't been found

Until the case is closed/solved no-one should be suing anyone. He could still be recalled if they find new evidence against him.

Sheriff Waffles;1886089

Until the case is closed/solved no-one should be suing anyone. He could … Until the case is closed/solved no-one should be suing anyone. He could still be recalled if they find new evidence against him.

Exactly. I just hope they eventually find her, poor little mite

Sheriff Waffles;1886089

Until the case is closed/solved no-one should be suing anyone. He could … Until the case is closed/solved no-one should be suing anyone. He could still be recalled if they find new evidence against him.

According to the article, the papers will now be doing their own investigations into him to try and prove what they said is true. So if he really did have anthing to do with it, by taking this action he could well end up more likely to be caught. Given that he and his lawyers would be well aware of this, I would say that it's more than likely that he is innocent, otherwise why take the chance?

Banned

The media get away so much with sensationalising headlines to the point where they are untrue they deserve to be sued and I wish him the best of luck

Proximo;1886143

The media get away with so much with sensationalising headlines to the … The media get away with so much with sensationalising headlines to the point where they are untrue they deserve to be sued and I wish him the best of luck

Wish i'd have said my rant as succinctly

Ever seen talk shows where they take lie detector tests?
    The gulity person willingly takes the test and convince themselves they can beat the system.
    It's the same with some criminals, sort of like reverse psychology they think 'if I do this people would think "well he wouldn't take that risk if he was guilty."'
    No one really knows for sure and it's been nearly a year since her disappearance.
    Until madeline is found, no one should sue.
    There is no way of knowing who is innocent or guilty until she is found.
    And if he is found innocent if/when madeline is found, then maybe he should sue, and proceed a substantial amount to charities such as missing persons helpline etc.

Sheriff Waffles;1886165

Ever seen talk shows where they take lie detector tests?The gulity person … Ever seen talk shows where they take lie detector tests?The gulity person willingly takes the test and convince themselves they can beat the system.It's the same with some criminals, sort of like reverse psychology they think 'if I do this people would think "well he wouldn't take that risk if he was guilty."'

It's one thing when confronted with a lie detector test on a TV show, it's another when you have (I would imagine) lots of indepth disussions with lawyers, in private, about the possible outcomes of taking on the British media. You could well be right though for all I know.

No one really knows for sure and it's been nearly a year since her … No one really knows for sure and it's been nearly a year since her disappearance.Until madeline is found, no one should sue.There is no way of knowing who is innocent or guilty until she is found.And if he is found innocent if/when madeline is found, then maybe he should sue, and proceed a substantial amount to charities such as missing persons helpline etc.

Why should he, as a victim, have to give any monies that are due to him to charity? Why shouldn't the media give monies to charities from the millions they have made off the back of this story?

jtx;1885953

Regardless I don't think it should be allowed as they obviously had … Regardless I don't think it should be allowed as they obviously had reason to suspect him

and the main reason they suspected him was because reporters had said he was being over friendly and perhaps too helpful!!

And of course he had the attraction (to the Portugeese police) of not being a local.......

Nightswimmer:

True. It would be as a good will gesture from him, a chance for the public to see him in a more positive light I guess.
    I'm also doubting he could afford the best lawyers at present, and this could be a chance for the lawyers to get their name around - good for business I guess, so they might not be giving him wise advice!
    Guess I'm a little cynical really.
    Hope they find madeline and the perpetrators soon.

gari189;1886250

and the main reason they suspected him was because reporters had said he … and the main reason they suspected him was because reporters had said he was being over friendly and perhaps too helpful!!And of course he had the attraction (to the Portugeese police) of not being a local.......

Ian Huntley was apparently a little too helpful and curious also.
    He could be innocent, he could be gulity. (robert Murat)
    Either way i hate tabloid papers they are full of bull and I would not lower myself by buying one!!!:x

Sheriff Waffles;1886262

It would be as a good will gesture from him, a chance for the public to … It would be as a good will gesture from him, a chance for the public to see him in a more positive light I guess.

The public had never heard of this guy.
    The press print stuff that allegedly implies he was responsible for the death of a girl.
    The public now hear of this guy and think of him in a bad light.

So to correct something that he is neither responsible for, nor asked for in any way, he has to give his own money away?

Does that seem in anyway fair?

I'm also doubting he could afford the best lawyers at present, and this … I'm also doubting he could afford the best lawyers at present, and this could be a chance for the lawyers to get their name around - good for business I guess, so they might not be giving him wise advice!

I don't doubt that possibility.

[QUOTE=nightswimmer;1886316]The public had never heard of this guy.
    The press print stuff that allegedly implies he was responsible for the death of a girl.
    The public now hear of this guy and think of him in a bad light.

So to correct something that he is neither responsible for, nor asked for in any way, he has to give his own money away?

Does that seem in anyway fair?

He may well have been implicated wrongly. We will never be sure if he is guilty/innocent until the case is solved.
    He has every right to sue and obviously keep some to rebuild his life and pay court costs etc. if he has been wrongly accused.
    All I am saying is we can't be sure he had no involvement at the moment, so he shouldn't be suing right now.
    Tabloids can blow everything out of proportion and millions of readers will believe everything they read.
    Tabloids can be very suggestive in their reporting... when they say ' an insider/close friend/family member said...' You can rightly assume this part of the story is fabricated without any solid evidence to back it up!;-)

Sheriff Waffles;1886425

All I am saying is we can't be sure he had no involvement at the moment, … All I am saying is we can't be sure he had no involvement at the moment, so he shouldn't be suing right now.

So what happens if the case never gets solved? :thinking:

Tabloids can blow everything out of proportion and millions of readers … Tabloids can blow everything out of proportion and millions of readers will believe everything they read.Tabloids can be very suggestive in their reporting... when they say ' an insider/close friend/family member said...' You can rightly assume this part of the story is fabricated without any solid evidence to back it up!;-)

I have it on good authority that you could well be right. :thumbsup:

The parentsof this child could easily sue as they have been practically accused of killing their own child.
    I'm sure there would be a big kerfuffle if they tried to sue right now!
    He is not the only pssible 'victim' in all of this
    If she never gets found he will always be a suspect as will family and friends of madeline.
    No amount of suing tabloids will sadly change that.

Sheriff Waffles;1886468

The parentsof this child could easily sue as they have been practically … The parentsof this child could easily sue as they have been practically accused of killing their own child.I'm sure there would be a big kerfuffle if they tried to sue right now!

]They already have.

No kerfuffle was heard.

nightswimmer;1886508

]They already have. No kerfuffle was heard.

I stand corrected.;-)

Still the focus shouldn't be on suing, it should be on finding the child!!!

Giving the tabloids what for should come later

That's just my opinion.

I can't believe she hasn't been found yet, it's such a shame.

Sheriff Waffles;1886530

Still the focus shouldn't be on suing, it should be on finding the … Still the focus shouldn't be on suing, it should be on finding the child!!!

But who's focus is going to be distracted? The police will still be continuing their investigations just the same. The British media will still continue their saturation coverage of the story.

That's just my opinion.

And one your are entirely entitled to.

I can't believe she hasn't been found yet, it's such a shame.

Nor me. :?

The media's focus should stay on finding madeline, all the suing stuff is sort of like throwing scent of the tracks in my opinion. They should all agree where the priority is and suing papers will not keep the public vigilant about looking out for madeline, it just leads to pointing fingers. I agree the police will carry in with investigations but the public support is much needed in their enquiries.

Sheriff Waffles;1886601

The media's focus should stay on finding madeline, all the suing stuff is … The media's focus should stay on finding madeline, all the suing stuff is sort of like throwing scent of the tracks in my opinion. They should all agree where the priority is and suing papers will not keep the public vigilant about looking out for madeline, it just leads to pointing fingers. I agree the police will carry in with investigations but the public support is much needed in their enquiries.

If being sued by the parents didn't change their focus, do you really think this will?

And I am not sure how much of a much part the attention of the British press really plays in this investigation, given that this took place in Portugal? :thinking:

What is wrong with people???
    This bloke (whether innocent or not) has been made to sound like a paedo. If that was you....and there was no evidence...and now people hounded you, and your life was ruined......well...you would be maddddd.
    He has no hope of rebuilding his life. I would be wanting money. But no amount will save him from peoples opinions
    His life has been ruined, which is a tragedy in itself
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …57105
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1634
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764488
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)1821

See more discussions