Expired

Anyone else use a condernser tumble dryer?

Found 29th Jan 2012
Hi all.

Really just wondering if all condenser dryers are noisy and also if anyone can recommend a good one as mine has just died :-(

I have a White Knight (think it was called 767) which I paid about £180 for 8 years ago so can't really complain. I was happy with how it worked but it was bloody noisy - I was wondering if condenser dryers do tend to be noisier than vented ones as my MIL's White Knight vented dryer is very quiet but was hoping someone could clear that up for me.

Thanks all x
Community Updates
MiscDryerTumble Dryer
37 Comments
I have a hot point black condenser dryer, it's fine.
Wouldn't be without it!
What's wrong with it?
Mine keeps blowing cold air every couple of years and takes me two mins and a couple of pounds to fix :-)
Mine's a Indesit its fine ,it isn't any noisier than my old vented one .
Edited by: "jeany123" 29th Jan 2012
Hi I have a zanussi condenser very good can't fault it
Hotpoint condensor, works a treat.
Original Poster
Thanks guys, my one suddenly started getting very hot, no water is going in the bottle, then the red 'bottle full' light comes on which stops the dryer working. I had the exact same problem last year and it cost £35 to fix - it was someone OH knew who fixed it but OH took it to his shop as it was too far for the guy to collect not only is it no good that the problem's come back so quick but its too much faffing around to get fixed again.

If youse could find the exact model for me to have a looksee (and wouldn't mind telling me how much you paid) I would be so grateful - I don't know where to start
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/indesit-idc75-condenser-tumble-dryer-white-02528751-pdt.html

about £200, 20 months ago

Just checked we paid £229
Edited by: "jeany123" 29th Jan 2012
juiceblaster

just gone to check model number and it's not a hotpoint lol, it is under the stairs so don't look at it very much. It's this one in the link, I paid £250 aprox 2 years ago.
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
juiceblaster

just gone to check model number and it's not a hotpoint lol, it is under … just gone to check model number and it's not a hotpoint lol, it is under the stairs so don't look at it very much. It's this one in the link, I paid £250 aprox 2 years ago.[url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.currys.co.uk%252Fgbuk%252Fbeko-drcs68b-condenser-tumble-dryer-black-09982552-pdt.html]http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/beko-drcs68b-condenser-tumble-dryer-black-09982552-pdt.html[/url]

Oooooooooooooosssshhhhhhh, yours is nice!!
Have a Beko model last 18 months, no problems and not noisy.
Original Poster

Thanks, that one looks nice and has sensor drying but a couple of terrible reviews when I am looking around, put me off a bit

That one looks similar spec to my White Knight one and I could also collect it tomorrow from the store, so gonna have more of a read on that one - only thing is that I wouldn't mind getting one with inbuilt sensor

Teeth_Extractor

Can't remember how much we paid, about 18 months … Can't remember how much we paid, about 18 months ago.http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product/tcd980k-hotpoint-ultima-condenser-tumble-dryer-black-21717.aspx

jeany123

[url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.currys.co.uk%252Fgbuk%252Findesit-idc75-condenser-tumble-dryer-white-02528751-pdt.html]http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/indesit-idc75-condenser-tumble-dryer-white-02528751-pdt.html[/url]about £200, 20 months ago Just checked we paid £229

juiceblaster

Ooh I love that in black, shame it wouldn't match the rest of my stuff!
Seems to have really good reviews but I want at least 7kg load as that is what my White Knight one is.
Original Poster

I am looking at this Candy one on Homebase - it is £249 but there is 20% off till midnight - it is 9kg load, has a sensor and 5 years parts guarantee, but I am confused by the energy usage...

Energy consumption: 4.5kWh per cycle based on dry cotton cycle.

which seems reasonable for such a big load

But then it says

Energy consumption: 1024kWh per year based on dry cotton cycle.

which seems crazy compared to my old one, for example, which says

•Energy consumption: 296kWh per year based on dry cotton cycle

Can anyone help me understand this, please? Is it a mistake?
Thanks x
Why not just buy another White Knight?
They are built in UK!

mine shrinks all my clothes up and gives me a big ball of blue fluff, which i then knit into a lovely cardigan for my granny twice a month

she's always ever so pleased
http://www.deals4u.co.uk/white-knight-96aw-condenser-dryer-with-time-delay.html

Plus they were awarded most reliable tumble dryer 2011 by Which magazine!
Original Poster
adison

Why not just buy another White Knight?They are built in UK!

I actually was considering it but the noise is just unbearable - I have to plan when we are all going to be out of the house so I can put it on! Our downstairs is open plan and the dryer is in the kitchen so we can't escape it
If I can get a timer one (like the Candy) that would be great even if it is just as noisy. If it has a sensor then I don't need to guess how long to leave it on for and a 9kg one would mean I can maybe do 2 loads at once
I am on my 2nd Zanussi in 18 years. When this dies I'll get the same again. Does a good job, good capacity and more reliable than my other appliances have been.
Original Poster
adison

http://www.deals4u.co.uk/white-knight-96aw-condenser-dryer-with-time-delay.htmlPlus they were awarded most reliable tumble dryer 2011 by Which magazine!

Hmmm... that actually looks ideal for me - another White Knight - with sensor drying - and delay timer Can't really find them around, though, and no reviews - wonder why? The link you posted is the cheapest for it but I've never heard of them, have you?

Thanks!
Original Poster
Lucyeff

I am on my 2nd Zanussi in 18 years. When this dies I'll get the same … I am on my 2nd Zanussi in 18 years. When this dies I'll get the same again. Does a good job, good capacity and more reliable than my other appliances have been.

Thanks, but they are a bnit out of my price range for the kind of features I am after
I bought a Beko 7230 just before Christmas. Very quiet, sensor drying and excellent reviews.

Available from Tesco

oh dear my bad, read your reply and thought mine is 7kg and does have sensor drying, it is Beko drcs76b and not the one in link. Will look for the right one looks identical to the other tho.

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Tumble-Dryers/buy-BEKO-DRCS76B-Tumble-Dryer/559741
this one

but also spotted this one in the sale looks very sexy
comet.co.uk/p/T…895
Edited by: "juiceblaster" 29th Jan 2012
Doesn't that all depend on how many times you use it in the year?

The top one for example would be 227.5 times used. The other one (assuming it uses the same amount of energy per cycle) would be just 65.7 times used. It's like 5 times a week compared to just over once a week, depends how much you use it!
Teeth_Extractor

Oooooooooooooosssshhhhhhh, yours is nice!!

I prefer yours, it matches my washing machine perfectly would you like to swap lol
we got one from John Lewis - Hotpoint TVM570P Vented Tumble Dryer, White - £159 - and its brill.
juiceblaster

I prefer yours, it matches my washing machine perfectly would you like to … I prefer yours, it matches my washing machine perfectly would you like to swap lol

Although yours looks swish, mine goes with the dishwasher, washer and fridge freezer, so don't think hubby would be pleased if I swapped!! Lol
It is smart though!!
X)
Banned
Mrs.Z

I actually was considering it but the noise is just unbearable - I have … I actually was considering it but the noise is just unbearable - I have to plan when we are all going to be out of the house so I can put it on! Our downstairs is open plan and the dryer is in the kitchen so we can't escape it :(If I can get a timer one (like the Candy) that would be great even if it is just as noisy. If it has a sensor then I don't need to guess how long to leave it on for and a 9kg one would mean I can maybe do 2 loads at once

if thats the case, why not just buy a white knight again and a timer plug (about £3!)?
Banned
yipykayay

I bought a Beko 7230 just before Christmas. Very quiet, sensor drying and … I bought a Beko 7230 just before Christmas. Very quiet, sensor drying and excellent reviews.Available from Tesco

surely all tumble dryers have sensors otherwise they wouldnt know when to stop.....
csiman

surely all tumble dryers have sensors otherwise they wouldnt know when to … surely all tumble dryers have sensors otherwise they wouldnt know when to stop.....

Mine doesn't, you just set the heat and the time, but the timer gets stuck so I did exactly what you say, put a timer plug on it!
Mrs.Z

Hmmm... that actually looks ideal for me - another White Knight - with … Hmmm... that actually looks ideal for me - another White Knight - with sensor drying - and delay timer Can't really find them around, though, and no reviews - wonder why? The link you posted is the cheapest for it but I've never heard of them, have you? Thanks!

Well I have seen them, but not used one, It works as a sensor dry or a timer dry and it has delay timer feature, These are the newest models available so will probably become more common through out this year.

Regarding the noise issue maybe you could pop into Comet or Curries and ask for a demonstration?

Do I need to say it again? These are built in UK which is a massive plus in my eyes
Banned
Benjimoron

Mine doesn't, you just set the heat and the time, but the timer gets … Mine doesn't, you just set the heat and the time, but the timer gets stuck so I did exactly what you say, put a timer plug on it!

Blimey! I;m surprised Tony Blair didnt mention that when he was on his green crusade against Tvs being on standby
csiman

surely all tumble dryers have sensors otherwise they wouldnt know when to … surely all tumble dryers have sensors otherwise they wouldnt know when to stop.....

Some just have timed programs, ie 20 mins 40 mins and so on. meaning if you set the timer for 60 mins and the clothes are dry in 40 it will keep on going wasting your electricity.
I had a White Knight 767 which died just before christmas.

I replaced it with this Candy GOC58F Price and the fact I could collect immediately being a factor.
It's so much quieter than the white knight and dries much more efficiently. The drum size is fantastic with a huge door so easy to load. You can specify what degree of dryness you want with the sensor dry depending on if you're hanging clothes up or ironing etc.. I haven't tried it yet but there is a rapid dry option for loads of up to 2kg.
The only downside to it is the water bottle is at the bottom and a little fiddly to get out compared to the white knight.
locket75

The only downside to it is the water bottle is at the bottom and a … The only downside to it is the water bottle is at the bottom and a little fiddly to get out compared to the white knight.

And there made in Czech Republic, Far East and Turkey

Edited by: "adison" 30th Jan 2012
I bought a Boschabout 2 weeks ago after doing quite a bit of research. (BOSCH Classixx WTE84105GB) £300 from curry's using 10% discount code.
The build quality seemed worth paying the extra for.
Grade B efficiency and the quietest of the cheaper models.

Some of the things I noticed when looking.
Indesit = Hotpoint, both do identical models just a different plastic front plate.
The Candy's water tray was really difficult to get to where as all the other brands had a pull out drawer at the top of the machine.
Original Poster

Thanks, I ended up going for the Candy one because of the Homebase discount e

Benjimoron

Doesn't that all depend on how many times you use it in the year?The top … Doesn't that all depend on how many times you use it in the year?The top one for example would be 227.5 times used. The other one (assuming it uses the same amount of energy per cycle) would be just 65.7 times used. It's like 5 times a week compared to just over once a week, depends how much you use it!

Sorry to be slow, but I don't get what you mean
I ended up ordering the Candy one anyway because of the discount which was ending at midnight. I am hoping that it's not going to be overly thirsty on electricity. It isn't coming until Tuesday 7th Feb so I am going to continue looking in the meantime.

lucerysmum

we got one from John Lewis - Hotpoint TVM570P Vented Tumble Dryer, White … we got one from John Lewis - Hotpoint TVM570P Vented Tumble Dryer, White - £159 - and its brill.

Thank you, but I need a condenser dryer as its not going near the window/sink

adison

Well I have seen them, but not used one, It works as a sensor dry or a … Well I have seen them, but not used one, It works as a sensor dry or a timer dry and it has delay timer feature, These are the newest models available so will probably become more common through out this year.Regarding the noise issue maybe you could pop into Comet or Curries and ask for a demonstration?Do I need to say it again? These are built in UK which is a massive plus in my eyes

I get what you are saying about it being made in the UK, but I need to buy something one that's best going to suit my needs and when I am spending that kind of money I need to see some good reviews to make me confident that it's a good buy.
Thanks for the idea about going in and asking for a demo, I am going to try and do that before the Candy arrives

locket75

I had a White Knight 767 which died just before christmas.I replaced it … I had a White Knight 767 which died just before christmas.I replaced it with this [url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.argos.co.uk%252Fstatic%252FProduct%252FpartNumber%252F4810461%252FTrail%252Fsearchtext%25253ECANDY%252BDRYER.htm]Candy GOC58F[/url] Price and the fact I could collect immediately being a factor.It's so much quieter than the white knight and dries much more efficiently. The drum size is fantastic with a huge door so easy to load. You can specify what degree of dryness you want with the sensor dry depending on if you're hanging clothes up or ironing etc.. I haven't tried it yet but there is a rapid dry option for loads of up to 2kg. The only downside to it is the water bottle is at the bottom and a little fiddly to get out compared to the white knight.

Thanks, I actually went for the Candy GOC590C which cost me £200 with the discount - it has 9kg load, sensor and delay timer, all features I was looking for. I am so happy to hear that your one is quieter than your White Knight and that it dries more efficiently - my one was taking about 2 hours to dry one load of clothes by the time it died. Didn't realise about the water bottle being fiddly and at the bottom (I may go and have a look in Currys to see if there's one on display) but as long as the bottle's big enough that I don't have to empty it every single day then I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks again for your recommendation - you are actually the ideal reviewer for me LOL!

MrWani

I bought a Boschabout 2 weeks ago after doing quite a bit of research. … I bought a Boschabout 2 weeks ago after doing quite a bit of research. (BOSCH Classixx WTE84105GB) £300 from curry's using 10% discount code.The build quality seemed worth paying the extra for.Grade B efficiency and the quietest of the cheaper models.Some of the things I noticed when looking. Indesit = Hotpoint, both do identical models just a different plastic front plate.The Candy's water tray was really difficult to get to where as all the other brands had a pull out drawer at the top of the machine.

Thanks very much for the reply but, to be honest, I wasn't looking to spend that much on a dryer

Edited by: "Mrs.Z" 30th Jan 2012
Well I hope the Candy is good, But still believe we should all be trying to buy British where ever we can.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions