Expired

Anyone else watching britains hidden hungry?

Found 30th Oct 2012
It has really shocked me how people who were in seemingly secure well paid jobs and suddenly have the rug pulled from under them and be left with nothing at all. It really could happen to anyone. I also think the volunteers do a great job at the food banks procuring food for an ever increasing amount of people.
Community Updates
MiscBritaWatch
45 Comments
Three dogs though ...priorities are slightly off.
okay now i am shocked by darren the conman.
key words were "entitlement benefit" not just darren. but sickening to say the least
Darren has only done something that lots of clever people in desperate situations would do.
It's a bad place and really sets in concrete the need for us all to stop buying what we can't afford.
That includes having pets while on benefits.
Felt for a lot of them dont agree they should sell all their belongings thou. tinkerbell have you ever sold anything you would get next to nothing for it did you not see on the program the young girl getting £20 for a laptop. I was suprised all the dogs living with the woman with the 2 kids do foodbanks give out pet food as well.
She moved house at the end of the film so she did downsize to save money.

Take your point though she had stuff to sell.
but I would struggle to sell some of my kit if i was in that situation probably more willing to miss meals that sell some of the stuff i am emotionally attached to.
3 dogs a huge tv with xbox and a decent computer, sell something for gods sake!
No! I'm reading this thread (_;)
Almost all their stories were **** and the programme was very misleading, quoting things like "she's got £55 per week for her and her 5 kids to live on." This is absolute horseshit. I know because I'm a benefits and debt adviser. You can actually stop those high interest loan companies taking money out of your account. The black woman as well lying about her getting a job for £71 pw and everything stopping. Er no, you'd still be getting Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit for your kids and if your Housing Benefit was cut in half then that would have been because you're getting working tax credit but you conveniently forgot to say all that. Plus the girl who was a care leaver, she was nice enough but her story wasnt presented acurstroy either. She wasn't getting any income because she'd not iept in touch with her care team, plus she would have got benefits if she'd studied part-time - her choice. She also lived with her boyfriend it was revealed at the end. What was he doing to help them? And the con-man, I kept thinking how come he hasn't got any money put away if he had a senior management position?! And his obviously made-up phone-call about the delay in getting his benefit, i was thinking, you don't need or wouldn't be offered an appointment for that. Then it became clear he was full of it. If my kids were starving I would sell every damn thing I owned. I see people all the time crying poverty when they've got iPhones, Sky TV and cars. They are either braindead or selfish and expect everyone else to pay for them. I also see people in genuine need and who do have a pittance to live on - these tend to be the people that don't ask for help. It was sad to see that charity get exploited but even worse was the bad journalism that either didn't do enough research or chose to ignore the real facts.
trott3r

She moved house at the end of the film so she did downsize to save … She moved house at the end of the film so she did downsize to save money.Take your point though she had stuff to sell.but I would struggle to sell some of my kit if i was in that situation probably more willing to miss meals that sell some of the stuff i am emotionally attached to.

so you would rather starve yourself to death than sell your material goods?
perhaps she has the TV and pc on the never never and they arent hers to sell. I thought the idea was to help people before they end up homeless on the streets and the kids in care. Having said that I did think it was a bit much with the 3 dogs and am sure if he had dug a bit deeper that woman had something to hide. Some of my neighbours go to our local food bank i am lucky at the moment im not starving but worry if my circumstances change. The program had the opposite effect on me and I will donate to my local food bank from now on.
Not quite starve but miss meals to keep some of my stuff,
I thought for working tax credits you needed to do 30 hours now the tories increased it?

I know i cant claim because i am contracted 20hrs but do 30hrs but they will not change my contract to 30hrs so they can rip me off for holiday pay.
Nobody seems to have heard the phrase; Rainy Day ... They spend like there is no tomorrow, then their world falls apart because they have never considered " tomorrow ".
the majority of the people shown had recently hit on bad times im sure after a while they would start to sell their belonging etc but going from ok to down and out is rather a shock to the system lets hope you never have to go through it. Im sure most of us have commitments eg internet connection sat tv insurance cars etc that we would be obliged to keep paying until contacts are up even if we lost our income. Its so easy to get in to debt when you lose your job. I expect most of them expected it to be temporary but then reality hits.
tinkerbell28

What like your Apple Mac pc and 50" LCD, emotionally attached? I don't … What like your Apple Mac pc and 50" LCD, emotionally attached? I don't think so. If it is a choice between your five kids going hungry, or selling you mac and getting a cheap note book, then using the rest to feed your kids.No brainer really, but why would you? If its given to you for nothing. Last time I donate to a foodbank.

Yes seeing your kids go hungry probably would motivate you to sell yourself.
But i guess selling your computer means you are less likely to find a job.
The other stuff fine for a short term fix.
They all obviously need to start using this site for bargains.
just been thinking about the program and im wondering if it was real, first time ive ever seen a narrator give people money and not even because they were hungry but for a birthday and to get a computer back. Also i didnt think the job centre can give out imformation about peoples circumstaces.
Many of these people could easily downsize their properties, move to a cheaper location, sell their newish cars and run a cheap banger or even use public transport, get rid of Sky TV etc.

Sorry, I don't have much sympathy for them.
Just watched Britain's Hidden Hungry. Quite appalled. Apart from the fraudster (son's birthday 2 months previously etc), none of them looked like they were too poverty stricken (reasonable living conditions, nice decor, latest TV and equipment and well dressed (especially the children!). If people choose to have 3, 4, 5 children that they cannot afford, that's their problem - a child is just the same as any other commodity (huge stuck-on-the-wall TVs, Ipods,fancy cars, etc), so I have no sympathy with any of them. Also, whatever happened to the old saying "saving for a rainy day"? If they want to see real poverty, go visit the terrible conditions in Africa, India and Asia, and all sorts of other truly impoverished countries. In this country it's time we extricated ourselves from this ongoing Benefits culture. The only person in this programme that I have any sympathy with is Charlotte, being brought up in care and now trying to make a life for herself by training as a Social Worker. If anyone out there has a contact of some sort for her I would happily send her a few quid to help her on her way. Best wishes..........angry green-eyed of Blackheath
Inactive

Many of these people could easily downsize their properties, move to a … Many of these people could easily downsize their properties, move to a cheaper location, sell their newish cars and run a cheap banger or even use public transport, get rid of Sky TV etc.Sorry, I don't have much sympathy for them.

yeah they can say to their kids you can have something to eat when we sell the house
Or they could just go out and get a job. There's loads, just most people think they're better than the jobs on offer and won't go for them!
punkstoner1

No sympathy.1. They should have thought before breeding. If they do … No sympathy.1. They should have thought before breeding. If they do decide to breed, they should have the **** responsibility to alter their "lifestyles" accordingly.2. Social services should intervene if parents are so feckless that the children are hungry.3. If the feckless idiots cannot sell the house QUICKLY they should default on the mobile phone bill or sky bill. If people put things like this over the kids food, well, simply put, they deserve a bullet in the back of the head.

Bringing out the Jeremy Kyle in you, ha.
Your confusing me punkstoner, one post your telling them to change lifestyle next post your encouraging them to stay as they are.
elaen

yeah they can say to their kids you can have something to eat when we … yeah they can say to their kids you can have something to eat when we sell the house

They all get Child Benefit to feed their children.

Perhaps the government should issue food tokens instead of Child Benefit.
punkstoner1

Oh no, I don't blame the claimants for the whole prob.If you are on … Oh no, I don't blame the claimants for the whole prob.If you are on benefits and the benefits equal £xx,xxx a year, then you do not have do go off benefits unless you will be better off in work.To a scoat family taking lets say £25k in benefits, they are never gonna find work to give them that money(they would have to perhaps earn £38-40k before tax), so they stay on benefits.In other words, the law WANTS them to stay on benefits.System is broken.Badly worded, bad grammar and spelling, but it's late, I'm tired and I've been smoking

Let you off as ive got gripes with both issues too.
Inactive

They all get Child Benefit to feed their children.Perhaps the government … They all get Child Benefit to feed their children.Perhaps the government should issue food tokens instead of Child Benefit.

Food tokens and clothing tokens for child benefit.

Also for normal benefits they should get food, housewares, clothing and utility tokens to make up most of their payment. Saves em blowing it on fags booze and bookies
punkstoner1

Oh no, I don't blame the claimants for the whole prob.If you are on … Oh no, I don't blame the claimants for the whole prob.If you are on benefits and the benefits equal £xx,xxx a year, then you do not have do go off benefits unless you will be better off in work.To a scoat family taking lets say £25k in benefits, they are never gonna find work to give them that money(they would have to perhaps earn £38-40k before tax), so they stay on benefits.In other words, the law WANTS them to stay on benefits.System is broken.Badly worded, bad grammar and spelling, but it's late, I'm tired and I've been smoking

How can I get £25k in benefits?

I want a piece of the action lol
I would just like to add, i had a great job in engineering but am now on jobseekers due to a major downturn in local jobs. I went and pawned my £400 guitar for a measly £50, i didnt want to but times are hard. And these cash generator/convertor places couldnt care less, when your in that position its just how it is.
nkb13

Three dogs though ...priorities are slightly off.

She had 7 dogs actually and a massive tv screen and son playing on latest console, while eating takeaway pizza and onion rings, how is that struggling and she was getting like free £100 bags of shopping, was i missing something ?
The problem as I see it is that you can look at any area of society to see people who others perceive as cheating.
Whether they be politicians with expenses, companies making their real business tax avoidance, high flying company execs getting paid in shares or other such things to reduce their tax liability, traders who encourage you to pay in cash. The list is endless.

It totally does not excuse what the cheaters on this programme were doing as it was supposed to be aimed at the most needy. But the attitude seem to be endemic throughout all levels of our society today.
my sister has just hit hard times i am lucky i have a good paid job so at the moment i am helping to pay her bills and buy her food while she gets back on track she is too proud to ask for help and keeps saying there are people worse off than me who deserves help, my family always comes first and i will glady pay for her whilst i am working and able too
tinkerbell28

I was watching it and just got really cross. They had their own cars, … I was watching it and just got really cross. They had their own cars, homes (mortgage), decent furniture, mac pc's, huge tv's, designer jewellery.If I fell on hard times. The first thing I'd do, is sell all of that so my kids did not go without food. They aren't the "starving" I thought food banks helped. Genuinely skint, homeless people, in temporary accommodation etc. Like the young girl. I'm my book you aren't skint when you havee got thousands upon thousands of goods to sell.

I so agree. Food banks should be for people who have a genuine need - using a food bank when you have 4 dogs, widescreen tvs, nail extensions, cars, mobile phones all of which are luxuries, is a disgrace. I brought my daughter up single handedly from the age of 2 and suffered several periods of unemployement. I always managed to feed her and myself and during these times gave up ALL luxuries. It was clear from the prog that some of these people did not have life skills such as cooking, shopping sensibly(buy from discounted section and find out when goods are marked down to lowest) and budgeting. Free courses on life skills should be provided. I thought the programme was fair and balanced as it shouwed those with a genuine need, those who did not but thought they did and a con man. Darren wherever you are, I hope you are in hiding. Shame on you
Agree, how can you go and pick up your free £100 bags of food in a new people carrier car as well ? surely if your hungary enough you would sale your car or at the least downgrade it.
jellybaby22

I know when I first had my eldest daughter..I was seriously … I know when I first had my eldest daughter..I was seriously skint....after everything was paid I think if I remember right I had about £10 a week for food....luckily my family helped me out..but..I certainly didn't have a car..I didn't buy new clothes... Or have a brand new tv....It seems to me these days ...people feel like they are entitled to all the latest gangs and luxuries...full sky package..broadband....if you can't afford it..you don't have it...feeding you children is number 1 priority..I didn't see that on this programme tbh...( before any tags are added..I wasn't on the dole...I was a student and worked too

I would like the latest gang?
didnt see this programme - glad i didnt; i would have got really annoyed by the sounds of it!
Back in November 2001, I was homeless and living literally on the streets, luckily after two weeks of that, our local homeless shelter had a space available and I managed to secure it. I will always be extremely grateful to the people who ran the shelter and gave me the chance to start getting my life back on track. The shelter was only open from 7pm at night until 9am in the morning, which meant wandering around during the day, trying to keep warm/dry. Finding a job during that time was impossible as you need an address that's not temporary, though I kept applying. Food-wise we got a decent cooked meal in the evening and usually some sort of hot breakfast in the morning, provided by charitable donations and occasionally larger companies like Marks and Spencer. Many homeless turn to drug/alcohol to get through the hours until the shelter opened again at 7pm, though thankfully I managed to resist that particular way of coping (once in that cycle it's very difficult to break out of it), until I finally was placed with a local Supported Housing Association in a shared house. Six months later I was volunteering at my local shelter, by that time they had opened a day centre which provided soup and sandwiches for the homeless, again donated by the kind-hearted people of my city.
So please, don't let programmes like the above put you off donating to those actually in need, if you have doubts about a particular food bank, find your local shelter and donate food there or find out which charities are conducting soup runs and take part in those. The situation for many is unfortunately going to get a lot worse, at which point those like some featured in the programme will really understand what it is like to have nothing
I didn't watch the programme, but sounds to me like some of the people on there could've done with some financial advice, instead of just free food. Am I right?

I was homeless a few years back, sleeping in the back of my car until I could get adapted housing due to disability (hence why leaving job before that time, it was physical work). Meals weren't the most healthy, but I survived. Of course I had no fridge so buying milk was a no go and being diabetic, having more than one pen of each insulin on me wasn't a good idea. GP surgeries didn't to know me because of my no fixed abode status, so it was hospital each time.

But, I've since got an adapted flat and am getting back to how I used to be. It did however make me more alert to just how simple food can be to make and be healthy still.

If you look around my flat you'd think I'm doing alright, 32" telly, Xbox, PC, reasonable furniture etc, but most of it was purchased when I was working and things like the telly (HD ready only!) and PC are about 4 years old-ish? Xbox is actually an upgrade, I sold my old one which I got donkeys years ago on eBay and purchased my current one thanks to a good deal from here (total upgrade cost was about £20), so it's about 2 years old now I think. It sounds like the silly idiots on the programme needed some financial advice rather than free stuff.
Edited by: "moose109" 31st Oct 2012
jellybaby22

Smart ass...predictive on my iPad......it's great being on the dole X)

I would love to be on the dole lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants