Anyone ever had the following eBay message?

Found 2nd Apr
"We’re writing to let you know that activity on your account may not be following an important eBay policy that requires all transactions and payments to be completed on eBay. Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay aren't allowed. This includes:

- Offering or requesting contact information or links within a member-to-member message without a recent transaction
- Displaying contact information or links in a listing except as allowed in the policy or required by law"

Lady was interested. But as I haven't heard anything in days and listing has ended I haven't bothered re listening item
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments
It's their new (6 months or so) policy. You are not allowed to ask/answer questions about the location of an item, talk telephone numbers or anything that eBay may decide is an attempt to breach the policy. One strike, next is a suspension (according to the eBay boards).
I got a warning for buying outside of ebay. Asked someone if they had a BIN price, he said you can pay directly through paypal or they would relist when back home. So I said I would buy through ebay, he got home took listing down, relisted and I bought. Ebay saw this as buying outside of ebay. Got a warning, absolutely dumb. Nothing you can do about it really think its an automated bot picking up certain actions or keywords.
Collection only and cash on collection in your listing gets this responce.
Original Poster
larrylightweight3 m ago

Collection only and cash on collection in your listing gets this responce.

Thanks Larry so they don't actually follow suit? Just a automated bot?
What about when you are selling a car? Can't exactly post it!
Original Poster
Zek15 m ago

Has to still go through eBay for them to make there 10% chunk in commission lol
Zek22 m ago

Then you are supposed to use paypal for the transaction either before you set off or once you are at collection point.
But as you can imagine this could cause a whole host of problems. What ebay wants you to do and actually following the rules are two different things.
One problem is somebody collecting from your address paying with paypal and them claiming a paypal chargeback a month or so later because you have no recorded postal reference they get refunded via paypal. Then its up to you to go court and get your money back but by then ebay and paypal account closed down and they were false details they gave you.

If its large bulky items for collection only i used to ask for cash only like many others then click payment received ebay are trying to slowly get rid of this as some people don't click payment received and ebay don't get its fees.
Edited by: "larrylightweight" 2nd Apr
machomansavage29 m ago

Thanks Larry so they don't actually follow suit? Just a automated bot?

They can track key words within your listing to flag up a automated or even human responce.

By the way my suggestions was only one reason you may have got that message it could be another reason altogether.
Did you put cash on collection in your listing discription.
Zek35 m ago

Agreed thats why people put collection and cash only.

Here is a link to the scam i was talking about be careful out there guys.

community.ebay.co.uk/t5/…901
larrylightweight40 m ago

Then you are supposed to use paypal for the transaction either before you …Then you are supposed to use paypal for the transaction either before you set off or once you are at collection point. But as you can imagine this could cause a whole host of problems. What ebay wants you to do and actually following the rules are two different things. One problem is somebody collecting from your address paying with paypal and them claiming a paypal chargeback a month or so later because you have no recorded postal reference they get refunded via paypal. Then its up to you to go court and get your money back but by then ebay and paypal account closed down and they were false details they gave you. If its large bulky items for collection only i used to ask for cash only like many others then click payment received ebay are trying to slowly get rid of this as some people don't click payment received and ebay don't get its fees.

That's pretty insane if they expect people to do that! You have to rely on the good will of people not to do a paypal chargeback on a car as you will probably lose your money! I know with motors you pay £10 to list, some people ask to see the car and a deal is done off ebay and then they just cancel the listing, so ebay lose a bit of final value fees but its just greedy. But they also have classified ads too, where I'm guessing they have to allow phone numbers to be exchanged. It's about time some solid alternative to ebay was set up.
Good post, i have had this warning from ebay as well loved to hear all the different opinions
£500 car for sale, postage £2000 via Eddie Stobart. Paypal only.

Can you still use bank transfers and cheques to pay for items on ebay? Might be time to go back to the old days! Not sure I want to wait for cheque to clear though.

Thanks for the scam link. I got scammed recently on eBay, I stupidly sold a years PS online code and sent it through ebay messages, got hit with a unauthorised account use chargeback, they got the money back despite them doing it to 2 other people selling itunes vouchers. Reported to eBay and Paypal but person is still buying and selling.
Edited by: "Zek" 2nd Apr
Original Poster
larrylightweight1 h, 28 m ago

They can track key words within your listing to flag up a automated or …They can track key words within your listing to flag up a automated or even human responce. By the way my suggestions was only one reason you may have got that message it could be another reason altogether.Did you put cash on collection in your listing discription.

No but as i was selling it for my dad i put his contact no is description
Original Poster
larrylightweight1 h, 35 m ago

Then you are supposed to use paypal for the transaction either before you …Then you are supposed to use paypal for the transaction either before you set off or once you are at collection point. But as you can imagine this could cause a whole host of problems. What ebay wants you to do and actually following the rules are two different things. One problem is somebody collecting from your address paying with paypal and them claiming a paypal chargeback a month or so later because you have no recorded postal reference they get refunded via paypal. Then its up to you to go court and get your money back but by then ebay and paypal account closed down and they were false details they gave you. If its large bulky items for collection only i used to ask for cash only like many others then click payment received ebay are trying to slowly get rid of this as some people don't click payment received and ebay don't get its fees.

I wouldn't know where tp start with a car sale how dp auto trader operate for motors? They like ebay?
machomansavage4 m ago

No but as i was selling it for my dad i put his contact no is description

That would trigger a responce i expect.
Zek2nd Apr

£500 car for sale, postage £2000 via Eddie Stobart. Paypal only.Can you s …£500 car for sale, postage £2000 via Eddie Stobart. Paypal only.Can you still use bank transfers and cheques to pay for items on ebay? Might be time to go back to the old days! Not sure I want to wait for cheque to clear though.Thanks for the scam link. I got scammed recently on eBay, I stupidly sold a years PS online code and sent it through ebay messages, got hit with a unauthorised account use chargeback, they got the money back despite them doing it to 2 other people selling itunes vouchers. Reported to eBay and Paypal but person is still buying and selling.

ARRR the digital code scam another one of my pet hates on ebay i occasionally buy NowTv passes off ebay but wouldnt dream of saying digital code never worked if it did just to get a few pounds back.
Scammers on ebay all year round but it gets a whole lot worse a month before Christmas people buy and becuase money is short claim it never showed up or anything else to get some money back.
machomansavage19 m ago

I wouldn't know where tp start with a car sale how dp auto trader operate …I wouldn't know where tp start with a car sale how dp auto trader operate for motors? They like ebay?

They just have a listing fee I think, with some premuim features to get your ad seen, same as ebay. But auto trader don't have a final value fee I believe.
larrylightweight24 m ago

ARRR the digital code scam another one of my pet hates on ebay i …ARRR the digital code scam another one of my pet hates on ebay i occasionally buy NowTv passes off ebay but wouldnt dream of saying digital code never worked if it did just to get a few pounds back. Scammers on ebay all year round but it gets a whole lot worse a month before Christmas people buy and becuase money is short claim it never showed up or anything else to get some money back.

I had the code for years and didn't use it, I thought I might use it but never did, so when a £1 fvf day came around I sold it for about £10 more than I paid for it to a woman, who I thought was less likely to scam me. I put on the listing will be sent through ebay messages so that probably attracted the scammers like nectar to a bee (not that I knew this at the time) about 4 days went past then got a paypal chargeback, first one I have ever had. I checked on the PS website and it said this code has already been used of course but paypal didn't care, I also didn't have screenshot proof that the code wasn't used before I sold it but I doubt it would have made a difference to paypal if I had the proof, since the buyer was claiming unauthorised account use, not faulty goods.

At least I now know not to trust people to always get recorded delivery.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants